1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

arrow can stun a slash

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Landoo2, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Archers can be pretty darn useful with their bomb arrows at times. I've captured, or helped to capture at least over 50 flags by shooting the way open. This is great, but doesn't happen often. Other time I spend on playing as an archer goes to cqc'ing knights, and while I can get a decent 3:1 KD like that, killing enemies is sloow compared to knight, and hearts lying everywhere really stagger your progress.

I don't really mind this though. Archers have decent utility with their bomb arrows now (would be nice if we were able to stack them more). I just wish this stupid feature was removed, slashing arrows mid-air. If there was a parry move I'd be fine with that blocking arrows, but an attack move shouldn't both attack and defend - slashing has zero risk involved.

2. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Doesn't matter if damage output is lower. If you are playing Archer to only do damage, you are playing it wrong.

Things an Archer can do better:
    Get over defenses (and before you say, oh but knights can bomb jump, yeah they can. But it costs coins in CTF and in both TTH/CTF you don't have total control. To get over a high tower, you need an almost equally high tower on your own side to bomb jump from. Archers on the other hand can grapple anywhere for free and get past walls no matter how high they are without having to use an equally high tower)

Capture Flags (sure knights can capture flags as well but to get there either the entire way has to be clear or they have to bomb jumb which is less ammo to use to get pass something impassable. Archers on the other hand can easily get past defenses for free and instead of using their destruction items for just getting near the flag, they can use it to get access to an otherwise inaccessible flag. Additionally, Archer class is clearly the best class for ninja flag caps at the start of the game. Defense are generally more poor and you can just grapple in and out. Also unlike knights, archers can get in and out without having to use explosives cept for just getting access, while knights need bombs to get deep into a base and generally access it and then bomb jump out. If you just get to access and run out of ammo, good job, all you did was waste time cause by the time you get back, it'll be repaired.)

Destroy/Burn Forward Bases (fairly obvious. Forward towers are generally wood and and single fire arrow easily burns them down. If it's stone, just hit a weak spot with a bomb arrow since forward towers are fairly fragile. Unlike knights, archers don't have to waste their special arrows in combat (cept for water arrows). A knight on the other hand is almost always going to use thier bombs before they can get to the tower since they HAVE to fight their way there unlike archers who can do them from a range)

Take Out Siege (also obvious. Knights are simply going to get rolled over by siege or get hit by rocks/ballistias before they have a chance to get there. If a knight can get there, it's generaly cause the drivers and operators are bad or they ran out of ammo. It's also fairly obvious why Archers have the advantage here).

Yagger likes this.
  3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I've noticed a lot of archers complaining about damage output from single arrows. Maybe if archers did 1.5 hearts of damage for a fully charged arrow. It's not so much damage that it would make archers OP, but it is also enough that knights will have to actually worry about how much damage they take from a single archer backing up the enemy knights. The devs could try this out and see how it works combined with the triple-shot for maybe a day or two, and if it doesn't work and the community hates it, they can revert it back to one heart. After all, what is the point of beta if the devs aren't allowed to test new things out?

paradoxicalenigma likes this.
  4. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

Now, I'm well aware you never stated that you were for slashes destroying arrows. I'm just assuming that you are based off the context of your earlier posts.

Now that I've finished sounding smart, slashes destroying arrows is also very luck based. The only way I can see someone doing it with skill is doing it at long range. However, doing it at long range is pointless as you could just shield.
    Ergo, the only time when it is useful is when you are in short range. And yet, when you are in short range it is completely luck based.

Destroy it.

5. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Agreed. I get the feeling that if you charge up your single arrow, you should get more damage from your patience.

Also, I've noticed how close-range arrows actually stun knights. I've enjoyed this addition very much. It also makes sense, since the arrow obviously has the most velocity at release, therefore it could deal more damage, say 1.5 hearts? But no extra damage for triple-shot, its already effective enough I think.

I also agree that slashing arrows out of the air with slash is pretty ridiculous. You know how heavy typical medieval swords are? This ain't a katana, but a big hunk o' iron you got there sir. Either make a samurai/ronin class or just use the shield, its what its made for.

6. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I'd be thankful for simply removing the arrow slash for now. I have a feeling that by removing that alone it should offer archers more chances of getting shots in, which I consider the real issue here and not the damage.

