1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Clan wars on Beta - Competitive aspect

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SpideY, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

I see what you mean, personally i dont think tickets would cause camping, Beta is much more aggressive than classic. No matter how hard you camp, its going to be hard to stop a keg rush. or double jumpers, or a guarded cata.

2. Verrazano

Verrazano Flat Chested Haggy Old Souless Witchy Witch Witch THD Team Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. Practitioners of War Extreme Revolution - POWER

I do see what you mean especially once siege equipment is in place buildings don't last very long in beta.

3. JoshTG

Exactly, with knights being able to double jump, or jump with kegs, or gaurd a cata, campers wont stand a chance.

4. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

Coinfarming and bombspam are also much less effective, making defensive knight stands less overpowered.

Honestly, I know some people like to turn their noses up at it, but I had an absolute blast playing ArL and Gather matches, which were rife with camping. The only people who didn't seem to enjoy those were the ones who got pathetically aggressive (naming no names) about their teammates ability levels. I and many others had a great time even with all the flaws there.

Given all the reasons that people have listed for beta being less camp-conducive, I can hardly see that as a valid reason to not bother trying to set up something similar for beta.

There is also plenty of time for an evolution of the ruleset. If something doesn't seem to be working, it can be changed as we go. Healthy speculation about the best rulesets is one thing, but shitting over the whole idea is hardly going to make for good competitive matches.

tl;dr: don't try overly hard to force anti-camping measures which may have further effects on the gameplay until we even have a chance to see just how necessary they are in a proper competitive environment.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Rubixxcube, Kalikst, 16th and 6 others like this.
  5. nkChehov

nkChehov Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. PumpkinStars - [Pk#] - Inactive

So, meet first try at server: [Modern Zone] <Tickets CTF>

• Builder cant get money from building (from camping)
    • Receive tickets for capturing the flag (motivation for push)

Digger101 likes this.
  6. Where do I begin? Well, probably from the beginning. So I have read this thread almost thoroughly and while playing CTF on KAG 1.0 I have come up with some idea that seems to me brilliant in my narcisstic amusement, and the more I think of the better it looks. But it needs to be confronted with the reality and your opinion to see whether it really is so brilliant and worth time.

The starting point in my deliberations was KAG Gather project and a game mode that would fit it in reality of KAG 1.0. Earlier we used to use slightly modified ArL rules and at our peak moment we played matches almost entire day, hour by hour with playerbase from Europe, Australia and America. But at the moment when focus was shifted to KAG Beta it simply died and since ArL isn't a thing anymore and its rules don't match beta CTF at all and we can't use them anymore Gather eventually sank into oblivion.

The game mode idea is very simple. I guess and hope that people who miss RTDM would back me here a little as well as soldatfags.
    I do know that some of you have heard and maybe even played Soldat and Soldat Gather from which KAG Gather originated. And maybe some of you do remember a server in KAG Classic hosted by HardPenguin called Rapid CTF. My idea is simply a synthesis of these two. I'd like to see competetive game mode that would consist of the best things that offered Soldat Gather, RTDM and Rapid CTF since we got so many modding possibilites and community lacks of competetive mode. It would be simple, easy and what seems to be most important trait considering it would be Gather format: relatively fast. Here's the gist of rules:
    • Multiple flag caps (i.e. 2 or 3) while having one flag spot where flag would respawn after it's captured by enemy team.
    • Slightly decreased time of returning stolen flag.
    • 5v5 - with preferably locked classes - 3 knights, 1 archer, 1 builder.
    • Modded-in tickets.
    • Time limit.
    • Short build time - around 60 seconds.
    That would be the most important part.

Why would it be fast and good? Generally the entire gameplay of Beta seems to be faster and encouraging rush. But besides as I see it - builders aren't anymore as versatile as they used to be in Classic and the building style has changed very much in Beta. I don't think it would be that easy to camp as it was in Classic. The knights are now very strong class and exciting to play. Can't think of anymore pros not to mention cons, but as I said I like the idea very much not just because it's mine but it seems to have the best traits of forementioned Soldat Gather which was very successful and probably is still going on (since 2005) at the moment when I write this, even though its community is dying so as game.

I just wanted to add at the end that I'm not really up to date with what's going on right now in community - speaking specifically about Contrary's project Clash of Sundred Kingdoms. Unfortunately I haven't seen any match because I was (and kind of still am) retired from KAG due to university. So this might not look as bright as I thought it would and as it does for me.

And by the way - it's just the gist and I'm open for any suggestions/modifications and possible help with testing it.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

Preferably, I would like 100 seconds build time, since knights can wall run and 10 tile slash jump, it would give the team longer to build something that wouldn't let them just instantly jump over their tower, and / or bombjump over their tiny tower.

Also, i'm totally up with this, I mostly agree with everything you said above, it would be interesting to see the gameplay with the timer and tickets. Also, I can make as much maps as you can for this is needed.

8. Fellere825

Fellere825 KAG Guard Tester

Limited resources make minecrafting alot harder than classic. Do you see giant structures that aren't reduced to nothingness from catapults, bomb ballista, fire arrows, and kegs? Most game's bases go bye bye and it's a giant fight among ruins. Yeah the tickets were a campers wet dream in classic but in beta you can't camp... Because JTG or FBB will fucking roll up in a bomb ballista and spam the shit out of you while farming coins from the kills and buying an endless supply of ballistas and bolts...

All in all why not give it a try again? Betas different now it can be a good thing now. All you have to do is test it to see once and for all if its good or not.

Juaro and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.
  9. JoshTG

Tldr: nerf bomb balista

Getting one of these bad boys wins the game almost instantly

10. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

11. Rubixxcube

Rubixxcube Bison Rider

THIS. It's like having a supercharged mounted bow. You run up, you take 5 seconds to unpack, you pop off the wheels, and you start shooting bolts that do as much damage as an archer bomb arrow, except you can't just slash it to end it. Aaaand THEN more knights spawn from it. Even if it gets capped by the enemy, only a builder can destroy a team ballista, so you can just go back and recap it, since it's almost useless to the other team due to not being able to be turned around.

But that's off topic. I'll take my leave.

12. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Butbutbut... Ma ballista spam... :QQ:

meanies

Mazey and Rubixxcube like this.
  13. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Tickets really should be an option on servers. Builders don't get money from minecrafting anymore, and your number of deaths would actually mean something, rather than just being able to compare dick sizes.

Oh and sorry FBB, but we don't want your bomb ballista spam around here.

14. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Unless on same team.

Kalikst, I think there should be a time limit to flag capping... because two teams both having the flag standing by the tent.. (Which happened in an house match). Just isn't that fun.... and the epitome of camping within KAG Beta.

15. FuzzyBlueBaron

FuzzyBlueBaron Warm, Caring, Benign, Good and Kind Philanthrope Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

It's hella intense though, speaking as someone who was in said house match. 78787878

16. Boea

Boea Such Beta

It only takes one spawning knight to kill everyone straddling the too-close bunker.

17. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Changing classes during a round is very kaggish and I wouldn't lock them.
    I'm looking forward to reading news about this. ArL rules were not my thing, but Beta is much different.

FuzzyBlueBaron likes this.
  18. FuzzyBlueBaron

Also, locking the classes discriminates against all-rounders who's strength lies in being able to play whatever's needed when it's needed without sucking terribly. :huh?:

8x likes this.
  19. Boea

Boea Such Beta

I'm a Knight-Builder. I'm pretty binary when it comes to the constructor, and combat classes.

20. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

Guys, you can call me an all-rounder from now.