1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Is 1:1 pixel mapping in widescreen possible?

Discussion in 'Help' started by Pantalaimon, Nov 7, 2013.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Builder Stabber

Today I accidentally selected the wrong resolution (1024x768) in the setup box, and when I got in-game I noticed that the graphics were now running in what I would guess is 1:1, as in I was seeing square pixels.

I hadn't before thought this was possible, since I usually play in 1280x720 (in a window) and just assumed the pixels being weird and smudgy was part of the charm. As much as I am used to how it looks (kind of like it), is there any way that I can have the lovely pixel art in a widescreen res (non 4:3) with square pixels?

If it's a technical limitation of the way the engine works, I guess I'll have to accept that, or play the game at 1200x900 ::P:

edit: still got wonky pixels at that display size, so I guess it's not a 4:3 thing.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Unfortunately it's a limitation done for balance - if we made it always 1x1 or 2x2 or 4x4 pixels at any res, people would be able to set their res higher and fit whole maps on their screen - at which point they'd notice that stuff far away wasn't synced very often :^) We have to keep the view area the same; that said, it might be possible to get square pixels in widescreen by allowing a little bit of horizontal view leeway.

1024x768 is the game's native resolution, so you'll get the best pixel mapping in that, or in exact multiples of it.

3. Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Builder Stabber

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about the balance/sync factor. Makes sense. I'll stick to 720p since I'm used to it, although the native res is probably the best looking :)

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey