1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

More "Faster Graphics" options

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Crabmaster, Jul 30, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

As I have noticed the amount of lag on my system(Though I expect a good bit will be fixed eventually) I am thinking for those who have computers that cannot handle the game as well there need to be more options to lessen the load!

Here are a few that may help:
    Particles On/Off - Turns off rendering of things such as the bits that come off blocks when mining, gibs from anything including bodies, factories, boats, weapons, and anything else that breaks off into bits and pieces when broken, water splashes, and anything that gives off any little effect that isn't needed to play the game.

Animations On/Off - Turns off all unnecessary animations such as factories, boats, and other animations that are not required for the game to work.

Smooth Lighting On/Off - When off the lighting in the game is made more blocky and not as good looking, might cause the user to not see as well as a result. (This one all depends on how the lighting engine is)

And that is about it for now, I've noticed my game just cannot handle the sheer amount of things flying about onscreen and comes to a crawl when lots of people are dying, or when a certain amount of objects like factories or lamps are onscreen, little things like turning off particles would REALLY help with all this, and I hope it might be sorted out in the future! Oh, and as one final thing, does anyone know how much RAM KAG uses, or if it just uses whatever your system has to give it? I know some programs and games are programmed to have a default memory usage, and I can't tell if KAG is hitting the top of its or if it doesn't have enough or WHAT is happening!

bru-jaz, BlueLuigi, Rocinante and 2 others like this.
  2. eamono

eamono Arsonist

My comp runs this extremely smoothly (30 FPS almost all the time) but I do think we need more graphic settings. Some of the more trivial things would probably boost performance when removed, such as gibs, factory animations, and bomb/keg sparks

3. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I do like have more video options . Also this game doesn't not include texture packs in different resolution which would also be a cool feature.

4. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Yeah, altogether more options would be nice, maybe some options to improve quality for those with better computers! Admittedly I'm not sure if it is purely the fact I have a lower end PC or if maybe the game isn't as compatible with certain graphics cards? No idea if that might be the case...I've had a few games have that issue!

Also, I wish more of the people in the community who have higher end PCs and can run the game fine would be more openminded when the topic of framerate comes up when playing the game, a good many don't seem to understand how many people playing the game have these issues...

5. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Yea those people who are like "PC Mustard race, my pc cost 2x as much as yours" are annoying

6. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

As far as I know, there is some optimizing going on.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  7. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Yeah my computer is pretty alright but I've been having some frame rate issues as well. Turning my resolution down to 800x600 solved the problems but I'd really like to play with a bigger window.

8. PinXviiN

PinXviiN Haxor

Ugh... That isn't 'extremely' smooth. It's 100 FPS, and my friend is having it on his computer while playing Cube World :P

9. eamono

eamono Arsonist

30 FPS is the limit :/ and most people get worse then that

10. Omen267901

Omen267901 Shopkeep Stealer

I do agree we could use some more options for graphics, like the ones suggested above. Also, what about removing the explosion animation (Or at least simplifying it) as an option.I personally get 30 FPS at almost all times. (except when Sedgewick is attacking me, or people spawn tons of kegs :p. Testing servers are fun.)

E: Also, I think the fps cap should be 60 instead of 30. It would provide more buffering before lag starts to appear.

11. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

:( I only get 30, but I do get 200 fps(even though i only see 60) when I dont use a tp on minecraft so thats weird optimization. Buts its ok I play on console so um used to it :D

12. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Seems we can all agree more options for both lower-end and higher-end PCs seems to be a good idea! I was gonna add the ability to choose texturepacks but I can probably assume that might be added when modding is 100% supported?

13. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

You can get texture packs right now. Its just has to be the same resloutiion I think. Well it was like that for classic

14. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I meant more like a menu to select them in ingame, instead of replacing the game's files manually. Like with Minecraft!

amgtree likes this.
  15. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Oh I like that idea

16. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Something like that will probably be possible when the "Mods" folder becomes functional.

17. Krux

Krux Shipwright

I just wanted to say that on modern GPUs even thos integrated cards everything that KAG does can be implemented fast 60 fps all the time without slowdowns. There is really no need to reduce any effect for anyone anymore. But the fact that it can be implemented fast doesn't mean that it is implemented fast. If you ask me, the game just needs more optimization with a bit of knowledge how to call the GPU correctly. There is very much that can be done wrong.

Particles
    GPU can render enough of them. I can't give you a number, but weak integrated GPU are even magnitudes higher than used in KAG

Smooth Lighting
    this doesn't affect performance at all. Lighting parameters of a quad/tile/polygon are automatically interpolated depending on the parameters on vertices/corners. Making them identical on all edges does only affect its appearance. For 3D meshes smooth lighting is even faster, because shared vertices can be used.

18. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

Dis aint no Bf3 or Whitcher 2 though. Also I have a "decent" pc and I always get locked in at 31fps, but never drops. And I get about 200 on mc.

19. Omen267901

Omen267901 Shopkeep Stealer

I get 10-30 on MC, and hover around 30 here. It drops sometimes though.

20. Krux

Krux Shipwright

being locket to 30 fps might get solved by disabling vsync.

Mods: Rainbows