1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Testing Maps on KAB???

Discussion in 'Help' started by RogueCupcake, Sep 29, 2013.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

I have made a couple of maps for Beta but I don't know how to test them. I know on Classic you do the console thing on solo deathmatch/sandbox or whatever. So, how do you do it on Beta???

-Thanks,
    RougeCupcake

2. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'm not sure about this, but you can do that at the Save the Princess Mode, just open the console and type '/loadbitmap mapname.png' which loads a map you got on your maps folder, or '/loadmap mapname.png'

3. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

I personally use my computer as a dedicated server then join through the server browser. They do a good job explaining how to set it up here.

If you don't want to go through the trouble of setting up a server you should be able to get results by placing your map as the first one to load in base/rules/challenge/mapcycle.cfg

Then play solo --> challenge, your map should load.

4. Powse

Powse Haxor

Either join Save the princess or Challenge, press Home button to display a console, then do accordingly to map format:

• .PNG - /loadbitmap mapname
    • .KAG - /loadmap mapname
    Map must be in Base/Maps folder.

5. RogueCupcake

I tried opening the console and doing that but it didn't work.

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You can set up an autostart as well, starting a local game and joining that

eg
    Code:
    // initialize script

#include "Default/DefaultStart.as"

//we can use this to set autoconfig stuff here
    void Configure()
    {
        s_soundon = 1; // sound on
        v_driver = 5;  // default video driver
    }

void InitializeGame()
    {
        print("Initializing Game Script");
        LoadDefaultMapLoaders();
        LoadDefaultGUI();
        LoadDefaultMenuMusic();

RunLocalhost();
    }

Saved as KAG/CustomStart.as

you can make a batch file RunGame.bat

Code:
    KAG.exe nolauncher autostart ../CustomStart.as
    Running that will start a local game and join it, you can make it load sandbox or tth/war or ctf or whatever you want in autoconfig.cfg like you would for a kag server

while this might seem "involved" - it is the "right" way to do it - it will load the correct rule set and map loader files, so that /loadmap Maps/YourMap.png will work correctly.

Tsilliev likes this.
  7. RogueCupcake

Ummmmm, I am not very, tech smart like you and what you said is very confusing, but I will try anyway. Anyone know how to explain in more, tech coding noob way?

8. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower

Yes, my inquiring mind would also like to know about this.

RougeCupcake,

I think, for Windows at least, you just copy/paste Geti's code text into a basic text editor like Notepad (Better still: Notepad++) and then…

1. Save As…
    2. Select “All Files” from drop-down menu.
    3. Copy the exact title that Geti provided.
    4. Saving the files with the correct “.as” and “.bat” ending will actually create the file type automatically.

I don't understand how to proceed though. I run the .bat and it does nothing. Do I have to add something?

EDIT: Oh, do I add something to this line:
    Code:
    void Configure()
    :huh?:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  9. RogueCupcake

:) Thanks a lot. I know how to do that!

10. Powse

Powse Haxor

No, it has everything it needs provided in the "{ }". Just be sure to include CustomStart.as in your main Kag directory as indicated in the .bat file.

11. Rocinante

Awesome! ::D:
    RougeCupcake, after you make the files just move them into the main KAG-Beta file and run the .bat. It will create a TDM map that you can load custom maps into. Press the Home button and enter this into the console:

/loadmap Maps/[MapName].png

Make sure your map is in the Maps folder and that it has a spawn point in it. It works! Thanks, youse!

(Although I'm not sure how to change the gamemode like Geti suggested. The TDM has a two minute timer… Is there a line in autoconfig that I change or add?)

12. Powse

Powse Haxor

Try typing /sv_gamemode desiredgamemode in console and then restart your server.

13. Rocinante

Okay, that works. Sandbox seems broken though. There's no spawn point so the map is generated and nothing happens. Not sure if there's something I need to do... Sandbox is ideal though. Testing a map by yourself in any other game mode doesn't make sense.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 3, 2013, Original Post Date: Oct 1, 2013 ---
    Yeah, when I change the gamemode to sandbox there's an error message in the console that basically says the rules for OnPlayerRequestSpawn (or something) aren't loading. I tried using modded Sandbox gamemode but that doesn't work either.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Sandbox is only "ideal" for testing sandbox maps. Other gamemodes will be missing the gamemode specific objects and spawn rules, so you'll be unable to see (for example) where the red barrier lies, confirm tents and flags will be in the right position or that your halls are all correctly aligned.

If you want to get past the red barrier, add some bots so the game can start.

15. Powse

Powse Haxor

Incase you wondered... Typing !bot in chat adds the NPC. :)

Geti likes this.
  16. Rocinante

Oh, thank you. ::P:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    Geti likes this.
  17. Skinney

I have a couple issues with the localhost server that's run through CustomStart.as.
    • You are prompted to download any mods you are using even though the client and the server are the same.
    • Mods that utilize custom assets fail to load said assets but otherwise work.
    • Map requires restart to properly load map loaded entities even if game mode is already designated.
    Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
    nirvanajm likes this.
  18. MM

MM THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I'm working on the mod issues. Should be fixed this week.

19. Skinney

All the problems I have encountered from localhost have been fixed, thanks MM.

20. Rocinante

Has anything changed about maps since October or the Steam release? I'm trying to load my own map into the local game run from the batch file Geti made but it's not working. At worst, it crashes the game.

/loadmap Maps/[MapName].png - seems to work for the maps already included.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey