1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

General Knight Changes

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Auburn, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

You are missing one very vital variable, and that is distance. You've maid yourself quite clear that you will stick by your opinion, and I will as well, but please take into account that slashes have more range than a stab. Plus, a stab can't stop a knight mid-swing, while shielding can at least save you from that one slash.

But since I know I can't sway your opinion, typing that was almost without purpose. The only way for this argument to play out is for the devs to decide what to do and test the options.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2013
  2. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

If we truly considered this pointless we wouldn't have bothered trying to persuade the other to begin with, deny that if you wish but I stand by what I said for the simple fact that I have not speculated but used logic and facts to reach my point.

Also, what's to implement? The only thing that there is to implement is the stab stun and that's it. If you wish to know if that will be effective you can do it right now, go and try to stab a knight that is trying to slash you by carefully timing your blow.

If you manage to hit him with a stab before he slashes you then that would be a stun. If you can manage to repeat that every time with a stab then my theory would be correct and Slash would become easily countered with Stab, thus making Shielding against Slashes, useless. I've already managed this on a wounded knight, as I said before, but if you wish to actually see results and reason, be my guest. Test it for yourself.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 17, 2013 ---
    Valid point but that brings us back at timing and measuring the distance carefully before jumping in at which point the knight would start to hop back and fourth until one of them sees an opening. Thing is, that small acceleration from the slash only occurs when the knight slashes near the end of the charge, as such it can be offset by the fact that it takes a bit of time to charge the slash( 1.0 second I believe?), which would allow for an opening for the stabbing knight that he could exploit.

Again, you can try and test it. Grab a friend and go to an empty server, stab him until he has one heart left and then get some distance and try to stab him before he can slash you. If you can kill him with that one stab before his slash hits you then it would be a stun.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Stun from jabs will never, ever be re-introduced back into vanilla KAG. I've seen the same arguments made in this thread at least 10 times separately over the course of KAG's history, whenever we add it again everyone suddenly realises that it's not lag friendly and it completely breaks the flow of combat.
    Good day.

Addendum: Changes planned include making the current shieldbash more prevailent and adding an effect on slash hitting to prevent all of the "OMG SPRITE DIDN"T TOUCH" stuff. The diagonal range of the slash in beta is smaller than the one in classic, because the one in classic is a box. Interesting that the complaints about range being higher and sprite not lining up are a modern thing, I guess people are holding the beta to higher polish requirements than classic - that's fine, but please take your rose tinted glasses off before extolling the magnificent virtues of the sluggish, ping dependent, jabspam-major flowless mess that is classic knight combat.

4. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

#basedgeti telling it how it is

Apronymous and Sirpixelot like this.
  5. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Get the fuck out

Also, I think jab stopping slashes is a fucking horrid idea! Why? Because it makes slashes almost useless. The main strategy would be to turtle and jab anyone that even thinks about slashing. We don't want this to happen(I don't want this to happen) because it is a step towards the old combat in classic, and I would hate HATE to see that happen. Slashes are powerful, slashes are supposed to be powerful. jabs are meant to be a JAB not a counter. they are to get rid of archers and builders, and poke at knights when it is not the right time to slash. Jab does not beat slash, Jab should never ever beat slash.

6. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Best to leave these things alone and agree to disagree.

Now, about you people above me... excluding Nighthawk. Knight Combat is not rocket science what so ever, it is also not a math problem. Keep that stuff in your schools. You are all just... trying to compete on whos right and whos wrong, realize that all of ya have an opinion and just.. calm yo tits. Get a nice cold icepack and place them over those crazy things and let them simmer off. So yea.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2013, Original Post Date: Sep 17, 2013 ---
    Haha... you were slightly late to the reply party. Geti above has now said that they're removing the jab stun mechanic. So you no longer have to kick and scream.

7. allknowingfrog

allknowingfrog Bison Rider

For the record, I don't want jab spam back, but slash chicken isn't much better. A small shieldbash buff would be awesome.

8. Yagger

Yfw pixelot was one of the most fired up people in this thread and he's telling people to stop crying

Apronymous likes this.
  9. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

What would be awesome with shield bash is bouncing off the wall then bashing someone that would add some additional strength to the bash itself, but I really want some solution on how to deal with situations when you become cornered by someone slash spamming at you, often there is simply not enough space around to get some distance and fights become really tight so this is where I think we should be looking at is the way to deal with very intense close quarter situations. Knights are good in open spaces with a lot of space to maneuver around to dodge attacks but once it gets close it ends up as jab spam or slash spam and here usually a person with streak of luck or ping difference matters.

10. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

>got cornered by slashing knight
    "y cant i win from here, nite op"

11. Yagger

75% of people that complain about OP knights needing nerfs are archers. topkek or bad knights

Apronymous likes this.
  12. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Uhh well relatively speaking knights are considerably more powerful than archers so wanting some balance there is fair. Bad knights asking for knight nerfs doesn't make sense as relatively speaking they'd just be making their situation harder.

What you should be mocking people for is wanting to make knight combat less skillful/easier for scrubs.

hierbo likes this.
  13. Geti

I was, cornering someone takes some combination of positioning, mind games or massive ping advantage, or else requires them to slip up/suck.

14. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

wat. forum admin b mean man. gotta calmz dem downs D:
    plus. I already made my point xD..

15. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Or getting stuck in the corner of a block :V

LostPix likes this.
  16. LostPix

LostPix Base Burner

All of the rage on this one.

17. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Do you really think knights are the faster? Just be archer, take your grapplin, climb a tower. A knight cannot do that.
    Why should they be slower? Because they have a armor? Then remove bombarrows, bombs, kegs, etc. just because it is not realistic. I think the classes are balanced.

18. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Actually they never added it to beta

19. Yagger

Hue.

Apronymous likes this.
  20. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Shield bash would be incredible if it could stop at least one slash, and i wouldn't be angry if knights were slightly nerfed even though i usually only play knight