1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archers, again

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Ne3zy, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

outdated

2. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

3. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

One of the issues with archers now is they get up in your face and loose arrows quickly whenever you try to jab/slash at them. Then there is the fact that they can pop off a water arrow to stun you if you are chasing them, allowing them to stab you or fire enough arrows to kill you. Also yes, they have been nerfed before but they received bomb and water arrows afterwards making the nerf negligible or just useless.

4. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

I can easily kill archers guys.

Obviously you guys do not know how to kill archers and you need to touch up on your beta combat ;)

SlyStalker likes this.
  5. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I stopped playing an archer in beta and started playing a knight. Long story short, as a knight I don't have much trouble killing an archer, ESPECIALLY if you have a bomb. The trick is to keep shielding. :p

6. Vermilicious

Vermilicious Ballista Bolt Thrower

If you ask me, archers seems underpowered. Knights have more perks than archers do. Knights have more health, a shield, deals more damage (easier to target). And they have bombs.

7. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Except for the fact that they have bomb arrows to kill if you git, water arrows to stun, and fire arrows to set fire to unreachable places. And they can get fucking lucky with their knife and get a backstab.

8. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

in RTDM mode archers are balanced (even if they are too strong if played well, actually almost all archers are pretty bad) because there is no builder, but once they can camp somewhere or just shoot at you when you can't they are OP, even if they suck.
    They have so many types of useful arrows, even their medium charged arrows stuns you, only the fact they can attack you from distance in a 2D game is a very big advantage.
    I think they should buff their small arrows to 0.75/1 heart damage and remove 1 heart and the medium charged arrow stun.

9. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Confirmed for bad archer

I almost feel bad playing archer cause I can still out CQC knights with just normal arrows. The only advantage knights have is gliding really (which isn't a huge deal to be honest cause archer arrow climbing is so much easier). Shielding isn't much of an issue if you know how to move. They only have 1 more health, but even in 1v1 archer can still win, especially near trees. Knights only deal more damage if they are going to slash, but like I'll give you enough time to do that. Bomb kill radius is so much smaller than in Classic that it's easier to dodge. Additionally: Arrow Bombs > Bombs simply cause they are exactly the same except that Archers get that extra range. Knights are basically inferior in every way if you are actually any good at playing, knights are just simply easier to pick up.

Hopefully once knights get shield bash back, they'll be up to par with archers again. I'm not really afraid of knights right now, I'm actually more afraid of Ballistas, Catapults and War Boats simply cause you can't do much to those things as an archer, unless you have fire arrows/bomb arrows.

Monsteri and magnum357 like this.
  10. SuperTurdBoy

SuperTurdBoy Tree Planter

One answer. BOMBS. That is all i have to say.

11. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

Bombs can be dodged I hope you know. As an addition, you prepare your bomb, and the archer shoots you with a water arrow. You go BOOM!

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I can't say I have seen any good archers yet but it seems like they have all the tools they need to succeed. After archer was ruined more than a year ago I really don't think I can ever come back to archering but I really hope others can have fun with it the same way I used to have so much fun with the old archer. I think we will see lots of butthurt when a good archer or two comes around and unleashes hell. Bomb arrows are broken as fuck already and water arrows potentially have a lot of use for easily opening up enemies. Fire arrows might also become really good once everyone realizes lake maps are inferior to land maps.

13. Thiamor

Thiamor Horde Gibber
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I feel while they may be underpowered, there is one part of the Archer that is overpowered. that is the agility in which they have when grappling. I don't mind the speed at which it shoots out at first, but the constant spamming of it allows them to climb walls, ceilings, slide passed all traps in a matter of seconds.

There is no one else that can move that fast, thus it's actually abusing the game's physics. The rope and hook needs a bit of time and instability added onto it to nerf their swing time and their shoot time after it is first released and connected.

They really would need to be a bit more powered up in terms of offense and defense, but otherwise the grappling speed if far too quick.

14. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

I encountered a good archer the other day. It was inspiring. Now admittedly I'm not the greatest knight in the world so I wasn't utilizing my arrow slash/jab or using bombs. The archer in question never ran away but kept a safe distance so he could always be shooting arrows at me. My first instinct was to charge a slash so I could use the mild dash that comes with it to get closer, that proved to be a terrible idea as he could just stun me with a regular arrow and prevented any type of gap closing. Then next thing I did is charge him with my shield this also proved to be futile as it gave the archer enough time to charge a triple shot, letting him stun me then landing a bunch of arrows hits killing me. There were more encounters and I did kill him a few times but overall he was the more skilled player.

If he missed the first shot when I was charging my slash I probably would have killed him but he was very consistent in his positioning and accuracy. This was a team death match by the way. So I think becoming a good archer is very possible with the current mechanics its just you need a lot more patients and skill.

I would love see videos of good archers I think it would help in these balancing discussions because until you see the full potential of what a good archer can do all of this is just based off of personal experience.(which is the lack of encountering good archers)

Kouji likes this.
  15. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

^this. Archers are totally capable of 1v1 fighting with the proper mindset/understanding of knight mechanics.

Though in my opinion, arrow slashing is random, and never skillful as it's impossible to do reliably with latency. However it's kind of a necessary tool sometimes, if a knight wants any hope of taking me down.

Arrow JABBING on the other hand, is bullshit. Jabspammers just run at me, and there's a 50% chance that my arrows will just break off the tip of their stupid sword. If arrow jabbing was removed and shield hitboxes were fixed, i could live happily as an archer without complaints.

Ecued likes this.