1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[827][Gen] I find KAG very frustrating.

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Streaky_Haddock, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Streaky_Haddock

Streaky_Haddock Shipwright

I find it very frustrating because I fail to identify what would be useful, and a lot of my deaths feel like they couldn't be helped. I don't know what classes to use for when, how to help the team as a builder, why I keep dying instantly as a knight at full health when my power swipe doesn't kill other knights instantly.

It leads to me swearing at the top of my lungs, which a game hasn't made me do in a very long time, because I feel bloody helpless and angry. Especially when my team is losing, because it feels like i'm throwing myself into a meat grinder with no way to properly help my team, and the way kag works, it's a long a drawn out loss.

2. Well, Streaky_Haddock, kag is guaranteed to cause anger and frustration, simply because of the nature of multiplayer games. When playing a multiplayer game, people get really stupid. There is at least a 200 point drop in their iq. That is just the way it is.

There is a way to not be frustrated. Organize your team. It works 9/10. You mention "throwing myself into a meat grinder", and that is a common occurrence in KAG. The cause of this is knights going out alone into the battlefield. If you want to prevent this say something along the lines of "All knights meet at our frontmost tower" or something like that. It means you have to wait a little bit for knights to wait there, but once they do, you have 4+ knights going out to wreak havoc instead of just 1 at a time. If you don't feel you are very good at knight, don't try to be knight if it just frustrates you. Trust me, kag needs good builders.

For builder, getting frustrated with your team can be caused when there are no knights protecting you, people are building stupid things, archers are picking you off, etc. Usually, if it does not result in a class-change, a builder will manifest this rage at his or her team as minecrafting. "Minecrafting" in kag is when a builder is spending their time building extra defenses for the primary base instead of helping out on the front lines and assaulting. Minecrafting is never the answer. Ever. The primary place to build (besides the build phase, because you don't help your team if you are a knight during build phase) is at the front lines , and in two ways. The first is building ladders and such and helping your team's knight horde advance ( IE using ladders to climb up towers, getting rid of spikes, etc). The second is reinforcing taken towers/buildings to fit your team, fortifying your team's position on the map (Getting rid of ladders, replacing platforms and doors, changing the "direction" of the tower, or sometimes just taking the tower down). Just like a knight, never go out on the battlefield alone as a builder, because you are even more vulnerable. Get a party of knights/builders/archers together at your frontmost building at assault (instead of going out one by one) and your success rate will sky rocket.

3. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Birdman has known this feel, "swearing at the top of his lungs", many times in KAG and other vidya games in general.

Apronymous likes this.
  4. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

I have been playing video games my whole life , I'm 19 turning 20 now. It used to be all about fun , but its more in line with a hobby now. Just like golfer's can rage , I'm going to rage, I'm competitive and its not just a game anymore. I cant help it , its just my mindset.

5. Andr01d

Andr01d Bison Rider

The two best solutions for me: play on an unlimited server, so your team isn't crippled by needless deaths, and join a clan, so you can play more serious matches.

Taiga likes this.
  6. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Birdman pretty much covered everything.

All I have to say is to play on Action! or some other unlimited ticket server and just try to learn by doing. KAG has a bit of a learning curve, and it is the unique phenomenon of being a very teamwork-based game with a complete constant lack of teamwork in any scenario. I would suggest you just observe other builders, the building in KAG is pretty simple, and you'll start noticing patterns and dominate strategies/buildings that you can mimic and build off of. Ladders and hammers are always helpful as well, so you can hang around with rushing knights to break down walls or build around.

And if you want to play archer, just please go to the front lines. Don't camp in the back spamming arrows from a tower where no one can hit you. We don't need more of those archers.

It's tough at first, but once you start having fun by just playing with the usual suspects on a server, you'll probably get into it.

