1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to farming and animals?

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Sir_Edward, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Do you think there should be farming/animal sheperding in kag beta?

1. yes

77.3%
  2. no

22.7%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Landoo2

Landoo2 Ballista Bolt Thrower

maybe this post isnt at the right place, but i didnt find another with animails,
    i would really like more animails, especially birds. it would make the game look more ''alive''

2. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Analmails.
    It'd be fun to slaughter analmails whilst taking over beta.

3. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

As much as I admit your post made me laugh a good one, it does also sadly make fun of possible a non-english speaker (this game is being made in poland after all). Let's keep this thread on the right track shall we? I also think birds and generally more animals is a good idea.

As Geti explained in detail the main problem with farming is the repetitiveness of the tasks. The solution is obviously to have an automated process that you still need to manage now and then and build effectively.

Main comparisons to successful games include Starcraft, where you simply need to tell all you SCVs at once to get to work, and that's all until something happens (workers get attacked). Imagine if you had to tell your SCV to get to that crystal every time he came back, AND you had to do that for each SCV without multi-select. Man, that would be pretty stupid. Sometimes success of a game hinges on the little things... gotta make it the most convenient possible.

As with everyone I believe the game will only benefit from a solid economy system, only the trick is to make it so that it doesn't detract too much from the main occupation : WAR! To that end, anything that you can quickly do, as in dropping by a shop and selecting something to work for you while your off winning the game for your team, will do nicely. The implementation of eggs is a perfect example of this : don't need to wait around faffing about for it, just buy it, lay it, go fight, die, respawn, and you got yourself a chicken, yay! So with wheat n' burgers same principle : buy it, lay it, let it grow, cut it and BAM - the shop now has some stock coming (3 or 4 burgers) up for ya next time you respawn. No need to pick up... figure out what wheat is... find shop... place in shop... what now... NOPE SEE THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. Any noob might cut down some wheat not even realizing he's actually helping his team. Great success.

If TL;DR : gotta make it simple yet effective - just like the chicken eggs.

4. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Even if just for cosmetic reasons I feel this game should add some of the animals and things in. I noticed there is a bat on the buy poster, and an unused jellyfish in the entities/natural/animals folder. I do feel the bat would be a nice touch, along with some other animals to make the world feel more alive before it is killed by the end of a battle! Also there are these flowers which can be added to custom maps that heal the player when they walk over them, are those going to have anything done with them?

Either that bat needs removed from the buy poster or it needs finally implemented...same with the bomber, that airship needs removed from the poster or added in in some way instead of just getting to use it on modded servers or summoning commands! Don't want false advertising!

5. keyofdoor

keyofdoor Haxor

Sorry if I'm taking this out of context but most players can't even comprehend simple concepts such as teamwork, I don't believe they'll adopt something like an economy system without fucking things up.

6. eamono

eamono Arsonist

remember the first kitchens? the ones where you had to manually make food? we couldn't even handle THAT without fucking up. I mean come on, how many times did you play a game where EVERYONE contributed to food production instead of 1 person being the dedicated food bitch (if you were lucky)

Vampire and keyofdoor like this.
Mods: Rainbows