1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Classes vs. Money and KD

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Nighthawk, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

ummm, I know I'm no forum moderator, but isn't this the wrong place to bitch about archers? And about the grappling hook, knights and builders have no issues with mobility, so why shouldn't archers be able to get anywhere?

2. i too have been trying to get someone to add assists, and give archers a utility(dont rage reply me because i really dont care):smug:
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 2, 2013, Original Post Date: Nov 2, 2013 ---

3. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Eh, I feel archers are too niche, or situational to be practical on the battlefield.
    ["Getting the shot" ends up being a suicide run almost all the time]
    It is nice to know, and to experience archers as wet-tissue destroyers, but I'm still a bit rosy about the b800's, when they could prevent about half of their deaths, and make knights think more seriously about their life decisions.

If I ever need coins, it's Builder time; if I feel like gambling, then Knight time.

Additional thoughts on the Classes.
    It is hilarious how much wood a person can farm from two or more trees, but it is really painful to know that, as a builder, you can't really do much other than clog a hole or build a ladder before expiring.
    [You can get the dosh, but you really can't build marching walls, or all that money and material is given to the next team over]
    Knights, I fucking hate how latency allows people to slash-stab, when you can't do it in places like Offline/Solo's Challenge and Princess Mode. It feels pretty disconcerting.
    [Knights are weird, that's pretty much their story, and the whole ping-delay makes combat surreal. ]

4. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Oy. Take all bitching not related to differences between classes in terms of money & K:D to the appropriate place. :huh?:

5. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

I think that the thing about the Knight class is that its for people who are good and/or want to get all the kills. That's OK, because Knights should make up the backbone of every team anyway. However, if you want to play Archer or Builder, you should remember that those two classes are support classes and are meant to help the Knights in their conquest of the enemy team. Well, that's how I think it should be, anyway.

MadDog likes this.
  6. Sheip

Sheip Catapult Fodder

Agreed. Personally I think that killing someone as an archer should give you more gold.

I found that the best way to get gold as an archer is to simply spam my 3 shots into ongoing knight fights and picking off other archers.

7. fubz

fubz Builder Stabber

In my opinion the archer is at a good spot, I could argue for a slight increase in power, say 1.5 hearts per hit. But here is my argument on their power or use as it is.

While Archer is not going to get a player to the top of the kill chart, I do not think Archer should be a class that most of the team should be spending the most of their time playing. As has been stated, Archers lack of ability to generate coin encourages switching to Builder or Knight to fill in the gap. The other classes' role is of much greater value than the archers utility.

The gold one can make in a few short minutes entices Archer's to occasionally to patch up a wall as Builder or curb stomp some enemies on the battlefield as Knight. That extra gold will buy one an additional bomb or fire arrow that will wreak havoc on the enemies base.

Strictly from CTF experience:
    An Archers ability to quickly swing into an enemies base, blast two bomb arrows into the weak point of the wall for a quick flag cap, start a fire to cause panic and confusion, and even buy and drop mines behind enemy bases gives the Archer some perks that are unmatched by any other class. The Archer can do all of that in one run which would result in a much greater net gain of control for their team than murdering a dozen incoming enemies approaching their teams wall while they are perched in a snipers nest.

While I do agree that Archers are underpowered I am very weary about adding 'killing machine' to the large list of things that Archers are good at. Right now each class fills their role very well in the games class symbiotic relationship. However, if Archers did get a killing power adjustment I have one thing to say.... Builders need their 1 hit hammer smash again as well :rekt:

SlyStalker likes this.
  8. JerseyMilker

JerseyMilker Catapult Fodder

Hey is this same fubz I know? Anyway, I agree. If archer becomes "killing machine", then builder should become "killing machine" too!

This game is not all about K/D!!! You should choose your class based on what's needed at the time. Knight is going to get lots of kills because knight has sword. Builder is not going to get kills because pickaxe. Archer is support, and can get some kills... though archer has other strengths as fubz mentioned.

Also, if a team goes mass builder for the whole match, they are screwed. If a team goes mass knight, they are screwed. If a team goes mass archer, they are screwed. A good team benefits from a good balance :D

9. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

Actually, I think if one person in a team goes builder and everybody else goes knight they would probably crush the enemy team.

10. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

Or your team could get curbstomped due to the other team because they have a mixture of knights, archers, and builders working together.

Apronymous likes this.
  11. JerseyMilker

JerseyMilker Catapult Fodder

I agree, that was my point also :) A proper class mixture with good teamwork will outperform any team massing one class.

12. Vania

Vania Shopkeep Stealer

I seriously doubt it. One battle builder and a mass of knights will probably destroy anything in its path, just rush and win in the first couple of minutes.

Klokinator likes this.
  13. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I've seen firsthand what a coordinated builder + knight rush can accomplish. A builder + knight rush with some archers might be okay too, but the archers won't accomplish as much as the knights unless they have bomb arrows. (Read: plural).

14. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester

I've seen 10 man rushes with builders and knights get dropped by one or two competent knights. I'd prefer a builders / archers moving up, actively blocking paths and shit, than a team that's 10 knights and one builder. Once you lose that forward rush advantage, see what happens once you have only one builder who might or might not be adding defenses or repairing your base.

15. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester

even though this is off topic, one of the best strategies in KAG IMO is to have one or two really good knights continuously rush, distract their team, kill the main force of enemies, and take ground. A second wave of people holds that ground and fortifies it as builders, and knights help them hold off any stragglers, so the builders can provide cover. Then archers stay just behind the first wave of really good knights and assist them in kicking red ass.

Piano likes this.
  16. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

You realize I was referring to a team of competant rushing knights, right? Obviously ten rushing noobs will accomplish little or nothing, but a team of knights protecting a builder and doing it right can get shit done. Of course 1 Yagger = ten knights so you can use a transfer ratio if that makes the math easier.

17. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Actually Yagger (maybe unintentionally) brings up an interesting point. On the right map in the right situation on a public server with average very day scrubbies, having a few archers on your team is actually not bad. If battles are really clumping up in the center, even bad archers could output fairly decent DPS just spamming arrows into the crowd. Nowhere close to what a good knight would accomplish but for lower skilled players archer is not necessarily an inferior pick.

Maybe we shouldn't be looking to buff archer in general but rather focus on the ability of skilled players to take it to that next level.

18. Nighthawk

Nighthawk gaurenteed shitter

My suggestion to give those really skilled Archers a greater chance of surviving is to add a dodge maneuver.

Press a button, and you jump/dash in the direction your cursor is pointing, becoming immune to damage for a split second. If your timing is absolutely spot on, this would allow you to avoid certain death by a Knight's slash. Should have a decently large cooldown, but it would enable people with awesome timing to, you know - not die when Knights start to get near.

19. SlyStalker

SlyStalker Shopkeep Stealer

The cooldown for that ability would have to be quite long.

Piano likes this.
  20. Rocinante

Rocinante Ballista Bolt Thrower