1. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer changes general

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Landoo2, Oct 31, 2013.

?

should there be arrows that do more damage then just 1 heart?

1. yes, but they should cost much

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. yes, because 4 arrows are too much to kill a knight

38 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. no, because archers are already overpowered

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. no, because ..... (post your reason in the thred pls)

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. who told you this

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I feel like you haven't played the game at all. Boulders don't prevent archers from firing their bow. Stealth simply doesn't work in this game unless you're playing in an empty server. Trying to get around a fort and "stealthily" capture the hall/flag isn't as good option as plowing through the fort, letting everyone enter, if you have the bomb arrows. You can also reach much higher speeds horizontally than vertically.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  3. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Stealth in KAG doesn't exist. Sad fact but true. No matter what you do, knight's will always see you moving and jumping over their tower. Also, fags like me break every corpse or pick it up and teabag it, so it makes playing dead obsolete. Also, bomb arrows may not be able to easily destroy stone doors, but they can destroy every other block.

4. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Every single time I shot a bomb arrow against a stone door it destroyed it. What are you talking about?

5. I feel Monsteri's suggestion, having read through the entire thread, is the sanest and most logical.

• No RNG variance on arrow fire. If we're to have the reticle to stay, then place it back where it should be (about 4 pixels to the left, iirc).
    • Stomping cancels collision damage.
    • Additionally, Lockpicks that temporarily disabled a door, with only continuous doors being affected. This helps counter door spam, be it stone or wood.

In accordance with the lockpicking, only boulders fired through catapults should tear the doors like paper. A human simply couldn't throw a boulder hard enough to break a stone door, but a catapult could.

6. Scynix

Scynix Catapult Fodder

The balance issue with archers is the same as it is in any war game, presence of force.

If I have to choose between having an archer or another knigget on my team, I will pick another knigget hands down every time.

Archers bring nothing irreplaceable to the fight. If I need bomb arrows, I'll bring a ballista with bomb ammo forward. I can still use them even as a knigget, and be a lot more likely to survive if I have to bail on it.

Archers are essentially non starters. What threat do they pose to an even remotely capable knigget?

Increasing their damage or their rate of fire will do nothing if they are still completely incapable of killing a knight of any measurable skill. No matter the trick shot a archer makes on a knight, the knight just has to right click. Yay, I win.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
    hierbo and Contrary like this.
  7. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Archers need to be able to shoot faster.

8. Nonsequitorian

Nonsequitorian Catapult Fodder

Maybe the multiple threads about how to be a ninja and that there's really no other use for playing dead? I don't know, but I usually associate ninjas with stealth.

Just a thought.

And maybe stealth doesn't work as a viable strategy as knights will always see you, but knights don't really seem to care if they've got other knights in their face ready to tear them a new one. It's also relatively easy to hide in a tree and not be seen at all. Maybe stealth isn't in KAG, but you can still go by a significant amount of enemies without being really cared about.

Grapple hook pulls nearly as fast going horizontal as it does vertical, but going verticle you never hit the ground and have the moment of walking to slow you down.

9. you probably shouldn't read "tutorials" made by 12yo who can't play the game at all

10. Nonsequitorian

I probably shouldn't.

It still doesn't take away from the fact that archers have an ability that would be nice for stealth - and that I'm not the only one who thinks so. Either the gameplay is made to fit archers more, or archers are made to fit the gameplay more (or its left how it is now and we have a class outclassed by many many things in many situations). Hell, having down be the dagger again (as in having the dagger again, not that down was the dagger etc etc) would be a a lot better than the whole playing dead thing. At least it would give cornered sods a fighting chance.

11. Auburn

You seem to be confusing the word "archer" with the word "ninja"
    They are not the same in KAG. ninjas do not exist, while archers do. You can try to sneak past players all you want, but you'll get a sword or arrow in the face, because A) the "guards" in this case are Human, and B) you are trying to sneak by them in a single plane. It is next to impossible to sneak into a base unless you eliminate everyone, but then they respawn and know where you're at.

And about having the dagger back, bad idea. It won't be as good as your bow in close range, and if you get cornered, you die, and that goes for every class. The point of archer is to outwit your opponent, and they are harder to play as than you think. In alpha, they were easy to play because 3 archers could sit in a tower spamming arrows all day, never die, and make tons of coins. Now archers need to be on the battlefield, and time their shots for when their shields are down, or try backing up their friendly knights as a support class.

