1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

No shield in water ; Door for Boats.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Vania, Aug 14, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

Suggestions to make boats more necessary:

-knights cannot use their shields when in water.

-boats(longboat and warboat) have a "door" so only teammates can enter from water level.
    Or the ladder can only be used by the boat's team.
    This is so enemies cannot board it so easily.
    *Enemies can still board by jumping from another boat or jumping from higher ground.

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You darn boat lover.

I would agree on making the ladder team-only, but a door would be somewhat silly.

knights not being able to shield while in water would be lame as hell. Any sensible fighting would be non-existant. Do remember that there are also small ponds, not just giant ocean maps.

3. Krux

Krux Shipwright

+1 for no shields in water. Water gate ... nah no so much.

4. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

You're right about the ponds...

Well, to be honest just making the ladder team-only would make me happy.

bru-jaz likes this.
  5. bru-jaz

bru-jaz Haxor

i would think it inverse: I think that the shield is really necesary, imagine one archer or a knight with a bomb, etc atacking a defenceless knight. It would be frustrating.
    what i think is that slashing the sword is a really non reallistic feature (im dont meaning complete removing the attack with sword, only the strong one); also lighting bombs underwater! Come on... even throwing arrows within or trough the water? They are no bullets!

PS:excuse my lame school english

6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Better ideas.

Knights slowly drift to the bottom of bodies of water, and they can only slash their swords when touching the bottom. They can swim on the surface but slashing their sword immediately makes them fall down under the surface. This is because knights wear heavy armor so they shouldn't be able to float around in full iron and attack freely, even going faster than everyone else. It's pretty weird and unrealistic.

To make up for this, they should have 2x breath when underwater compared to the other classes.

This change would make water traps more viable (Perhaps allow one slash then a quick fall down, then they can swim back up and slash again.) and would give the other classes a chance to actually get away.

But eh, I like water combat as-is right now.

Hawxx likes this.
  7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Only issue I have with water combat is that you can't outrun Knights.
    I mean, come on - the powerhouses of the game get to move fastest in water? That's just unfair to the other guys.

I like your idea, Klokinator. I've always thought that Knights should sink in water.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Funny how cyclic suggestions are. We've tried making people sink in water and water generally more cumbersome several times in the past (often due to community pressure) - it just isn't any fun. Feel free to mod it into some "realistic" or "naval warfare" server.

The door in boats is something we've thought about a bit, honestly I'm not sold on it - the majority of times people get into boats that I've seen is people drive the boat right up against the enemy castle and then jump out. Boats that are further out in the water are easy enough to defend, and boats that are moving are generally unboardable by the enemy (they get hit by the boat). Where do you imagine the door being on the boat, and fitting into the design?

UnnamedPlayer and Crabmaster like this.
  9. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

Maybe, instead of a door, you have a trap-bridge? (I assume that's what they are called still.) allowing enemies not to spawn kill by denying them entry. It would be located just at the graphic cut line, so it wouldn't look hideous.

But hey, it's just a thought, I never spawn at Warboats anyway...

10. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Knights sinking in water was literally the worst shit regarding knight changes in early beta. There wasn't any fun with that, and if you didn't have dingys / boats (which are usually late game) / or a decent builder, it was a stalemate for ages. Fighting wasn't even that fun, because if you somehow fell in the water and got slashed back you were done.

Apronymous, Jlordo and Kazaco97 like this.
  11. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Well, I do agree that knights should be slower in water, but I'm only saying this because I feel like archers should have a speed advantage over knights. If I'm chased in water by a knight, 90% of the time I get one-hit killed because I couldn't use my grappling hook and he caught up to me using his slash. Using shield, however, shouldn't be taken away in water, but that's my opinion.

Reducing speed in water would be a much easier change, which would make boats more useful, make archers able to flee knights in water, WHILE not making combat too cumbersome. Dinghys might actually be useful!

I both think that the team-biased ladder and door on boats are good ideas. Why? Many maps have an area above where knights can just drop from. This leaves boats wide open to diving knight slashes of death, allowing ONE knight to easily take out an entire crew in one shot. A door would make the rowers safer, and a team-biased ladder would make it less easy to board.

The boats already have an Achilles heel as it is : bomb arrows (not counting kegs, catas and all the other destruction). The fact that they can be so easily boarded makes them way too fragile AND risky to back-fire on your team.

Crabmaster and Klokinator like this.
  12. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Team doors on boats is a good and bad idea.

Good for the gameplay.

Bad for the ascetics.

Everyone agrees knights should be slower in water, not sink, just be slower.

I would have liked to be around to try out the sinking mechanic, sadly I was not. The first thing I thought of was Sonic the Hedgehog with him not being able to swim and only run on the bottom and jump.

Oh well. I still think the doors would be good.

13. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

This is a game. Games are not suppose to be realistic, it's suppose to be silly and balanced. SO yea

14. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah I definitely agree water swimming should be slowed down for all the classes at the least and boats should be sped up. The fuck is the point of 2/3rds of the boats if swimming is both faster and better? Because they can ram stone blocks at the pace of a speeding snail? No thanks, let's make boats useful again.

Horse_That_Goes_Ni likes this.
  15. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Slower knights in water would be great...Today I outran the water that was spreading...yes...knights can slashswim faster than water can spread...

Also more useful boats would be lovely. Beta originally was mainly water based battles, which yes did get a bit repetitive because it was one of the main things at that time. But now things are mainly land based battles and the only reason people use boats are the warboats for a spawnpoint, a spawnpoint that is taken practically within seconds. Heck, Dinghies in CTF need to be bought the same way as warboats or longboats...which means you get them practically "endgame"...plus Dinghies are super slow...They are on my list of "neglected features".

Adding a team door to boats would work wonders...I'd rather the focus be destroying the warboat or powerhousing it enough to take it than just "Everyone jump in and capture it for ourselves!". Heck, the majority of vanilla water-maps for some reason are made up of overhangs instead of open empty ocean...so it is more logical to go over the water than through it, because your boat is useless and easy to jump in and capture from these overhangs.

So yup...slower players in water and more useful boats.

16. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

/sign/
    for team only ladders

17. SamuraiCupcake

So hum... I saw in the game's assets that there is a sprite for ''boat door''. Is there any specific reason why we decided against it, or was it just a consensus that they weren't necessary?

18. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

It would be good to add a door .Evreytiem i try to sit in a boat and drive , they step into the baot and kill evreyone.Doors would be usefull

19. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

Umm, how about something like this?

:blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::door:
    :blank::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::bridge::castle_wall::ladder:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall::blank::ladder:
    :blank::blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_bg::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::blank::blank::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:

The stone is just supposed to be the boat, I know it looks stupid... please don't yell at me.

emasame and Mysterieux like this.
  20. SamuraiCupcake

That's exactly what we're suggesting. Funny there's stone but no wood blocks in the emoticons XD.

Anyways I'll just bump what Geti mentioned about the door, so its more visible :

So I imagine the main problem is
    A) They're supposedly already defendable enough, but I don't agree with this myself
    B) They'd have to change the design to include the door

I still believe the doors are essential to balance the gameplay. Too many times the boats I set up immediately get rushed and captured within seconds and everytime my team gets angry at ''this person that is giving the enemy a free spawn point''. This is a problem.

Maybe we should make a vote?

Mods: Rainbows