Rayne likes this.
  7. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I can try to find my video of me capturing all 3 team's flags using 3 bomb arrows and 1 life as archer. Would that do? Because although I can't give you a video of me destroying the entire enemy team as archer, that really is just as good. Archers are more mobile than knights, they can get over obstacles way easier, destroy wooden buildings with their fire arrows, create holes to get through with bomb arrows, and more easily capture flags. Archers are support. They will always be support and its because they are best at being support.

Think of it this way. What is a Heavy in TF2 without his Medic. The heavy is just a fat slow man with a big gun. Sure he can take out the smaller classes like engineer with ease in 1v1 combat, but without his medic, he cant keep that up for long. What is a Medic in TF2 without his Heavy? A german man who may or may not be a nazi doctor, a low health class that can do little attack damage by himself, but can still get across the battlefield with ease with his uber, whether or not he has ubered someone.

/endrant

8. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

Agreed. However, anything based on luck should not be in a game like kag.

9. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I definitely agree that bomb arrows are actually a really strong tool for archers, but nothing so much better than what knight has between the cheaper and more versatile bombs, the more destructive kegs, and being better suited to abusing mines.

@Duplolas I actually even have a clip of myself using a bomb arrow to easily steal a flag, out of my 20 minutes ever playing archer. Again, it's a useful ability but I gotta ask, how many people did you kill during this time? And were they any knights standing in your way?

10. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Well just to get this train back on track, I'd also admit it makes sense for an arrow to cancel an attack. I mean, it's gotta hurt, right? If the knight that's rushing you corners you though, your triple shot won't save you.

An archer doesn't care about getting the most kills, what he wants is to annoy while staying clear of danger. And let me tell ya there's nothing more satisfying than getting that fire arrow to reduce a base to ash. :D

11. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

Agreed.
    if you want to rack up kills, go knight. Imo, archer plays a fast espionage/annoyance role.

12. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Probably killed 3 or so. Most of the time I don't play archer to kill, I play it to capture flags. Occasionally I play it to defend or to set wooden structures on fire, but I never play to get kills.

13. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Once more I bring up the issue with knight slash breaking arrows mid flight since I find this to be one of the most infuriating features in KAG at the moment.

I urge the devs to remove this silly feature since it requires no skill at all, it's simply a free buff that knights get just for slashing randomly while chasing an archer. Not to mention that jabbing (I kid you not) ALSO destroy arrows mid flight.

Furthermore, it makes careful aimed shots at the last moments almost impossible! Why? Well, allow me to explain.

We all are aware that charge slash adds a bit of momentum and allow you to dash forward a short distance, well combine that with this knowledge https://forum.kag2d.com/threads/knight-sword-range-tweak-request.16826/#post-247402 plus the fact that a charge slash can destroy arrows mid flight and now you know why it is so difficult to time your shots when knights are close to preparing to slash you.

I've died numerous times due to miscalculating the knight's sword range and the times I managed to finally get a shot, the knight simply slashed my arrows. I don't mind the charge slash momentum or the inaccurate sprite representation on screen since I'll more than probably learn to take those into account but the slashes destroying the arrows mid flight?

After finally learning to appreciate the distance before the sword hits me and charge my arrows just at the right time to hit the knight, I have my arrow slashed because the knight missed and slashed the air? Really?

Oh and to top it all, at one point I shot a knight (almost point blank shot) with a bomb arrow. He managed to slash my bomb arrow and the explosion killed me but he didn't appear to have taken any damage due to having slashed the bomb arrow! :bow::ehh::bird: :sword::>:(::bomb:

Monsteri likes this.
  14. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

I wouldn't mind slashing arrows being removed as much IF they were the archers from classic. You know, actually being marksman and being able to snipe at knights and whoever else. However, since due to complaints about mobility and strength before the legolas shot and grappling hook were introduced, we have someone who can traverse the map in so many ways and fight with such different methods that they can easily stomp knights and kill them or just mess up general structures. Go ahead and remove jabbing destroying arrows, but if I couldn't slash arrows in mid-combat with people such as other knights, it would be classic sniping again, except with special arrows or a 3 shot that you couldn't somehow deflect or block.

