1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[885][Gen] Sitting on your arse during build phase

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by DooMAD, Sep 18, 2013.

1. DooMAD

DooMAD Shipwright

I don't get why people just sit there doing nothing during the build phase if they usually play as Archer or Knight. With the possible exception of taming an animal, there's no reason why you couldn't be doing something useful.

Stop being lazy, switch to Builder, go chop down some trees that are far away, re-plant the seeds somewhere sensible, gather some wood and stone and then switch back to your chosen class just before the game begins. Any resources you've collected go into storage, which actually helps your team, instead of you just sitting there like a mong.

You don't have to actually BUILD anything, but just help out a little.
    [​IMG]
    </rant>

wilpin7, Hawxx, Invisibility and 4 others like this.
  2. i doubt any of those people will read it.

if someone does, he wont care

3. sinnertie

sinnertie Ministry of Hatred Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

People are being lazy as Ej said and won't even read this or care about it. They expect everybody else to do whole work for them while they only want to fight with enemy team without any care of the base or team. Some people also don't know how to help or are simply afraid of building to not make something wrong and later being blamed for it. I don't think posts like this will affect them or give them food for thought.

4. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I'll confess, if I don't get the supply boxes I don't build.

Hawxx, amgtree, Kramgnauh and 2 others like this.
  5. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I do whatever anyways, but at the cost of using all the gold I get to buy extra migrants... unless someone asks for a tech...

But yeah, Builders are awkward, but the basis of their class [building] is pretty easily circumvented by both the Archer and Knights now.
    [Archers are still weird as hell]

6. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

I have no problem with people who are bad at building refraining from helping out during build time if they choose to do so.

What I do have a problem with is damnable Archers hopping all over every single construction with their damnable grappling hooks and making it impossible to build anything efficiently. Why can't they just sit on their asses calmly or stand at the front lines until the match starts? Honestly.

MortalZappy and Monsteri like this.
  7. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Sometimes people just cbf building and just want to take a break from building.

But yeah... get up off ur buts ppl :D

8. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

Building in KAB sucks anyway. Blocks are too expensive and weak to make the time investment as a builder worth it.

9. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

I didn't know trees dropped seeds, I'll make sure to pick them up from now on. Builder has always been my favorite class. It's not as solid as classic, I think it has to do with the mining/chopping animation/sound. Juggling logs is sort of frustrating and unnecessary compared to the old trees. Then placing blocks is also a finicky task in beta.
    It's enough reasons to understand why some people don't enjoy playing builder, but then again, I'd go as far to say that builder has always been the most underplayed class.

Hawxx likes this.
  10. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

^

11. MortalZappy

MortalZappy Catapult Fodder

I agree with Nighthawk...

12. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

I confess that on occasion, I feel like being a dick. I do as the archers do in these times of shame.
    Most of the time though, I gather resources or build workshops.

Sir_Walter and Galabranth like this.
  13. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

People should always contribute to the build phase (unless afk) if they don't your builders [serious] will take longer to build structures and defences, therefore increasing your teams chance of loss becouse by this time the other team may have a huge advantage of you.

14. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I would much rather have someone sit on their arse and be out of the way than have them get in the way or mess up what someone else is doing. Most people (at least me) find one place to build a useful defense and stay out of what everyone is doing.

SMASH1413 likes this.
  15. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

Every time i have went builder in ctf i find myself not having enough time to do what i want to do and then go back to the tent to change to knight. this one thing has screwed me over many times in fact, i was late to the front lines and they got a flag because i was too slow as builder and wasn't able to be there to kill the invaders. so usually i just go knight automatically so i don't have to fuck around as builder, i will end up rushing and usually i end up winning with this tactic alone. in the end I don't feel bad for not building because of my impact on the match(not bragging btw :>) however in tth because the build time is much larger i will usually go builder and make some useful structures. to me its just impossible in ctf to go builder then go knight unless your task as builder is minuscule.

16. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

typically, when I'm in ctf, I build a shoddy wall or some workshops, just to make a contribution, and then go knight and I can be at the frontlines before build time is over. In TTH though, I actually build stuff.

17. SMASH1413

SMASH1413 Bison Rider

So long as people do somthing productive during the build phase, everyone should contribute even if it is just mining.

DooMAD likes this.
  18. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I've seen a number of surprising and useful activities in build phase that many could learn from, as I did.

I have seen knights hacking trees down and gathering the wood and relocating the seeds to good places. I've also seen archers grab the supply crates and bring them to the builder they felt was building the most useful object, which is great and fast due to their awesome speed and general mobility.

See, class loyalists? You can still help during the build phase, even if you're too embarrassed to be seen without your shirt on!

Sir_Walter likes this.
  19. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I think the build time on ctf should be extended considerably. That or start builders out with 200 stone, server owners.

20. mari_kiri

mari_kiri Catapult Fodder

Rules/CTF/ctf_vars.cfg, line 10 [939]:
    Code:
    	#amount of pre-game time once there are enough players ingame
    	warmup_time = 120; #seconds <-- Change 120 to whatever

Rules/CTF/Scripts/CTF_GiveSpawnItems.as, line 51 [939]:
    Code:
    bool GiveSpawnResources( CRules@ this, CBlob@ blob, CPlayer@ player, CTFPlayerInfo@ info )
    {
    	bool ret = false;

if (blob.getName() == "builder")
    	{
    		ret = SetMaterials( blob, "mat_wood", 100 ) || ret;
    		ret = SetMaterials( blob, "mat_stone", 30 ) || ret;

if(this.isWarmup())
    		{
    			ret = SetMaterials(blob, "mat_wood", 300) || ret;
    			ret = SetMaterials(blob, "mat_stone", 100) || ret; // Change 100 to 200
    		}

And one thing you forgot to mention, times between restocks, which is this...

Rules/CTF/Scripts/CTF_GiveSpawnItems.as, line 7 [939]:
    Code:
    // spawn resources

#include "RulesCore.as";
    #include "CTF_Structs.as";

const u32 materials_wait = 20; //seconds between free mats <-- Change 20 to whatever
    const u32 materials_wait_warmup = 40; //seconds between free mats <-- Change 40 to whatever

That's how to do all that stuff.

I do have a slight disagreement though.

120 secs and 100 stone per restock is enough for one person to guard at least two separate flags (or one flag and a group of two flags) assuming you don't mine any stone, without having to resort to wooden walls or doors. But that's about it really.

If your team is good, though, then you can usually build something pretty good in that time.

Rubixxcube and hierbo like this.