1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

awesomenauts

Discussion in 'Other games' started by stig700, Oct 6, 2012.

?

have you played this game

1. yes

50.0%
  2. no

28.3%
  3. no but il try it

21.7%
Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. DrZaloski

DrZaloski Shopkeep Stealer

Been playing more. As for Gnaw, I think he is actually kinda broken, because his weeds are so easily abused. Putting them behind a turret or the base can delay the game so fucking long, it can be very unreasonable. His poison is not as broken as I previously thought, but it's still kinda bad. It's not the damage, it's that it lets him get the last hit most of the time, feeding him a lot more then his teammates. He's actually a really bad teammate, he steals your creep health, he steals your kills, and he over-feeds himself at the expense of his teammates.

I've actually stopped maining him, I'm been playing Raelynn a lot. I've been told that she's OP as well, but, in all modesty, I've been called OP playing every hero. I see that Raelynn's DPS with the snipe is large, but it's really her only ability, and it's pretty easy to dodge. She plays on confusion and trapping enemies.

Derpl and Voltar have been driving me nuts though. Derpl's turret basically makes E a win button, unless he's double-teamed. It shouldn't be that you need two heroes to kill one. His camping behind towers also slows the game down WAY too much, and it sucks the fun out. Voltar is just all-around broken. A Voltar who understands how to push is usually an automatic win, because his heal is just so broken. He can heal other heroes and creeps so quickly, he can push way, way too strongly. Unless he or his teammates are idiots, his advantage is huge. I also hate Yuri with a passion, his +80 bombs are fucking ridiculous.

As a last complaint, yes, the match-making is probably one of the worst match-making systems I have ever experienced. I absolutely love Awesomenauts, but if I rage-quit a match, I have to rage-quit the entire game for a bit, because if I try to rejoin I'll just get the same match over and over. Also, whether I win or not is so luck-based it can make the game hard to enjoy sometimes. Also, considering how casual the game is, I would think you would be allowed to change your hero at any time, or at least see the enemy's team before you play. If the enemy team has a Yuri or Derpl, you need a Coco or at least a Raelynn on your team.

Edit: I've never really had a problem with Clunk. His chomp ability is a pain though, it heals way too much, but otherwise I usually just hit him and then run, considering how slow he is. That's more just my play-style though, Raelynn, Coco, and Gnaw are all actually pretty good against Clunk. He's a pain in the ass to heroes like Leon though.

Foxodi likes this.
  2. Foxodi

Foxodi KAG Guard Tester

You can actually disconnect from the game, when you reconnect you can change your hero and what upgrades you buy. You might need a friend in the game though - so you can just click 'join their game' on steam to reconnect. And yes, everyone who hugs their turret is super annoying, they still lose it just takes over twice as long as it should have and sucks all the fun out of it.

3. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

stab stab stab *jumps on worm button* stab stab stab runstabrunstabrunstab runrunrunrunrunrunrun tongue stab win. :3

4. Bene

Bene Free cookies for everyone! ☭ Donator Tester

I started playing this game this weekend. I played 3 hours and I think I just don't get it. Most of the time I die. There was one match I did quite good with the French stealth guy and one with the dog that grows things. But I haven't had much success yet. It's funny how it tells me after most matches how my leage was graded down. I didn't even know when I got up so high I could fall down from somewhere. :D
    Are ther any tactic guides for noobs like me?

Razi likes this.
  5. Wonkyth

Bene: It's mostly a matter of deciding what you're going to attempt to do, and following through on it.
    This guide seems to be half decent. Give it a read and try out some of it's suggestions against bots. Sure, they won't use any complicated tactics, or indeed tactics at all, but it'll at least get your eye in. ;)

6. Bene

Don't care about the song as a whole - it's "riders in the sky" that has really a lot of covers. But the first 18 seconds (and the ending) reminds me of awesomenauts. Somehow this doesn't let me go. You have heard it, too, right? I just can't get the chords out of my ear :D

7. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

I played it after a long while again. So many new characters. Skølldir's theme song is made of win.

8. DrZaloski

Back to rant again :P

Anyway, the most recent annoyances I've had are Clunk and Skolldir. Mostly Skolldir. That stun is fucking crazy. Even with Raelynn, the fastest character in the game, has 0 chance of running once he lands the last hit on his combo, when I could easily outrun Leon, who is the ACTUAL assassin character, BUILT to kill runners. It's so goddamn broken. He is also way too good of a counter against Froggy G, since he can stun him so easily, and end his spin, then just kill him. I've basically rage quitted every match with a decent Skolldir against me, I've only been able to stand him when I'm playing against someone who isn't that great against him. I've seen him carry many a team now, it can be ridiculous.

