1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Grappling Things

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by AcidSeth, Sep 3, 2013.

?

Should this be implemented?

1. Yes!

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. Not.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. AcidSeth

AcidSeth Arsonist

I think it would make sense, being able to grapple things.
    And by that I mean, having certain objects to be sort-of collidable for the Archer's grapple hook.

Just imagine, being able to attach things to yourself, and viceversa.

I understand the grappling hook is for movement, but then it could become something more than that without unbalancing anything.
    The concept is not hard but here are some examples.

-If a crate is over the edge of a tower and you try to climb it, you should fall lacking of a solid if you misclick and get the crate instead.

-The foolish builder unpacks a ballista on a skybridge without placing wooden platforms to stop it? You drag it off and everyone has fun, right?

-You want to recover something from the battlefield without getting too close?

-A bomber hovers over your head, you can grapple to it!

-You want to recover something from the ground without getting to it? GRAP!

-Gregs!
    -AH THE POSSIBILITIES​

...Heh, you've got my point.

What objects should you be able TO grapple?

Crates, crate supplies, some droppable items (maybe excluding trampolines), let's say anything with a mass lighter than X.

What objects should you be able to grapple TO?

Bombers, *cough* Gregs and Wraiths, any animal or , so let's say anything with a mass heavier than X.

Wheter you get attached to the item or the item attaches to you, it should depend on the item's mass, or weight. (To see/test later)

It is not a priority at all, but I think it could work even for the realization.
    What do you guys think?

NOTES:

-With 'items attaching to you' I only mean them being attracted/dragged to you, nothing really.
    -Out of topic, I think the hook needs to be thinner and more "hook" and piercing rather than a sticky crazy arm. I know it is just being tested, but.
    -Out of topic, just ropes (like this one) or actually dynamic bridges would be fun, don't you think?

Starsly and Invaders like this.
  2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

fwiw, you were able to grapple lots of objects in the testing builds. It proved to be very glitchy, which is why it was removed, and it probably won't make a comeback.

AcidSeth likes this.
  3. AcidSeth

AcidSeth Arsonist

Awh, thanks for the info.
    I imagined that only partially.

4. amgtree

amgtree Haxor

I thought lots of things were glitchy in test builds. With tweaks, fixes and some magic this would work out.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  5. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

Please devs, do this! Fix and tweak as amgtree said! PLEASE.

6. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

As said above, grappling blobs wasn't working very well because of lag issues, if I remember correctly. Devs can't fix peoples internet so this is kinda pointless, tbh.

7. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

It's not possible to fix without making all physics serverside or having a much longer and bouncier grapple - with ping greater than 100 and the current rope like physics it was possible to helicopter around wildly off simple things like a fish because they're controlled by the server, not the player.

We're not about to invert the networking model just to make one facet of the game possible.

AcidSeth likes this.
  8. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

amgtree and AcidSeth like this.
  9. Ne3zy

Ne3zy Haxor

t-up for lostpix idea

Mods: Rainbows