1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Clan wars on Beta - Competitive aspect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpideY, Nov 14, 2013.

1. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Hi guys. We did already some fun clan wars on KAG Classic and we are trying now to schedule some clan wars on KAG Beta.

I would like to know your opinion about rules during these matches on Beta.

My thoughts :

• A small map (CTF ofc)
    • no water
    • 5vs5
    • Everyone can be builder during building phase (something like 45 secs)
    • Everyone can change his class during the match
    • Bo3

butterscotch likes this.
  2. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Competitive scene is a kind of dead, try convincing Steam players to create clans and get the ball rolling again, I'm sure they're up for it.

3. SpideY

SpideY Hear Me Roar Staff Alumni Donator

Yep but im talking about rules for the moment ;)

• Small map yep, just need generators script back!
    • Why no water? This is cool for boats and extinguish fire.
    • 5vs5 (or maybe 6v6) : 1 Archer (or 2), 3 Knight and 1 Builder.
    • 45 sec, everyone builder or 90 sec one builder with cheap empty shop.
    • Lock class is better for good combo, strategy, and more fair.
    • Bo3

4. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Why should we have a standard ruleset? It can always be discussed beforehand. If the clans just want a quick scrim, you can say "classic rules but classes aren't locked down".

5. RogueCupcake

RogueCupcake Haxor Official Server Admin

I think 6v6: 1 archer, 3 knights and 2 builders. Builders are necessary in KAG unlike classic. There is always situations when needed now.

6. WanderMark

WanderMark :) Donator

I'm not overly familiar with how the beta works, so I'll ask this here; without tickets, what prevents the games from turning into a horrible stalemate?

BlueLuigi likes this.
  7. RogueCupcake

Nothing. I don't like that it has no tickets. I played a game that went on for at least a couple of hours! That is one thing if I could add something, I would add.
    Solution: Server hosts add a timer to the game. I know on Classic Kaizokuroof added a 60 minute timer which was wonderful because it would turn into a camp war otherwise! This would shorten games a whole lot and let players experience different maps!

8. Hawxx

Hawxx Bison Rider

Once I joined a Beta server in like build 600-700 and it had tickets. You can probably mod it in ::):

9. RogueCupcake

There are mods to do with it. Kaizo's servers had a mod that he made himself with the help of some friends and it stopped the stalemate but it was taken out because "it ruined the game, devs didn't put it in because it wasn't good" according to some members of the community.

10. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

Waiting some clan wars very much. Here the mod

here the mod: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lezb85pv7bn00ca/gm_Tournament_CTF_v1.0.zip

1. You can change class only by commands: !knight, !archer, !builder. ONLY

2. Also, admins has 2 special commands:
    a) "/m <message>", this message will be displayed at top screen for all players, you may write who vs who play today (or maybe name of tournament)
    b) "/start", by this command there will be displayed a window at middle of screen with message (Official match will start: (and here timer for 10 seconds)) and then restart. By this feature everyone finally will understand that round began.

3. !help command that will remember you all commands =)

4. tickets (can change they amount in CTF.as file)

5. initial resource (you will get resource only once at start)

6. Balancing features:
    a) every new player that join server will join spectator team
    b) save the team combination
    c) there is no more balance (so, you easily can play 1 vs 10)

7. prices and etc.

Digger101, Hawxx, 16th and 2 others like this.
  11. RogueCupcake

That is a good mod and I think it would add to the aspect of Clan Wars on KAG.

12. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

Nothing really. CTF = the old Action server now. It's the wild west and it's messy. Now you just push and zerg and push and zerg until people get tired of a 2 hour stalemate. At some point it just comes down to who can stay logged in longer. I believe it's a huge step back from the more tactical quality that was cultivated due to the fear of permanent death.

This won't be competitive until CTF has a life counter. Dying has to mean something.

I also fear it gives new players a less stellar impression of Kag when competitive CTF in Alpha was the standard and had such a huge impact on the community.

Edit: I was going to post this up on Contrary's wall, but Its over 400 characters so I'll leave it here.

"Classic endgame was exciting and the standard for the competitive scene. It made my heart race more times then I can count. I've literally gotten adrenaline dumps from classic, maybe even heart arrhythmia's.
    I remember 1 v 1 duels with everything riding on the outcome. Knowing that if you die, it's all over, you don't get another chance. You had one shot. You either rose to the occasion or you blew it.

Your teams carried off the field in body bags like disgraced prize fighters or euphoric in glorious, delicious victory. The build up of excitement, the crescendo and those last few moments of utter terror and blood lust, knowing you can't let your comrades down. Maybe its 1 v 1. Maybe its 5 v 1. No matter what happens, everyone loses there minds in the end, like when Ali knocked out Joe Frasier.

Man my heart use to race so fast. Now after 2 hours on the same map, I think 'lets just get this over with'. It's the main reason you see all these new players spamming next map over and over. They're tired of it. We gotta bring this feature back."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  13. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

:up:you may edit that client for some and get just a CTF with just a tickets (just saying)

14. Vidar

Vidar KAG Guard Donator Tester

Thank you nkChehov I was not aware. I suppose I had hoped it would be an inherent feature. If that's the case I don't understand why I can't find any populated servers with tickets. I can't believe almost every server would opt out of it, since it was so popular for years.

16th likes this.
  15. GreenRock

GreenRock Base Burner

This is the only reason I go back to classic. The dead teams cheering on the 1v1s because both of their life counters are depleted. I'm sure this can be easily added in as a mod; in fact, I'll have a peek in the code to see what I can do (probably nothing since I've never modded before) cause this is so important to ctf.

If the teams have 1 flag on opposite ends of a flat map with just archer and knight workshops available, it could work in beta.

16. classic with tickets was fucking bullshit, endless camping fights between minecrafting niggers who farmed 500 bombs and waited for enemies to try to win and die because of bomb spam from a tower (hi vidar) and people who played archer for entire game and healed after every hit to NOT DIE OMG EVERY DEAHT COUNTS I BETTER NOT LEAVE THE TOWER

competitive classic was about the same

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    Hawxx, Vidar and JoshTG like this.
  17. Chowderman

Chowderman Catapult Fodder

I, alas, am one of the new players from steam and I think clan battles would be sick! 25252525

18. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Eh, lock the builder class at \0 tickets\, and teleport back to base.

Brutal, but it'll get you to stop crying.

19. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

On the one hand, tickets did lead to some of the best experiences I've had in KAG- last stands and brilliant comebacks. On the other hand it lead to some of the worst experiences I've had in KAG, archers spamming forever, Vidar dropping endless bombs on me.

But I would really like to see them tried again, a lot of what made them kinda broken before has been nerfed.

Vidar and master4523 like this.