1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Tunneling should be easily countered.

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Vania, Nov 7, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

Tunneling under the enemy's base and stealing their flag is the cheapest tactic there is.
    A single builder can do it, and it will disrupt the whole game because all the towers become useless.

Cheap tactics like that should be easily countered.

2. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

An idea I had is poison clouds:

Poison clouds only work underground because the gas dissipates very fast when it reaches non-dirt tiles. (The gas travels upwards)
    However underground it works well because it stays there for a long time, players who touch it get damaged (similar to drowning)

3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

It's already easily countered: send a builder and a few knights to seal off the tunnel with doors, then use that tunnel against the enemy and walk into their base.

Aeynia and GloriousToast like this.
  4. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

Additionally, flood it if you can. That's a fun solution.

5. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

I think Auburn and Nighthawk have already introduced proven ways to counter tunneling.

BUT, I do wonder how gas would fit in the game. Sounds like a fun idea for cleaning tunnels and other tight spaces. *nods his head in content until a more experienced player shoots the idea down with impeccable logic*

By the way, if you want to look for other ideas for cleaning tunnels and other tight spaces, here's a classic game (Mine Bombers) that revolves solely around that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H2KlvoHqSM

Here's a link to the game download if you would like to test the weapons yourself. The game is freeware:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/pacbros/skitsoproductions/games.html

Feel encouraged to look into the weapons for inspiration. My favourite back in the day was Polyurethane Foam that filled the tunnel with, well, polyurethane at explosion, potentially surrounding the enemy. Naturally a more medieval approach would have to be taken with KAG

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  6. how the hell do you actually lose to a single builder

GloriousToast likes this.
  7. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

When I am that builder who literally likes to spend up to an hour just digging tunnels to make the game more interesting. If you have ever played KAG Classic with me and my gang of tunnel diggers, you would understand.

8. i dont know if you have managed to notice but this thread isnt about alpha

9. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I do this in both classic and current. Its the same exact concept.

10. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

That's not an easy counter. This means the game turns into a race to see which team can send more knights down the tunnel.

This is exactly what I was talking about, a tunnel built by a single builder forces everybody to play in a particular way. Now everybody has to go fight in the tunnel and pretty much the team that sends more knights down wins.

Boring.

11. or you just stop them at your flag which is in proximity to your tent

BUT THATS ONLY AN IDEA

Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Ugh tunneling and tunnelers.

Tunneling is a big reason I will never go back to classic, at least it is easier to counter and deal with in Beta, and a little more interesting...But otherwise I hate tunneling with a burning fire. When I make beta maps they tend to have bedrock in places to prevent it.

Best ways to counter it: Flood the tunnel if possible, take over the tunnel, fill in the tunnel, put traps in the tunnel, and defend the tunnel.

Also Ej, how about the games were practically the whole team is on the frontlines spawning at a ballista or something? Stealth missions happen sometimes and can ruin games in annoying ways. It happens sometimes...Plus like they said, it can force the game into tunnel warfare and a lot of us hate that...

13. use the minimap?

14. Kriegson

Kriegson Catapult Fodder

Pretty much this. Just had a map with some pretty nutty tunneling going on, entire world was stripped to bedrock in the middle, but we managed to defend it vastly by having a good structure around the flag and keeping it up.

Tunneling does not make or break games, it only expands them. It may not be a direction you like, but then go builder and drop wood doors all the way down the tunnel or something. A tunnel can be made or broken by a single builder with resources.

15. ZeroZ30o

ZeroZ30o Haxor

"When I make beta maps they tend to have bedrock in places to prevent it."
    Yes. All of my yes. It's the mapmaker's job to prevent this kind of things. Flooding the tunnel generally works, however traps and tunnel defense is what we're trying to avoid, by making these tunnels... pretty much not possible.
    Bedrock is the solution.

16. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

I especially hate those maps with a built in tunnel. Why. Just why.

17. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

with the increasing amount of mossstone in maps it isn't that effective anymore. But i have great respect of someone i fought in a game about a few month's ago (beta). i didn't memorized the name of that player but he was able to solo tunnel in our base and 2knights and 2builders weren't able to stop him. He used a combination of rocks and onewaydoors and crushed us every time we tried approximating him.

but i think the "teamdoor-water-tunneling" is a little bit overpowered because it don't have the flaws of normal tunneling (flooding, using tunnel against enemy)

18. ZeroZ30o

ZeroZ30o Haxor

I didn't know you could post from the undead. Probably using and iPad, too.

Tunneling is bad and you should feel bad.

Mods: Rainbows