The other is Clunk. I have less of a problem with Clunk, because he has a harder time getting kills and is slower and easier to run from, so he gets much less fed. The problem is that you can't kill him. His chomp is really, really good, with such a fast cool-down and can heal so much. I've been playing Froggy G a lot recently, and even with such high damage output as Froggy G, I die easily to a Clunk with 1/4 health, when I'm at full.

As a side note, Gnaw's weedlings was buffed through the roof. They are so fucking powerful. Especially on the first map. I constantly get kills without lifting a finger, just by massing a bunch of weeds in one key spot with a 2 bullet upgrade. I used to think his poison was OP, which now I don't care about anymore, but his goddamn weeds are just insane.

One more note: I hate the second map. With a passion. One lane is so, so very broken. The map is so easily abused by Gnaw, Yuri, Derpl and Lonestar. Pushers are just so much more valuable, and defense characters like Derpl and Gnaw even more so. Not to mention the buffed creeps. It's such an annoying map, it's usually just a grind and overly team-setup based.

Also Coco's ball lightning has been pissing me off a lot lately, she can push really well with it, and make it really hard for anyone to approach her. I don't mind her trail at all, but her ball just has too small of a cool down and too much power. Not to mention it being the only long range move that goes through walls and turrets.

I'm still sinking way too many hours into that game. Recently been playing a lot of Froggy G and Voltar. Hopefully the next butterfly character is another support character, I love Voltar, but I want a new support (besides Yuri, he's just a boring character who is really easy to abuse).

Okay, rant done! :D

9. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

I hate Leon (the french stealth gecko) the most. That's why I usually play him myself, he's way too OP in late game once he gets some health and damage upgrades.

Stealth, be patient and wait until an enemy character is down to 1/2 or even 3/4 of his health, then single him out, tongue-lash him towards you, slash away 3-4 more times and it's a goner for sure if it's not a Coco player.

Some of the characters also have ludicrous synergies together. But sometimes I could really rage away - if I pick Voltar first then I expect at least one other player to see that choice and make a good character choice for pushing turrets but then they sometimes pick shit that just doesn't flow well with Voltar (of course everything profits from Voltar but Skolldir and Clunk tanking a tower with Voltar backup is nearly unstoppable).

Voltar is a support character, so you need damage output to balance his lack of it, not another 2 squishy support characters like leon and vinnie. :>:(:

10. Wonkyth

Don't you dis Leon. <3

11. DrZaloski

Hey guys, I'm back to essay-bitch again! After a nice, long time with the last update, I have some new opinions. Frankly, I think the game is a bit more unbalanced now, but that might just be because I now the ins-and-outs of characters even more, so I can see the bullshit clear as day. I'll just go by 'naut.

Froggy G: I actually didn't think Froggy was OP pre-patch, despite most people thought that he was the worst. Although, now I'm starting to have a problem with him. He hasn't actually been changed much, besides a minor nerf, but I've been very annoyed on how easily he can get away, mostly because I've been playing a lot of Leon and Vinnie recently, so maybe it's just because he's a counter. It his damage is simply too high; late game he's basically a 2-button win, as long as he lands a dash hit, for anyone with medium and below health. He's not that bad, but he's goddamn annoying.

Lonestar: Oh Lonestar. Fuck Lonestar. I've been so annoyed by him recently. He's considerable faster, along with cheaper boots, allowing him to be an insane pusher even just early-mid game. His heal dynamite is also extremely frustrating, even though it was nerfed, and his missiles, oh his goddamn missiles. They're cheaper, so he can get a lot of damage early game, and the increase speed really hurts. It's that he's a aiming character anyway, so a decent Lonestar can take full advantage. It's just way too much burst damage. Even as Vinnie, I've had a difficult time with him, because if he can land just one dynamite throw I either have to back off or die, and his blaster is insane. Mid-game, 15 damage a pop. He's also an insane pusher, basically an automatic GG on the single-lane map without a good counters. Basically the only counters for him are probably Raelynn and maybe Coco.

Leon: Nerfed a bit, I think pretty much perfectly. Made a little squishier, which is basically just what he needed, he had too good DPS for that much health before. I don't find him that annoying, and I can still play him effectively. I don't see that many Leons around anymore though, mostly because he's harder to play now. Clone army is still annoying as shit though, I personally think he shouldn't damage turrets or the core, maybe not even creeps.

