1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

CTF Days 5 and 6 - Shops!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Sep 10, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

Hey guys, while progress on CTF was stalled by other commitments, it’s back on track and cruising along nicely!

[​IMG]

All of the CTF shops are drafted in-game and fully constructable. Everything in that screenshot was built by that builder, no !commands.

…Apologies for the awful example base layout, needed to cram all of them into the screenshot and it’s getting late ;^)

The shops function more or less as in classic, taking coins gained from combat to produce ammo.

At the moment, MM and I want to trial a flat upgrade structure - instead of getting scrolls etc, in CTF you will just need gold to build the more fancy shops, and special ammos will cost many more coins.

This is intended to keep CTF as simple to learn and as focussed on enjoyable competition as possible. If it proves to be too spammy or not provide enough strategic depth, we’ll probably resort to per-shop upgrades for special ammo.

I also want to talk quickly about CTF Maps.

While designing the mode I’ve had two experiences in mind - the fast and furious CTF of soldat, quake, tribes etc, as well as the more long term, epic, team dependent type like the Action! Unlimited server in classic.

The good news is, both of these experiences should be possible in the one new CTF mode with some clever map design.

The current map I’m using to test CTF can be found here - this is quite a bit smaller than your average CTF map in classic. However, it should be suitable for around 4v4 to 8v8 CTF.

Astute members will note that there are 3 flags per side on this map.

Larger maps with more flags give a natural way for server owners to scale their experience up or down. We’ll likely be taking submissions for well designed CTF maps once the mode is public.

That’s all for now, know that things with CTF are ticking along and should tentatively be ready for play in a week or two.

Max/Geti

Original DevBlog post.

2. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

Beautiful. I'm hoping for more 1 flag per team maps as those are the most intense.

amgtree, AcidSeth and Mazey like this.
  3. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

Will the beta include a map editor at some point? I use a paint program to create maps, but the editor is nice for testing them.

4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

So looking forward to being rewarded for killing things instead of waiting for teammates to stop hogging all the ammo.

Guitarman likes this.
  5. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

I assume with more flags you will need to have more than 1 cap to win? WHen a team caps 1 flag it comes up on bottom/top "Red Team 2 | 1 Blue team"

6. kaizokuroof

kaizokuroof Agkubuk|'Kaizokuroof' Cilobakil, Roofpointy Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

AMG, so excited - I can't wait for the release of this! Great work as always :B):

Digger101 likes this.
  7. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Will the Battering Ram & the Arrow blocker be added? It was on the classic premium poster and really got me excited. Would be great fun to work with :)))

Also, great work as always! thanks!

8. Boea

Boea Such Beta

By the sounds of it, and my hopes, it sounds like there will be multiple flags for teams, in the sense that they'll be planted in the ground somewhere on the respective side of the team.

So, there can be 2 flags in the far edge of the map, and one flag closer to the middle, and of course, the one towards the middle would probably deplete when it is captured.

9. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Battering ram was actually really unfun to play with when tested. Which is why we now have drill instead! 25252525

The arrow canopy should be making it into the game (in an adulterated format), but don't take that as gospel truth. The situation, as always, remains... fluid.

Gurin likes this.
  10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

New post incoming to forums (whenever the bot gets around to it)

However:
    Yup. The fun thing about this is that if you have a bunch of flags in one location, a group of people can cap them all in one run, but it's hard.

Yup I'll make sure there's a few 1 flag maps and people can balance their cycles how they like - Remember the the flags are somewhat harder to defend due to them not being directly over your spawn though :^)

See the incoming devlog post about the GUI

Hey man I'm not going to release a buggy CTF just so you get to play it tomorrow. Sit tight, 2 weeks at most isn't so bad.

Someone start whipping the gather crowd :V

Yes, but it's not priority at the moment. I've got some old code from Verra that I'm considering retrofitting to the current beta but I've got plenty of other things higher on the TODO list unfortunately. If anyone mods together something clean enough for vanilla I'm happy to include it though, fwiw. The tools are already there.

See what FBB said, the arrow canopy is being considered and the ram was replaced with drill - running back and forward with the ram proved less reliable than just hitting the wall, and pits made it useless - and if we made it just plough through walls, then walls were useless! So we have the drill instead.

Thanks for the support!

11. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Well, considering rayne's zombies have been broken for how many times again.. I'll feel really bad for the guy that actually starts working on something like that :V

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Dude if the mod was developed at a rate greater than ten lines of code per week it would have been merged into vanilla before any mod API change was made. MM's at the point where he's started asking where the zombie sprites are so at least all the zombies are done before steam release. :V yourself.

Note this is not intended as a fuck you to Rayne or Arcrave or Master or anyone else working on the mod, just an objective observation that progress has been on average 10000% slower on a SLOC per unit time basis than vanilla, and I've got the source control graph to prove it.

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'm still waiting on anything that involves the Recruitment for Dev Test Servers.

Anyways, there are two groups developing for Zombie Modes, The Tower Defense, and the Dungeon Crawl.
    The issue with the zombie mods is that they are limited by the small amount of art assets in the game [so there is server-client compatibility], so it's an awkward backlog/lock situation.