1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to farming and animals?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Sir_Edward, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Do you think there should be farming/animal sheperding in kag beta?

1. yes

77.3%
  2. no

22.7%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Sir_Edward

Sir_Edward Builder Stabber

Do you think there should be farming/animal sheperding in kag beta?
    * yes 26 vote(s) 74.3%
    no 9 vote(s) 25.7%

I think the polls are clear. I'll be changing the poll about what people want implented.

-edit seems like i cant change poll, i will have to make a new thread. please lock this thread, i think its done.

So for a time there was a long detailed video and a thread about farming, animals, and the war economy; more food = more/faster respawns and gave builders more things to do.

What happened to this, will it be implemented, and should it be implemented?

as it is now, the hamburger stand basically pops food out of thin air, people rush to the longboats with siege engines, and there is no agriculture/economy implemented. I think that farming and herding was a good solution to the problem of limited tickets. I think that this would also keep dedicated builders more engaged since they would sit around the castle waiting to repair something, or at best continuously adding additions.

if anything collecting food for tickets and respawn times should make for a more cautious team centered game because people would focus more on building up resources and building the fortress, rather than just running around like idiots slamming themselves against the gates until it disintegrates. I am genuinely disappointed after a thorough search on these forums that this seems to have fallen off the grid, and so I thought I would bring this up since no one else noticed.

On a final note, i do realize this was removed because it was tedious the way it was set up before. Understandable. Throwing away a feature instead of trying to balance it? Incomprehensible. below are my thoughts on how we could go about it, but firstly, this thread exists for like minded people to back it being added again; how it actually works ingame is irrelevent, as long as its in there, so my idea is merely an idea.

If you support this idea, please post your thoughts on how it should work! a drone of people that want a feature but dont know how to make it playable will only result in nothing being added.
    Thank You

New Buildings = Chicken Roost (workshop chicken spawner max 5 at a time), Bison pen, (bison spawner 3 at a time) slow respawns for these as to not overpower.
    New Mechanics = Meat harvest. hack a animal up and bring the meat to the hall. wheat goes to bakery for baking burgers. meat adds spawn tickets. running out of meat supply will slow spawns down.
    New Tool = pushmower (cuts tall grass quickly), till rig (tie on the back of bisons to turn multiple bricks into soil quicker, so long as you have a tamed bison)

Quite simply, before harvesting was tedious enough that it was a distraction from the main game. this proposed system would be less intrusive, and more intuitive than before, adding an important aspect to the game; economy.

The hall would start off, and a player would look for wild wheat, which would yield wheat seed. said player could either hold on to it, mine gold, and buy a lawnmower, and trim grass manually to prepare for tilling. then a player would of course have to till the ground; he can do so manually, or tame a bison (either wild or spawned from bison pen) to till the ground for him on short grass blocks. any growth would prevent tilling on that tile, but would cut the grass down so a player could manually till.
    The player then would take the wheat seed unit and throw a mist of seeds out 5 blocks, seeds flying. 10 seeds would be released and each seed would have a 33% chance of growing a plant, which would show immediately on successful planting. Player can then take the lawnmower or collect wheat by hand, and turn it into the bakery to make hamburgers. if the bakery is out of wheat (1 wheat per hamburger), then no hamburgers will spawn.

Animals would be much more strait foward, build a pen, kill the animal, bring the meat to the hall. chickens add 1 ticket, bisons would release 5 cutlets that would each give 1 ticket. chicken coup would spawn a chicken every 30 seconds up to 5 chickens, a bison pen would spawn a bison every minute up to 2 minutes.
    short version:
    so yes, we need to have players bringing stacks of wheat to the bakery and chunks of chicken and bull meat to the hall refill spawn and respawns. the only thing which would raise tickets is slaughtering animals, whereas the wheat harvest would "fill" the bakery allowing it to produce hamburgers; without wheat there would be no production.

also, if this becomes popular, i will take a whack at graphics for the new items/buildings.

https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/bringing-it-all-together-slowly.8958/#post-147137 -devlog post on farming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwufFZ8zvgE -beta video saying it would be in beta

2. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

no more minecraft please we already have enough

inactive_account likes this.
  3. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

MM said a while ago farming was dropped because, for the first day, all the testers thought farming was cool and everything, but after a while, no one wanted to sit at base and tend to crops for 5 minutes.

4. Sir_Edward

Interesting. still, it seems a shame to kill it off completely doesn't it? oh well, maybe a mod will come out for it. for sure a minecraft version of farming would be tedious, but seeing peasants running around, killing cattle and reaping wheat would be nice, maybe player involvement would give the team a boost instead of the whole thing being player ran?

Blubahub likes this.
  5. Hallic

Hallic Haxor

i do sure hope there will be a propper economy mode, where migrants get supplies from the towns chest in order to build their items.

6. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Well, there's the research rooms.
    </br>--- merged: Jul 30, 2013 10:37 PM ---</br>
    My thoughts on this: I think it would be cool if there was a farmer class that can only build farm blocks, barns, etc.
    They are the only people on the team that can get seeds and they have to plant them for food/health/spawns.

7. underwaterbear

underwaterbear Shipwright

After throwing myself into enemy swords over and over for fifteen minutes, I wouldn't mind tending crops for awhile here and there.

NinjaCell, PinXviiN and kaizokuroof like this.
  8. eamono

eamono Arsonist

No offense but it sounds like the farmer class is just the builder class wearing a groucho-mask and doing different stuff. We don't need another class, let alone another class that is useless in combat

Ninja12 likes this.
  9. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Ok, I can understand that. I get it. I didn't really think it through, did I? :)

10. Sir_Edward

Updated original post.

11. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

I think respawns should be given to people who have benefited to the team, if you kill x people you should respawn y times, or if you build x workshops you respawn y times.
    If farming is implemented it shouldn't be for respawns it should be for food for the players.

12. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

Maybe this could be implemented into zombie mode?
    If you don't have enough food all of your migrants working for you would starve and DIE

Matius likes this.
  13. Sir_Edward

Zombie mode, food for players, all game to me, i just want to have it in the game in some form. it just seems such a shame to throw away a awesome concept like that.

14. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

The farming mechanic alone was extremely unintuitive and encouraged people to be useless assets for their team. Anything that causes the player to sit in the base performing menial tasks which an automaton could easily perform is dumb, and all you're asking for is farmville.

Edit: Even farmville didn't require you to sit there and manually perform menial labour, thus I have concluded farmville is more intuitive then KAG beta at the moment. (Farmville > KAG Beta).

Edit Edit: You know what else is good solution to the problem of limited tickets? Unlimited tickets BAM!

Yagger likes this.
  15. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

But in zombie mode, you are supposed to sit in your base :D

16. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Luckily there's certian commands what spawns you seeds and crops, kitchen and cooked meat. But I really got dissapointed that it was removed.

17. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

You mean the testmode commands?
    I think you can activate it by going into the console and typing sv_test 1 or something.

18. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Yep, ment the commands. Kitchen is kinda bugged though.

19. Duke_Jordan

Duke_Jordan King Arthur's Knight Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I'm not one to be a good warrior or archer so I wouldn't mind tending the crops and building I think I'd benefit my team more by doing so but then again at times I want the action of battle so I can see why it might be dropped however maybe future gamemodes can have this type of teamwork and if it may be possible one without a hall so its like the early beta rather than you need halls for workshops and such.

20. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Have you heard of "Periods"?
    If you're not a good knight go practice in battle, that'll help more than minecrafting.
    Yeah, those are still in game, not sure what're talking about.

Mods: Rainbows