Clunk: Less frustrating. I don't really care much more him, at least he can't heal as much with his chomp now.

Voltar: Nerfed a bit, but I feel like the 3 bots at the beginning is a tad unfair. No more collision is nice, but the heal over time feels a tad OP. Weird that they overall buffed him, considering he was already systematically OP. At least he can't get fed as easily without the healbot solar.

Gnaw: That extra base damage goddamn hurts. His DPS is lower, not that that matters, he's all about attacking briefly then bailing. His weedlings got REALLY nerfed, lost the two bullets completely, which is great, considering how OP they were before. His base damage is just too much for a defense though, if you ask me. He's much more balanced though.

Coco: Meh.

Skolldir: YES. FINALLY. A DECENT NERF. I have had much, much less trouble with this naut, that 0.2sec nerf on his stun helps more then it may seem. Also, his hitbox for his throw isn't insane anymore, and is much less frustrating. I don't run into him every goddamn match anymore, very happy with his nerd.

Yuri: I still hate him. His bomb is less OP, which is much better, but his new halfed laser charge time and stronger slow field AND larger base bomb damage makes him a menace early game and much more annoying though-out the match. It's mostly his laser, charge time, and the slow field. I run into way too many camping Yuri's, especially on the first stage, where his bombs are extremely OP. You should be immune to them when you use the bouncers.

Realynn: Oh jeebus that extra 10 base damage and range. She hits like a goddamn truck, and that loss of 5 damage for max damage really does not help make up for the base damage and range. Her DPS with that is so silly, it's very hard to get close to her unless you're Froggy or Leon. She's not horrible, but she was fine before the patch, I don't know why Romino buffed her so much. Tad OP now.

Derpl: Not as OP as people say (I think), but he's still pretty frustrating, especially on the first map. I think his ability to drop through platforms is utter bullshit, he can just cycle through the middle of the first map if he wants to escape, which seems silly considering his playstyle, and a player that can abuse him can just make him broken that way.

Vinnie: I really like Vinnie. He's one of my favorite nauts. Now, he can be a tad OP, mostly because his max spike DPS can be insane. It's hard to use, but double-spike, max damage, and max cooldown increase can be insane. Raelynn is a little too hard a counter to him, though. He's also a tad useless on the first stage, because his flying advantage is near destroyed there.

Genji: I really, really like Genji, another one of my favorite nauts now. I do feel as though he's a tad OP though, he has really good DPS early game with just a few damage upgrades (storm+poison+damage), and his cocoon feels really cheap at times, ESPECIALLY with Yuri, who can just insta-kill you with bombs. It basically stops you from getting away from the other nauts, unless you're Froggy G. Genji is fairly weak on his own (he is a support), but with other decent characters, it can be too devastating. Late game, Genji can get really fed, and can dish out insane burst damage. Much like Voltar, he doesn't get that many kills, but he can be very hard to kill, and late game it's near impossible.

Also, as a side note, I hate the second, one-lane map immensely. I hate it so goddamn much, it's just a grind until a turret goes down, and it's way too naut bias. Pushers and defensive become automatically unfair, where nauts like Leon, Skolldir, and Froggy G lose a lot of value. It relies way too much on team comp.

DONE. That took too long to write, and probably takes too long to read. And I don't give a shit! :D

Edit: Oh JEEBUS, I didn't realize it was THAT long. Aw well. NO REGRETS!

Wonkyth likes this.
  12. Chaos-Knight

Chaos-Knight Bison Rider

...how can four out of five Awesomenauts be OP, if overpowered is a relative term.

I can relate though, I play 2nd league (or whatever this ranking shit is called) and every time I get me my ass handed by a "better" player I feel like the character he uses is just OP.

Thing I hate most is getting killed by Coco's energy ball on that jungle map when I'm way behind my tower. That's cause Coco's ball can clip through the environment from below (where it shouldn't be able to) and kill you in a sec.

13. DrZaloski

It's completely relative, this is my relative opinion. There are 13 'nauts; I said 4 are fairly broken, and two others are more annoying than they have to be. I'm simply pointing out all the aspects of all the characters, especially certain aspects of certain characters that makes them more powerful then they ought to be.

Yeah, I'm in rank 2 as well, and I've been noticing the imbalanced problems a LOT. I've mostly been annoyed with just how important team composition is, depending on the map. For a casual drop-out-drop-in game, that's really bad. Playing against a Yuri-Genji-Lonestar with a Derpl-Gnaw-Skolldir (both teams are at the same skill level) is near impossible.

