1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Other Sumo From Classic

Discussion in 'Modding [KAG]' started by Duplolas, Nov 8, 2013.

1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Anyone know if someone is working on bringing back the chaotic but oh so great Sumo gamemode from Classic to the Beta?

It is one of my favorite game modes ever. Beta needs this gamemode so much.

PUNK123 likes this.
  2. Boea

Boea Such Beta

You'd probably have to screw with collision physics, knight physics, and bomb physics.
    The rest is probably making invulnerable spikes.

3. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Im curious as to how easy this would be to do. I have a good coder friend who might be open to making it depending upon how easy it would be.

4. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I never played Sumo, what was actually involved?

16th likes this.
  5. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Pretty much Bombs had incredibly ramped up power, and knights had about 100 Hearts.
    The maps were mainly built out of Alpha Bedrock, with spikes everywhere, and gold wherever a knight could collapse something by hand.
    [Getting launched across the map was a normal thing, it's a lot like catapulting with a chicken, nowadays]

The point was to try to insta/impulse gib the enemy players, or team, either by: sending them flying and causing them to gib from impact; land on someone hard enough to gib; knock someone off the map, or crushing them with portions of the map.

It was pretty much the way people learned how to kite, bomb jump, do controlled demolition, and bash each other off ledges.
    One of the hilarious things is that I think this was also the basis for what would constitute the challenge maps of the time... eg, run through a course to break the support block.

Though I suppose, the best way to get a taste for these maps is to find one of servers on the Alpha server list... I hope someone keeps them up.

inactive_account likes this.
  6. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

There was a server during early Beta that worked a lot like sumo, sadly it vanished after a few updates.

I think it was called Super Smash Knights or something? Bit different from Sumo but had amazingly fun physics of throwing people around.

7. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

Basically, sumo was a mode where knock back was insane, so slashes turned people into ping pongs shot from a gun. Also since spikes had slight knockback, the edges of the map where spiked, so you bounced off em. Fall damage was also sever. After falling about 5 blocks, it was about 100 hearts of damage. And knights had 100 hearts.

8. Boea

Boea Such Beta

We need someone to make Alpha Bedrom so we can get the whole bs experience of sumo.

9. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Well that sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to make then. Go for it.

10. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Ill post a compilation of the videos I have recorded over the year or so I played it.

Maybe even throw in some funny music.

Edit:

Found someone else already did one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpUqeLWdbz4

Skip to 2:48, 3:54, 5:00 for some laughs

1:05 will give you a general feel for how it works, plus a good laugh at the end.

You have the most fun when you play with friends. At the end of the year, last year, I got 16 of my classmates in my Auto CAD class to all play sumo at once. Plus, the server filled up ever more on top of that. The server had 64 SLOTS! That was the most I have ever seen on the server (like 42).

It is worth hoping on classic some time to check it out. Message me sometime. I can teach the ins and outs. I was the sumo master :B):.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  11. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Bug Chrispin; he made a mod like this earlier on in beta.

12. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

Yea I'm currently working on a mod very similar to this. I think I'm renaming it to Super Smash Bros. Gold, but same exact thing as my older mod before it got broken due to updates. The key difference between Sumo and SSBG is the fact that knockback is based on the damage percentage of your character, so it can eventually ramp up to ludicrously high knockback that will send you into space. I reworked knight combat a little bit to give it more of a SSB feel, but it has a lot more work that needs to be done on it. I added some sounds from Melee too which are a lot less annoying than some of the default KAG sounds.

Sorry for the unsynced audio.

My next project is to make an entity that autokills players when they hit the edge of the map. Anyway I'm busy with school but I try to work on it every chance I get. Sinitreo might help out with the mod some, but if you're interested in helping give me a PM!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
    Contrary, illu, Rocinante and 4 others like this.
  13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

This is absolutely amazing. If you need a tester, im your guy!

14. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

Holy moly, Smashknights! I haven't seen this mod in AGES!

15. illu

illu En Garde! Donator Tester

That map! That music! That gravity! Really awesome, Chrispin. 25252525

16. Omen267901

Omen267901 Shopkeep Stealer

It was very fun. I played a bit of it.

17. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Hey @Chrispin

Just wanted to check in to see how your mod was going! Is there an ETA for it yet 25252525

18. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

Sorry @Duplolas, unfortunately there hasn't been much work done on the mod since the video :/

There were a few changes I made including a kick-ass new SSB style slash for knights (smoketrail included!), but college has got my hands tied at the moment. I even have two more exams coming up next week; thermodynamics Monday and a materials test on Tuesday. Yea fuck college, but at least I'll have some time after I get into Thanksgiving break!

19. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

It is called "The Bagel Mansion" back then... still is.
    It is owned by Marcoroni. I'm admin there, still am apparently... I'd love it if I'm admin in this new server as well. It's been a long long time since I've been in that server... a very very long time...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  20. this is absolutely fantastic chrispin and i demand a full SMB mod with all the maps and characters

jerloch likes this.