1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Should we add timer for bomb?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chumind, Oct 16, 2013.

?

Should we?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

Should we add a timer for the bomb? Just like how there was a timer in Classic.

2. no, learn how to play

Piano, Bammboo and Joefesok like this.
  3. kilmanio

kilmanio Arsonist

the bomb will explode when it looks like a small tomato.

Cirom and tlc2011 like this.
  4. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

^ Tomato bombs master race!

It isn't hard to memorize when to throw the bomb. Plus now you don't have to hover over it all the time!

Except on a laggy server 90% of the time you'll blow yourself up...

tlc2011 likes this.
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Anything that raises the skill ceiling for the already demolishing knights is okay by me.

And I play as a knight.

6. Kramgnauh

Kramgnauh Bison Rider

no timer for bombs, just let the feeling of when the bombs explode flow through you

7. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

The devs removed the timer to increase the game's skill curve, as far as bomb usage goes. Now, if you want to use bombs well, you have to learn the timing.

The timer will not be making a reappearance.

8. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I don't really like all this "harder is better" Just because you can make something harder to do doesn't mean you should, like what if you needed to input a crazy up down left right 720 spin type the alphabet input in order to jab? That would be stupid. While it's true KAG needs a higher skill ceiling, we should look to accomplish this by expanding the decision making process, not by arbitrarily making things less user friendly.

That said I like there being no timer as it's a crutch in the truest sense of the word. Looking at the timer as opposed to just knowing the timing really reduces a knights ability to act fluidly. Even though I knew the timing from earlier stages after the timer was introduced to classic I found myself looking at it out of laziness. I don't think it would necessarily be a bad addition but I'd be looking for a way to mod it out of my display.

9. Mellian-Quar-Xililix

Mellian-Quar-Xililix Haxor

You can raise the skill ceiling in an infinite number of ways, as Contrary had already pointed out.

I'm more on the mindset of "easy to learn, hard to master". Knight (or any class) should be easy to learn (which some could argue it already is) but it should take at least a few weeks of playing to understand the nuances of how the knight works. Adding a timer would probably make it easier for new players to use a bomb. But how to use a bomb effectively is different from just saying "toss at 20".

10. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Is this post constructive really ?
    Nice respect.

Ream, GloriousToast, WarrFork and 3 others like this.
  11. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We won't be adding a timer for the bomb. The bomb gives clear visual feedback on when it's going to explode, and the timing is consistent from bomb to bomb. Have you been wishing in counter strike for a timer on frags?

A server shouldn't be hitting its CPU cap so that bomb timers change - if it is, the player count should be lowered.

inactive_account likes this.
  12. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Look at a medieval bomb with a lit fuse. Do you see a timer? no.

tlc2011 likes this.
  13. LOL spidey telling someone he isnt respectful

also i clearly meant that he should learn when bombs blow instead of asking for another pointless facilitation

sorry if you didnt get it

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  14. Chumind

Chumind Bison Rider

I've tryed to bomb jump with my 5th bomb but unsuccessful.
    Also the frag never explode if you hold the key down.

15. Auburn

I've gibbed myself many a time trying to bomb jump. Bomb jumping isn't something that you can really try to do, ya just do it, and don't give up.

16. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Wait so as long as I hold spacebar down, it won't blow up? That is so useful to know.

17. Auburn

not in KAG, i repeat NOT IN KAG

18. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Oh. He meant a literal frag.

>.>

19. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Sure, but it still has set time from throw to explosion.

There's 4 seconds from lighting to bomb to it exploding. It flashes for the last ~half second (essentially the time you should be jumping into the air and shielding down).

I should note that you can't do held bomb jumps reliably in KAG anymore. You have to throw the bomb behind you. That might be causing confusion for knights coming from classic. Held jumps sometimes work with lag due to a bug.

Here's how to bomb jump:

[​IMG]

Practice offline maybe, get a feel for it without too much carnage going on

It's much harder with ping >150 of course, but below that there's no real change in technique.

20. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

nononononononono
    timer bad
    nononononononono
    Seriously, don't add the timer, the game becomes Baby's First Bombing Sim when you do.