1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

B878 - New Cooperative Challenges!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Sep 13, 2013.

1. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

@Monsteri D: i can only manage 34 seconds (which is the fastest on the server) on the challenge server that is circulating about.
    on parkour07 i can manage 6 seconds on archer as personal best
    also I have noticed is that you can fall an incredible distance (for example in one of the maps on that one server where you must scale down a mountain to reach a cave) and survive. all you need to do is slide off a corner and you will live.

2. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

@Geti

I appreciate your contributing your thoughts on game balance in response to my recommendation for Archers, and now that I see what you're trying to accomplish, I understand why the Archer is how he is right now.

This doesn't mean I think that Archers are where they need to be yet, but then again, is any class perfected?

In realizing that you're aiming to make the game more fun as a whole, I'd like to apologize for all the complaints I've been posting about how much the new Archers sucks, and make an attempt to deal with it and adjust in an attempt to get used to the new Archer.

Hoping that changes will continue to be made, however, because the scales are still tipped in favor of the Knights; when it comes to flat-out damage-dealing, Archers can hardly compete as of yet.

3. Boea

Boea Such Beta

This is more or less why I liked the old guy, from the archer's perspective, they still weren't even with the knights, but they weren't unreasonable to fight against. [and I hope it's just a Landoo thing]

4. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

>Cooperative challenges

...what cooperation? The entire system is build around competing between the participants rather than getting over something together.

5. Lieber

Lieber Is Probing Uranus Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Not exactly true. In most cooperative games you're still going to be competing to some extent, whether it's who got the most experience points, loot or kills or whatnot. It's the same here.

6. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

Define "most cooperative games".

7. Lieber

Pumping out a list would be a waste of time. Let's go for cooperative modes in shooters, players will probably be competing for who got the most points, even if they're working together. Games like Diablo or RPGs with co-op modes will have players achieving a common goal, sure, but will probably be aiming to get the most/best loot.

In any case, the reason why this mode is called "Cooperative" is because players are in the same team rather than fighting each other. End of story.

8. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

>Using greentext

9. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Well, I guess we can wait for Mongolian Horde [It was part of adverts], and Zombie Mode [relegated to 3rd Party, with a Dungeon Crawler, and Tower Defense in the Works... by 3rd Parties].

Or more group-dependant challenge mini maps.

10. Lieber

I don't remember there being a Mongolian Horde "advertised" (and you should know that everything on those posters are things the devs hope/hoped to add but might not make it).
    Also, "relegated to 3rd party" makes it sound waaay too professional. The community members involved in those projects are not forced to do anything as they are just mods.

11. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Mongolian Horde was advertised, same as Overworld lol. Also yeah teammates hinder you more than in anything in these coop challenges. When I first heard of the idea I was expecting like a Lost Vikings puzzle kind of thing where you are like a knight and an archer and sometimes the knight has to bomb stuff and sometimes the archer has to climb up to high places or whatever.

12. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

But thats exactly what is happening in this so called "coop" mode. People are actually fighting over one another to achieve their personal goal of coming out on top. This is pure competition.

Seriously man, the modes the devs call competitive are more cooperative than the modes they actually call "cooperative". I can't believe how dense one can be to realize this for yourself. Its like you define the word cooperative as a synonym for competitive when the two are complete opposites in their meaning.

GloriousToast likes this.
  13. Lieber

The hell are you talking about? I meant "fighting each other" by "literally fighting each other because they're in different teams". In this coop mode you're in one team, there's one objective. I don't want to continue this debate because I know your stance on competition, so this won't have an end.

14. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

How convinient for you, say that I'm wrong and then end the discussion at will. :huh?:

I know very well what you meant about "literally killing each other", but you're missing the point that in both cases, both in a deathmatch and in these "cooperative challenge", the goal of the player is to beat the other players by completing a task or doing something faster or better than the others.

The success is measured by comparison to other players, and if you didn't complete an objective before another player did, your game experience was unsatisfactory and you would consider it a loss than a victory. Whether the goal is to race to a destination or literally kill the other player, the meta logic of the game remains the same.

In the very essence, there is absolutely nothing cooperative in "coop challenges" the devs added. Just pointing that out.

GloriousToast likes this.
  15. Inferdy

Inferdy Arsonist

Maybe devs will play 1, atjust 1 time, normally? If them will, them will know, what aim is compeletely WRONG.

16. GloriousToast

GloriousToast Haxor Donator

@Reactorcore I totally agree, nothing beats the satisfaction of being first, especially when you can rub it in people faces, especially when you can rub in established good players.

is it possible to add the red barrier to prevent people from rushing off unfairly when they spawn first?

17. Lieber

I believe someone had mentioned it during testing. It's possible but I don't know the devs' stance on it.

I never said you were wrong, I'm perfectly aware that these challenges aren't necessarily cooperative, what I'm saying is that even if they were, players would still compare scores or kills or whatnot. You say that if you didn't complete an objective before an other player your experience was unsatisfactory, which is not a fact, it depends on the player. I arrived second during the "Escape the flood" challenge and it wasn't unsatisfactory, I had fun.

Digger101 likes this.
  18. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Shark Slayer

It doesn't actually depend on the player. The reason why people compare score is because the game mode encourages them to do so. The most prominent thing you see at the end of each match is a leaderboard which tells who came on top and who's been the best in the recent matches. On top of that, the actual challenge does not come from the map and the goals it puts forth, but the players around who are doing the same goals on a time limit.

Essentially, you are encouraged to both notice the players around you and compare yourself against them to see if you won or lost.

For the first few times, yes you may get this feeling, because the challenge itself was actually hard and presented a more immediate danger, since if you stopped to think about other players while the flood comes, you'd end up loosing focus and most likely drown, because you were unfocused on the danger itself.

The satisfaction you got from that time came from simply being happy you made it alive and you beat the challenge the game set forth.

However, once you master it and running from the flood becomes easy due to your experience, your focus will shift back on to the other players the same way as with any other challenges, you'll be once again encouraged to compare yourself to others.

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

ok so reactorcore please mod together a co-op challenge mode fit for vanilla and we'll include it (provided permission, legal whatevers). Until then, the current one is what MM came up with for co-op and challenge.

addendum: my focus is on CTF and releasing at the moment, Challenge is MM's domain and not my area of interest anyway.

20. How can you even call it CTF, there are 3 flags, not 1. Calling it CTF is just plain wrong and I demand you change it.
    I think my suggestion in CTFs would be peefect. Think about if you really want the gamemode to be good.

Digger101 and Guitarman like this.