Apronymous likes this.
  15. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

I would have to disagree with the statement that by removing slash arrows, it would be kag classic sniping all over again or with the idea that archers can easily stomp knights and kill them (atleast not in a 1v1 scenario). The arrow stuns occur only when the knight is very close, therefore at long range a knight could shield against 20 arrows and not get scratched. At close distance it would be a completely different story but even then, unless the knight is dead after getting hit with a triple shot, the archer needs to flee or else he'll die in one slash or two jabs.

Let us not forget that slashing arrows mid flight isn't the only way to block incoming arrows, you still have your shield. Remember that the arrows stun only when you are very close to the archer and since it takes a long time to charge triple shot you can back away and if you manage to block triple shot without getting stunned the archer has no choice but to flee since the knight could easily gain ground.

Stomping knights isn't as reliable or accurate as it was in classic KAG and even then you would only be able to kill off wounded knights with the stomp. We're talking about a class that, currently, can't win a 1v1 fight with a knight unless the knight is wounded or the knight player is a newbie. Let us not forget that mobility works both ways and it can be quite easy to miss a stomp or miss a knight from a few meters away while trying to shoot him due to the knight's mobility. Not to mention that the knight can just as easily slash the archer when attempting a stomp, something I don't think was possible in alpha. (I could be wrong but it never happened to me so eh).

16. Gouanaco

Gouanaco Shark Slayer

Personally i think that nothing should be touched. Archers may have a harder time vs knights but thats because archers are RANGED & MOBILE. Knights are MELEE & TANKS.

Archers are 3x more mobile than a knight. And a knight is quite hard to kill. Archers are meant to support melee users and are extremely mobile. Knights are meant to get in there and kill as much as they can before they die. Nothing much more. On the fact of the Arrow slash. I think that it either should be left alone... or.

There should be a 50% chance of slashing an arrow or not.

17. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Leaving it to chance sounds horrible honestly. Imagine planning carefully your next shot or slash and relying on the fact that it would/wouldn't slash the arrow mid flight but it does/doesn't. It would just screw up with both knights and archer combat and make it chance based. That's really something you do not want in a game like KAG which is skill based.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 7, 2014, Original Post Date: Nov 9, 2013 ---
    For the love of KAG remove this stupid feature already! For a game that's supposed to be 'skill based' the stupid arrow slash feature is the most random and no-skill ability the knight has in his arsenal against the archer! It's not even a tactical feature, it's just a piss poor, shit ass mechanic that triggers every time you slash or jab like a moron and with the soul purpose of fucking up calculated shots due to the chance of the roll.

You can slash arrows with jabs for fuck's sake... you can slash/jab bomb arrows and the knight takes NO damage (but the archer takes FULL damage if near from explosion)!!! Are you serious? How much longer will this stupid OP feature (and the bugs related to it) continue to exist?!

Klokinator likes this.
  18. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

>leave arrow slashing alone
    >remove arrow jab
    >make water arrows explode when cut (trololo)

Even though arrow slashing is absolutely infuriating, When i'm on a roll a knight can't get anywhere near me unless they manage to shield bash off my face, or get a lucky arrow cut, or #@$# jab spam through all my arrows.

There should be no mechanics to add incentive to jab spam. It should not cut arrows. When a knight rushes me with jabspam, i either run away or hope that i'll get lucky, because there's a 50% chance all my arrows will get stabbed out of the air.

At least with slashing, i can time my shots between them and use my grappling hook to keep out of range until the right moment.

19. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

IMO arrow slashing makes no sense. If someone fires an arrow up close, you won't have time to charge a slash and release before it hits you. If it's far enough to allow you to charge up a slash, then you are better off shielding. All arrow slashing gives is knights a better way to attack archers up close since you can be slashing all over and just negate the carefully timed shot that was meant to stun you, go "lolno" and kill him.

20. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

My issue with the arrow slash: The knight can charge MUCH faster than the archer. Beating out a knight take plenty of timing, since you have to be charging BEFORE he starts his slash charge. Right now, an archer can start charging seconds before a knight does, release his arrow FIRST and the knight STILL wins because he slashed the arrow. It would be less broken if archers didn't have to rely on stuns so often to escape nights, but I cant imagine that changing (nor would I want it to). The knight ALREADY has a shield to stop arrows. this is overkill.

When I die to getting my arrow slashed it feels like he got a random crit. I dont think "oh I screwed up" or "Oh he's much better" I think "Oh, this again"