Archers don't need to be buffed or debuffed, they're balanced as is. If you're complaining about how archers need to be buffed so they can easily kill knights, you suck as archer. If you're complaining about how archers are OP, you need to be a better knight. At this point in the game, the classes are pretty well balanced, any "unbalances" in your minds is really just coming from specific players' skills. I simply feel that archers just need a bit more utility. maybe simply being able to light kegs and use their grappling hook at the same time is all they need, or having a lockpick to get inside, switch to knight, and wreck their base from the inside.

12. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

Y did the bomb arrows get nerved? i liked the feeling pinning someone with the terrible fate getting destroyed in a few seconds; and the enemy can't do anything just wait :bow::bomb_arrow:

13. Nonsequitorian

I agree with the lighting kegs, but if you're holding a keg then the grapple hook would be ridiculous. It'd be GG for any sort of enemy fortress regardless of whatever. The ability to climb nearly any wall, stick to places that others can't reach, and blowing everything to hell? Nah.

I'd rather see, however, archers being able to use normal bombs and not kegs. They're not as strong and take up enough space to not really be useful for camping. I mean why can't they? They can use bomb arrows and fire arrows. Normal bombs would allow archers to get help knights get through barricades that are really well built by simply blowing them up from the other side.

14. Auburn

You know how easy it is to kill an archer scaling a wall right? Now imagine if they were slowed down by the keg. It's basically the same mechanic as a knight being able to shield while holding a keg, just the only difference is that archers are more mobile, but knights take more hits (okay, it really isn't the same mechanic, but it's still balanced IMO).

15. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Sure they are!!! Archers are the epitome of balance right now while knights are underpowered and should have 10 hearts and their own flying ship and builders can shoot exploding chickens out of their arses.

*the above should be be read sarcastically for those who don't know how sh*t the archer class is, and no we don't have explosive chickens but it would be awesome if we did*

16. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

This thread brings up some odd feelings inside me sometimes

Stealth in KAG?
    Getting more fire arrows than you already can?
    Stealth????
    Doors OP?????
    Also did you just say doors are OP and archers should go through them yet then say archers can grapple over them anyway??

@-@

Also ninjas aren't exactly stealth, they are nimble, fast, hard to kill, and good at killing...At least this is how I see them. The archer applies to the "ranger" type class, which has lesser armor but in most cases should have a lot of fast ranged low damage attacks...Sadly in games like KAG shields make it hard to do any damage. Glass machine gun as I'd think they should be, not stealth at all.

Also no dagger, dagger is horrible.

And seriously why do so many people feel the archer needs to be in CQC like Knights...do some of you not get the idea of a ranged class? The idea with the archer is to stay right outside of CQC range as much as possible and dodge as best as possible while filling your enemy with arrows. I still feel archer needs a slight buff though...just one or two at most...Of course most pro players would say otherwise but they are the pros, of course they wouldn't need it.

Grapple and kegs = Ew no.
    Light bombs? Ew no. Just make bomb arrows 45 instead of 50 or something if you are gonna do that.

17. Nonsequitorian

what would the use of making bomb arrows cost 5 gold less do? It seeems a really meanial amount

18. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

It was just a quick example but actually it would snowball a bit during a game now that I think of it. Instead of 150c for 3 bomb arrows it'd be 135. Only 15 more coins than a keg and you can destroy a tower from a distance with it. (And considering how much damage kegs tend to do to towers, three bomb arrows would be about equal if not more powerful, as they can easily hit where ever you want them to with a good triple shot.)

Funny how I was just using that to point out why archers don't need to be able to use bombs like Knights...but 135c for a triple bomb shot sounds pretty good now that I think of it.

19. H3llO

H3llO Shopkeep Stealer

i think archer are pretty balanced in CTF due to the great advantage of mobility and you can use all arrow types.
    TTH has the problem that if the team votes for keg Archer looses all possiblites for destroying blocks and decreases your chances opperating solo.
    _ _ _
    ohmygawd is my english bad today ยด-,-`

20. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

I would love to do that, except the shield negates any damage I can do outside of being super close to them.

Scynix and Raelian like this.