1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

B878 - New Cooperative Challenges!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Sep 13, 2013.

1. DevBlogger

DevBlogger KAG DevBlog Feed Bot

This build introduces the new singelplayer/cooperative gamemode called Challenges.

You will play with a team of friends (or single) on very small maps with a particular objective like:

• Kill all the red
    • Get to the other side of the map (KAG parkour)
    • Escape the flood!

I made other modes but they weren’t as fun as those so - not included. We have more ideas and will introduce new challenges as time comes. We just want this first batch to come out quick so you can play it.

All of these challenges have a max. 1 minute time limit. This means fast gameplay, even if you lose or die, in a couple seconds the next challenge is loaded.

Some maps have randomized classes to keep things interesting and coop. If you spawn as builder be sure to help out your team!

High scores are stored and shown at the end of each round:

• Most individual/team kills
    • Fastest times

We want more Challenges!

This gamemode needs like 50 maps to be awesome. But we don’t have that much time to do it ourselves. This is where you can help. Making maps for this mode is quite easy. Just check Base/Maps/Challenge/Missions to see how the map + config looks like. Make your map, put it there and then add it to the mapcycle to play: Base/Rules/Challenge/mapcycle.cfg

Post on forums and we’ll pick the best ones and include them in the game with proper credits for the author!

How to run a Challenge server

In your autoconfig.cfg file set the following things:

sv_gamemode = Challenge
    sv_mapcycle = (leave blank)
    sv_mapcycle_shuffle = 1
    sv_maxplayers = 4

Archer changes

We’ve thought a lot about the archer and we want him to be more fun and more distinct from the knight class. I felt like removing 1 heart from health was a step in the right direction but it needed more. Here’s what changed for archer:

1. The arrow gravity arc is practically removed until about half screen distance when it starts to drop
    2. Firing a max charge arrow is 2x faster
    3. The Legolas triple shot takes much longer to charge
    4. Charged (and Legolas) shots break knight shields within slash distance

We’re kind of biased about the triple shot and it might change in future versions. The other changes should be real good.

Stay tuned for news from Geti, CTF should be released next week.

MM

Changelog B872-B878:

[modified] set default map cycle to mini challenges for Challenge

[modified] out of box config settings are that of Challenges

[fixed] unable to cap hall in Challenges

[fixed] server browser to use Challenges as coop

[removed] archer cam and slightly faster arrow

[fixed] arrows sticking to ceiling on Amarok

[dev] fixed various issues with loading non-default maps on network

[fixed] out of date menuhelp.png

[modified] grapple appearance

[fixed] builder building on self and teleporting

[added] grappling hook help

[added] button for Challenges in Solo menu

[modified] tweaks to princess mode meta

[modified] adjusted arrow speeds (slightly faster mid-pull; even faster load)

[added] default suicide icon for kill feed

[added] killing bots adds to scores

[added] /BaseJeep - an example of a full KAG modification

Original DevBlog post.

Stevedog, Drusse, Atheon and 6 others like this.
  2. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Oh yes, a new gamemode to make maps for? Count me in! I'll play around with it a bit today, might try and make some maps this week! Gotta love me some mapmaking!

NinjaCell and Guitarman like this.
  3. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Looking forward to seeing what the community thinks of the challenges!

4. actually disregard what i had said, i think they are ok, most too easy in multi though

get ready for some bitching hard grapple hook maps

5. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

1. The arrow gravity arc is practically removed until about half screen distance when it starts to drop
    aw yes.

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Thank you so so much for making changes to the Archer. I'm absolutely okay with the two hearts of health so long as their ranged capabilities are increased, and it seems like that's what you're trying to do.

NinjaCell likes this.
  7. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

The new co-op challenges well I played it singleplayer, great maps I must say can't wait for the communities input of maps..
    This isn't all that hard but then again its not super easy

8. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Love the new archer, it's like the alpha and beta archers had a baby and this little bundle of joy was the result. Best of both worlds! :spam::migrant:

Stevedog, NinjaCell, Monsteri and 5 others like this.
  9. thebonesauce

thebonesauce All life begins and ends with Nu Staff Alumni
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. The Ivory Tower of Grammar-Nazis

I think the longboat challenge might be impossible... ;-; Or I just suck real bad.

10. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

I got it, the aim is; to not killing the people at the bottom and just go ontop, then bomb jump over the water and as you hit the door slighty(this happened to me) the building collapses but the keg is fine then grab the keg and keg jump or just go under the boat and you're a winner

11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Not feeling it though.

12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Arvher seems to be moving in a good direction. I switched to the class for a bit today and I am really starting to see the potential for an archer to have some affect on the course of a game (aside from letting all the enemies in through the front door). I'm sad to see tree climbing still on it though. I mean really you have arrow climbing and grappling hook, do you really need to be a monkey too?

Scoreboard is broken though, is that because killing migrants adds to scores or something? Kind of a good idea since scrubs might feel a bit better about themselves but also kind of bad as it means even less now.

Sarathos and Guitarman like this.
  13. xnx17ts

xnx17ts Builder Stabber

Does anyone get what the basejeep mod does?
    Or how to use it?

14. Digger101

Digger101 Shark Slayer

Just did the parkour challenge and try and beat my time :P

kingofthebrithins likes this.
  15. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

wooot i love your maps

16. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

So I've been doing quite poorly this last update, something I've chalked up to lag and not playing for a week but I've heard several top players independently remark that they've felt something has broken in knight combat. Now don't y'all jump on the "I didn't kill everyone therefore something broke" bandwagon just yet (though get ready for it) but has anything at all changes that might affect knight combat? Any collision or networking changes or do we just have a few coincidences?

Guitarman and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  17. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I've done it in 32 secs. You can pass most of that jumping just by grappling onto ceilings, and speed up your movement generally with the grapple.

GloriousToast and Digger101 like this.
  18. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

I for one have noticed what cont is saying. things seem off and very wierd. longerer swords thatn usuall :/ slashes hitting clearly but doing not a dam thing. cont was saying this happened in classic as well when more updates came combat ended up getting more and more broken each time. its just something im noticing as a change to the combat. i would love it if the devs had the power to fix such a thing because i cant bear to see beta combat go down the drain the way classics did :QQ:

19. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Well, Monsteri & I noticed combat was odd in the last test build while we were testing co-op mode, but we put it down to lag at the time. But yeah, double slashes not connecting or colliding with a shield twice; not trying a slash-jab combo & getting stunned because the shield didn't break. Things like that. :huh?:

20. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I've noticed the stun from charged slash lasts half a second? Which seems to be veeeery short to the point that attempting to perform a charged slash and jab is almost impossible and I think it might be also why double slashes don't connect and you end up shielding both.