1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Double names

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Accelerator, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accelerator

Accelerator Catapult Fodder

I would just like to say there should be someway to have just one name when you link your steam account or at least an option to unlink.

Being called "Name" ("Name") is very unattractive, I'm sure some would agree.

GloriousToast, Piano and Contrary like this.
  2. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

It's like that to prevent imposting of people like the KAG Staff. Also, since steam has that insta name change feature it's also there to prevent other kind of name regarded trolling or other bad stuff.

Gurin likes this.
  3. Solomon-Grundy

Solomon-Grundy Shopkeep Stealer

I agree. It's odd to have two names. Maybe make it possible to just show your Steam name?

4. sinnertie

sinnertie Ministry of Hatred Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

No, it's not possible. As Galen already explained, you can change your visible nickname in chat and killfeed how much you wish, however you must have your Steam username (or KAG username if you are registered before the Steam release) in the brackets to prevent from impersonation and there won't be any possibility to disable that.

5. chrabeusz

chrabeusz Bison Rider

Why not just show the KAG username?

6. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

When changing name and you see your real name, so annoying, takes the fun out of it. :(

7. JazzyJazz77

JazzyJazz77 Shipwright

I think the name system is fine how it is? I like the idea that it shows that people are old beta players.

8. AsIPutOnMyWizRobes

AsIPutOnMyWizRobes Catapult Fodder

[​IMG]

9. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

How the hell do you even change your name?

10. Boea

Boea Such Beta

press the [HOME] button, and then type " /cl_name [NAME] "

11. tlc2011

tlc2011 Base Burner

Okay, thanks.

12. Force

Force Shark Slayer

Is it possible to just use your Kag Username and disregard your steam username. Because I would prefer to just keep my old kag name by itself. I regret linking it and an unlink option would be appreciated, or if i just cant find it could someone tell me how to unlink.

Guitarman and Boea like this.
  13. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Wait, so your fake name shows in the killfeed? Sounds like impersonation could still be an issue then.

14. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Yes the Nickname shows in the Killfeed.
    The roster shows both, with the convention of [TAG] NICK (ACC NAME)
    I forgot what happens when you mouse over people, I'm leaning towards both, but Iunno

As far as impersonation goes, you can't impersonate the Dev/Staff/Guard Hats, unless you are specifically capable (eg, SHARK Clan?) or are that person (eg, Geti).

15. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

letting people have multiple names seems like more trouble than it's worth tbh. If impersonation is such a major concern (as you would expect in a tight-knit community like this one), why allow it to begin with?
    In the event that steam has forced this ambiguity, why not disallow certain "big" names like Geti and MM, etc. altogether? Then there's no need to display both. Other than that, maybe if two people of the same nickname appear in the same server, the second to join should get a (1) by his name and that's it.

16. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Well, the Devs already fixed the issue of Impersonating Staff and Guards, by linking Unique Hats to their Account, and giving them a Special Name Color (also tied to their account).

As far as nicknames is concerned, you are allowed to have them, but for the sake of being able to track friends, foe, and griefers, the real name is shown on the roster at the very least.
    [Solves the issues of griefers, and impersonators from pulling bullshit with nicknames and anonymity for free, but allows people to have nicknames]
    And as for the (n) suffix, completely unnecessary when you have the players' real names as (s) suffixes.
    [Besides, when the horse heads came out, Kouji or EJ was heckled by all of his freinds. They all wore horse heads, and teabagged them, with their nicknames set to "Troll", no issues were had because the system doesn't collapse when the Guards don't wear their hats, or have their Account Name as their Nickname]

I don't know how to vocalize, reiterate, or dictate this, but Impersonation has become a non-issue due to the systems in place.
    An effect of this is that we can have nicknames when we damn well please. (HOME > /cl_name NAME)
    A side effect is that we can reasonably track down greifers without the help of a Moderator/Server Operator to scry their account name, which saves a lot of time and effort with moderation. (Account Name is shown in Roster, and probs mouse over, after their Nickname)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  17. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

If you want to use only your KAG username as your name, you can either have your steam nickname that same as your username or launch through the KAG launcher, rather than through steam.

The first one is probably the best way to go ;)

18. Juaro

Juaro Haxor Staff Alumni Tester

This has been fixed by the scoreboard update anyways, your adopted name is now separated from your username on two different columns on the scoreboard. I guess locking this would be appropriate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.