7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I was talking to someone else who was saying basically the same things as you. I've occasionally felt the same way, that no matter how hard I try I don't make a difference on the impact of the game. I'd recommend taking a short break, then coming back and playing on a low populated server. When there's less players your individual control over the game is greater.

In fact for most of beta's development I was feeling helpless too, but recently I gave it a try after a long break and found that I'm doing decently, getting 3KD consistently and pulling off lots of crazy moments thanks to bomb jumps. I really recommend taking a break then coming back to it with a calm demeanor. Beta can be really difficult or really easy to adjust to depending on your state of mind.

DrZaloski, Iamaclay and Geti like this.
  8. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This is the nature of KAG. You die, you analyze what happened, you die again, and again.

You need to persevere. I would recommend, as other players here have, join an unlimited slot server (only in Classic for now) or join a low populated server and explain that you are new. Maybe some players will help you out, but in any case I think that you'll learn new mechanics that way.

9. cschm49

cschm49 Shopkeep Stealer

You are the reason half the people on KAG rage

10. BrenSage

BrenSage Builder Stabber

Thank you, for the great advice :) This will really help me in the future :)

11. Taiga

Taiga Based God Donator

That or just play private servers, that's all I and a couple of others do.

12. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

Dude, I do this and I've been playing KAG for a solid year.

I'm not sure why, but my mind went off on a tangent about how communist governments encourage working for the community as a whole compared to the western ideal of working for yourself and loved ones. KAG totally has a communist nature. The little differences that each player makes amount to a functioning team that's able to carry out raids and defensive positions.

Huh.

Guitarman likes this.
  13. Makara

Makara Ballista Bolt Thrower

I'd highly suggest learning how to play builder advanced. There's allot of potential in that class which isn't being used.

Also maybe look for a clan so you play with a more organized team.

14. Ratka

Ratka Shipwright

Teach me how to do this. I get idiots on my team most of the time, except for the few times someone like UltraHamster, Kedram, or Rayne joins my team. Getting people organized is nigh-impossible as they just sit back minecrafting, frankly making me just collapse one of their useless structures to get them fighting or making factories at the least.

15. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

You know what helps me vent my anger in KAG, I just simply think of my team as lemmings and you need to carry them essentially across different traps and obstacles, I do 'minecraft' myself from time to time for a change. I do always wanted a very epic battle where everyone knows what to do not just on my own team but having it properly organized which is very rare, I still believe a lot of teamwork in game could have been achieved if we had in game voice chat with mics so we could direct each other more instead of typing, usually it's important to be a leader in your team not just by yelling how stupid everyone is but figuring out how you can help.

16. Boea

Boea Such Beta

B847
    Hilariously enough, I'm relatively new to the game [about 3 weeks of play], and in the middle of the second week, I made Contrary proud.

The sad fact is that I know nothing when it comes to anything, but apparently making sure that no workshop/factory-generated materials go to waste sitting in storage, or on the floor [ie, use bombs, and special ammo frequently]; but building materials need to be given a thought or two about how to use them.
    And a postscript: Change your class whenever you are in an enemy hall, or on the edge of it, it is amazing, and very useful.

[Postrcript: A Boogaloo] I agree with you on bs slashes of death and despair, they are more or less natural order of ping bias.

[Postscript: A New Groove] Archers [Not Mounted Bows] + Warboat = Unf

17. razor871

razor871 Catapult Fodder

Find which class your err..die less in and stick to that, eventually you'll get used to playing the game!

18. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

Control your anger, there is not need to get frustrated at KAG!

19. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

To be honest I can't play Beta at all, other jab spam..... Which well I suck at either way.

But what helps me is when I feel useless or need to refresh my mind I play Rtdm, when I last played Beta there was a couple of Rtdm's up but not too sure now... But they really help me. Basically Rtdm is small matches with no builder and you just fight, it doesn't require as much team work as the others

20. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Keep trying, It's the only way you're ever going to get better, and I think that there are 1 or 2 RTDM servers up right now.