1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Saw

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Raelian, Jul 1, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Alright, so... I hardly see the saw used these days except as a trap component for those amusing little pits and most of the times it's a real pain to build an efficient saw holder so most players seem to not bother with them from what I've noticed.

Anyway... my suggestion is the following: why not make the current saw as a immobile trap component which you can 'fix' to a back-wall and add a second hand-held saw similar to the drill which allows the players to easily (and safely) mow down tree stumps. The hand-held saw could be similar to the drill in damage, cool-down and overheating but it will prove much more efficient in cutting down trees or turning tree stumps in to wooden planks.

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  2. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

Handheld saw is a nice idea indeed, just small sprite replacement and few code changes, I also think it would be nice as a weapon for builders, it needs to overheat too obviously.

jimmyzoudcba likes this.
  3. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

On the handheld saw I idea you can use a drill as a chainsaw btw.

4. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yeah, a chainsaw might be a good idea. I'd still like to have the saw option though (for use with conveyor belts, obviously).

5. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

I agree, but make it do no dmg on players

6. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Why? Drills are used for digging and can still damage players to some extent... I fail to see why a chainsaw should lack any damage potential when used on players. For balance reasons I suggested that it did the same damage as a drill did.

7. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

because drill is an advanced tech and it cost stone while saw only cost wood and is one of the first techs, futhermore I can't understand why you wan't two items to do the same thing.

8. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

drill
    noun
    Machinery, Building Trades.
    a.
    a shaftlike tool with two or more cutting edges for making holes in firm materials, especially byrotation.
    ol.​

chain-saw
    verb (used with object)
    to cut or cut down (lumber, a tree, etc.) with a chain saw.

How are these the same? Also, show me a chainsaw that doesn't hurt you when you use it on yourself. Same goes to the drill.

9. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

I did not say they were the same I said "why do you wan't two items to do the same thing", and by that I meant killing people the same way... as a moderator you should not taunt people which only give their opinion, I guess.

10. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

If I'd taunt at you, that'd look so much more different than what I wrote. Anyway, Those two things would do damage the same way anyway since they both have moving parts and they're both mechanical tools.

11. benburger

benburger Builder Stabber

conveyor belts :)

But yeah, saws are a bit on the dangerous side - I'v been experimenting with tree farms, but haven't found a design that works particularly well. Sometimes I dig a tunnel under the tree farm with saws:

:tree:
    :dirt: :dirt: :dirt_bg: :dirt: :dirt:
    :dirt_bg::gear::gear::gear: :dirt_bg:
    :castle_wall::gear::gear::gear: :castle_wall:
    :castle_wall: :castle_wall: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :castle_wall:
    :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg:
    :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg: :dirt_bg:
    :dirt: :dirt: :dirt: :dirt: :dirt:

and for the most part it works! The major advantages are that seeds are replanted under the saw in the tunnel which you've no doubt connected to your base, so anyone who needs wood can walk through the tunnel, chop a tree, and not worry about losing/breaking the saw or seeds - also, if someone does grab the saw, they can jump into the the saw-spot, aim left or right, and throw - the saw will align itself perfectly every time.

Oh, and back-wall saw would be awesome. More lumber, less... dumber? XD

12. copper40

copper40 Casual Misogynist

I should also mention that Saws should NOT kill your teammates.

13. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

But, but the are deadly spinning blades of death ;-;

MrError likes this.
  14. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

That would be just dumb and lead to them being spammed everywhere just like the team-specific spikes were.

Guitarman likes this.
  15. Tsilliev

Tsilliev Haxor

Try to put stationary saw 2 blocks above the ground, behind trees, and it will cut all the wood.
    About the hand held chainsaw sounds like a good idea, but, the drill already cuts down trees and the wood as well, although a chain saw would cut it faster, and yield more wood.

16. Diago

Diago Builder Stabber

I think Raelian is right in saying that the sawmill should be immobile once placed whether for trap or carpentry purposes.
    Right now the distance at which you can pick it up is at odds with its size and function.

17. copper40

Well I still think that since the bases are colored depending on a team, they should still not kill our teammates. Just my opinion.

18. Duke_Jordan

Duke_Jordan King Arthur's Knight Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

i do agree saws depending on team colors should not kill are team but then again it was be spammed like monsteri said

19. copper40

We could also put a limit on them if we're going have them not kill teammates.

crackwise likes this.
  20. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Bad idea to fix something that is not broken

Duke_Jordan and Guitarman like this.
Mods: Rainbows