As for Coco, I don't really have a problem with her ball. It's slow enough for me to avoid, except Yuri or Derpl. I'm actually more annoyed with the lightning ball up close; she can drop the ball and take away half your full health in a second, unstunable, unstoppable, when she's right next to you. Leon is suppose to be her counter, but she can waste Leon with just a lightning ball and some trail.

14. Wonkyth

Yeah, Coco was a biatch to deal with, even as someone who singled as Leon, like me. :(

Chaos-Knight likes this.
  15. Bene

They have a new character

I have an earworm from the song :) He is also quite a killer. If his health and hookswing are maxed up he deals more damage than Leon. The only thing is he's not as sneaky as him but you can fix that if you play on Aiguillon.

And they have kickstarter funding for an extension: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ronimo/awesomenauts-starstorm
    ( But I won't back it ... I don't need skins and I already own the game - bought it even twice by accident :D - I only care about the core of the DLC, new characters and functions, and 15 Dollars for only that seem a little bit too much for a game that cost less then 10)
    Did anyone here buy those skins? I mean they are between 2,50 and 5 Euros each and you get nothing but a look. If yes, why did you do it?

16. DrZaloski

Oh, it's been a while since I've been here.

I've recently gotten back into Awesomenauts to try out Swiggens, but I kinda think he's shit. Everything he can do other nauts can do better, and he relies too much on other nauts and team comp to be effective. He's basically the new Voltar. I absolutely love his design though, it makes me want to play him more, but he's a frustrating naut to play.

I'll probably drop out of Awesomenauts until Starstorm comes around though, just because I think Awesomenauts' leaguing system is simply awful, and fundamentally flawed. I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea to have casual drop-in-drop-out, no lobby, solo mixed with pre made matches, but with win percentage being the main factor for leader boards and matchmaking. It's just bad logic, you play and win 2 matches over an 40min to an hour, then lose that progress within half an hour by just joining losing matches. Not to mention if you're just one guy up against a pre-made, it's gg. I just can't play the game competitively solo, I NEED to play in pre mades. The worst part is that it fucks up the leaguing match making horribly, I beat League 1 players all the time, but sometimes come across League 3 players that wipe the floor with me. The worst parts are those fleeting moments I manage to stay in League 1 early on after league resets, and every goddamn match is against a pre made.

I've recently been playing the game again, trying to be as uncompetitive as possible, but that's hard to do in an inherently competitive type of game. I really hope Romino considers reconstructing the leagues and match making with Starstorm. They either have to cut out the winning factor in leaguing, and make it based on kills, assists, heals, and tower/creep damage, or make a lobby system, where you don't get free loses every other match while soloing.

Oh, and I have already backed the Kickstarter, with the second costume party option. I haven't boughten any of the costume parties, but I have gotten the Gnaw bee skin and Voltar disco skin, since they're my mains, and I thought both were fairly hilarious. I guess I also have the Clunk Chicken and Creeper skin. I'm an avid love-hate fan of Awesomenauts, so I'll more or less eat up whatever expansion they through at me that's not shit. I'll be pretty happy if the kickstarter can get at least replays, and like I said, I hope this gives them the opportunity to make it less infuriating to solo competitively.

17. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Unlocked the new character; Admiral Swiggins but had to go, gonna play right now ;)

18. Bene

If you are maxing out health and anchor swing damage/speed and leave the drop anchor until you don't know what else to spend money for, Swiggins is quite powerfull. Just be carefull in confrontation with Ayla and Vinnie & Spike. But he can be good on 1 on 1 versus all other characters if you chase them after hooking them and he also deals a lot of damage to turrets. I had to get used to it a little bit and was confused first, because I used the drop anchor as the main weapon. But that one was shit. Now I don't even activate it until the very end and only use it to get away from somebody.
    I don't really care for that stupid ranking. I just want to have balanced and fun matches.

Digger101 likes this.
  19. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Just got this game recently, id say its a pretty fun game but hard to take seriously because character match ups are everything and you cant tell who you are playing.

Ayla is op
    Derpl is op
    Yuri is just fucking annoying

stig700 and 101i like this.
  20. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I sure do love getting matched with bots because there are no players, and then have my stats penalized for leaving the match.
    This game literally punishes me just for trying to play. I'll bet after all the times I launched the game, joined a match with all bots, and left, I have enough stat dampers and negative levels that my attacks will heal enemies until I hit level 0.

Mods: BlueLuigi