1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Dota 2

Discussion in 'Other games' started by eamono, Aug 18, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. eamono

eamono Arsonist

I just got dota 2 a few days ago and wanted to know who all else played it. For those of you that don't know Dota 2 is a MOBA, or multiplayer online battle arena, where 2 teams of 5 are set out on opposite sides of the map and are tasked with destroying the enemies Ancient. Along the way you'll level up, learn new skills, buy new items, and defeating enemies.

Dota 2 is developed by Valve and is Free to Play on steam, so there is no reason not to try it.

2. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Tip 1. You have to wait for like 4-7 minutes for a match, and secondly it's a shame that players like myself paid $30 and now the game is free but I guess it's for the better eg more players.

3. Powse

Powse Haxor

You also got cosmetics towards your payment. And i think supporting the devs is a nice thing, they've done a tremendous job, don't always look at it as paying for rewards.

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

DotA2 > LoL

(despite clunky movement ingame due to turning delay)

Too bad my terrible laptop can't handle DotA2 with a playable fps though.

Canadian98 likes this.
  5. AJ

AJ Emperor of Mankind Donator

It was always optional to pay.It was never going to be pay-to-play and there where a million beta keys to get it for free.The match queue is also much shorter now i average 1-2 min to find a match.

EDIT: Also dont play All Pick play random draft.Its All Pick without the downsides.

6. Starcraft>Dota

nice UI and in-game streaming though

7. AJ

It does take alot more skill but more boring to watch and harder to get into.Easier to get into a game you can blame others for a loss in instead of yourself :p.

8. eamono

eamono Arsonist

Honestly I don't see why people are always comparing Dota and Starcraft, just because they're both strategy games doesn't mean their the same, different gameplay, different techniques, different everything. It's like saying Half Life 2 > Battlefield, they focus on different things. Starcraft is the much more skill based game, if you want to be good you need to learn macro, micro, special techniques, how to use hotkeys, how to use casters (well), unit counters, among other things. Dota 2 (IMO) is the much more strategic game, as being good at it requires good communication and participation from all players, but the dota 2 community is much worse than the starcraft community (which is already pretty bad) and has a rediculous learning curve.

Both games have their strengths

9. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

I guess you are like the unique player who paid for DotA haha!
    Everyone got keys!

10. u call it strategic game but u just pick hero and click 4 buttons lol

also one side is always better and game is always imba with many characters being massive power creeps.
    dota=noskill game for filthy casuals

11. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Well I actually got it from a friend so, ha ha towards him :3
    Im not sure but I think he had like 12 dota keys anyways too :P

12. eamono

eamono Arsonist

lolwut?

1. Over the course of a starcraft game your strategy changes massively, yes you have a build order that does different things but once you hit mid-game it's all about quickly responding to the enemy, it doesn't matter if your the most strategic because the one with better micro/macro will always win.

2. lol in starcraft all you do is pick race and press buttons lolololololololololol

3. one side is always better? well of course, it's the same in starcraft, if everyone was the same skill level blizzard wouldn't seperate players into different tiers would they?

Don't get me wrong, I love starcraft and I love dota, they both have things they do well and things they don't. If you like starcraft more then dota thats fine, alot of people do, but why not post about starcraft in the starcraft thread? you can go talk shit about all the noskill casuals that play dota all you cant over there. But shitting about dota 2 in a dota 2 thread is just being a massive troll, and from the sound of it your either bad at dota or just being a troll

13. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Obvious troll imba! Each game is cool but i think that starcraft, dear ej, is your new god. You seems a bit narrow minded sometimes!

14. AJ

I know your trolling but ill bite. Power creep isn't a big issue in this like League.There where many surprising picks at TI3 such as Crystal maiden who was considered to be outdated and a victim of power creep but she was very popular and used to great effect.Weaver also was a surprise.A team even picked Pudge a hero deemed nonviable and got to the Grand finals. Same with Ursa, a "trash pubstomper" who ended up having a great win rate. Only a few heroes weren't picked or banned at TI3 (around 10-15).One side being imba doesn't matter.If a team get Batrider it isnt GG (Bat is OP) because the better team will usually still win.Such as how certain teams won with heroes like Pudge and Ursa (Well only one team plays Pudge). [A]lliance could have drafted a 5 carry lineup and still would've won because they are miles ahead of any other team in skill and teamwork except maybe Na'Vi who are the only team who are able to pull off Pudge + Chen fountain hooks which take an extreme amount of coordination. ​

inactive_account likes this.
  15. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

16. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

So after a party 5 of us went back to our houses and played this silly game. My first two matches pretty much and I think it was alright. I can see this being fun if you're on chat with a bunch of people.

17. Monsteri

The fun level scales hand-in-hand with skill level in MOBA games generally, from my experience at least.

18. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Naw it's just starcraft with one guy though, it doesn't take skill

19. Monsteri

>implying CoD takes skill and MOBAs don't

20. AJ

Meepo is 5 guys. Chen can control 4 units all with different abilities. Lone Druid has the bear.Visage has 2 familiars. Invoker has forge spirits. Natures Prophet has treants. Brew master has primal spirits. Enchantress is like Chen. Enigma has eidolons. Brood has spiders. All heroes can buy helm of the dominator to control a unit. Manny heroes have illusions. All heroes can buy Manta to get illusions. Shadow demon makes illusions from others. Its not just one guy.

Mods: BlueLuigi