1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer changes general

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Landoo2, Oct 31, 2013.

?

should there be arrows that do more damage then just 1 heart?

1. yes, but they should cost much

15 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. yes, because 4 arrows are too much to kill a knight

38 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. no, because archers are already overpowered

28 vote(s)
    28.0%
  4. no, because ..... (post your reason in the thred pls)

19 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I might actually jump on in a moment and see how well it plays! I was hoping someone would set up a testing server like that!

Also yeah, the big reason I want these things tested is because if they aren't we will repeat the past. Part of the reason archers are so underpowered is because the community shouted out that they were too OP, and then they were debuffed and knights were buffed not more than a few days after...not nearly enough time to test if the changes would be balanced. This also applies to why I don't want too many changes at once/too extreme of changes at once...

hierbo likes this.
  2. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Guess what server I'll be playing on tomorrow?

Edit: Shit I hate TTH. Pleaaase make a CTF version XD

If this were the -only- thing that was added, and nothing else, I'd be happy. A legolas shot into a straight wall would allow my allies to ascend to victory and would make my presence as an archer without special arrows actually useful in the early-to-mid game.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I was asked what my opinion on archer was:

Mixed, generally pessimistic about changes.

The way I play the game (change classes as needed), there's no issue - if I need to defend the walls, I'll go knight, if they need repairing, I'll build, if I need to kill vehicles or break doors from afar, I'll go archer, if we have no field archers, I'll go archer; otherwise I'll knight and push forward.

I generally maintain between 1.5 and 3 kdr this way, never starve for coins, and a team with a group of people playing like this generally does quite well (eg some SHARKS on mumble get on a server and stack a team). I would consider myself a significantly above average player.

Part of the issue in my eyes is that most people don't play like this, they play one class the whole game and want to be able to do everything as that class, ideally they want to be independent of their team, maintain a high kdr, be able to play support and offense at the same time and so on.

I think that archer could use a bit more damage output (1.5h) when getting in close; but I also think that it's somewhat counter-intuitive to push the CQC side too much.

I think that the special arrows are actually probably too easily spammable for a good archer, but too inaccessible for a bad one. The compromise that we have works well enough.

I've been pondering the affect of increasing everyone's HP by at least x2 and tweaking the damage of military classes. This would give archers some longevity but knights more - there'd be no one hit kills in knight combat and bombs would be less of a death sentence for archers and builders.

...Issue is that these aren't really changes we can make across the board, but need to be tested with a large crowd of at least 50% pubs. That means we can't test them using the testers, but we can't push them public either. I'd like to see the effect on a single modded server; but at the moment they aren't visible to public players, so its a vicious cycle.

In general, I actually think archer is in a pretty good place. It's fast, able to get into and sap the hell out of bases if you take the right items (mines work well in pub games, bomb arrows can kill multiple shops easily) and able to provide very important support in normal combat. Raw damage output is markedly low and the RNG for normal shots means sniping is a literal gamble and those are the only things I feel decidedly iffy on.

Knight is, of course, much easier to play. I'm not sure what we can do about johny98's shitty aim and inability to get out of the way of an incoming knight though.

Note: I'll be removing the RNG on non-legolas shots today, not sure when the patch will be.

4. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

@Geti

Why not do a modded, official, KAG Server. One for the US and one for EU. Though, implement a whitelist so only those who apply, in a looser than the current tester application process, can get in.

For example,

I would love to help test out new versions of the game before they are released. But I have really no knowledge of anything to do with coding. A little C++/C#/C is all I have; really not enough to apply and become a tester.

But for these hypothetical patches, those that the community has come up with, and can only be tested, like you said with, "at least 50% pubs", would be able to be tested by a broader range of players. It would be like kind of implementing a hidden beta within the finished game. One that is known by those who are active in the KAG community, but not to those who just play the game casually. People like me would be able to help test, a.k.a. a slightly above average player.

5. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I am very much on board with experimentation to find a happy balance of the classes, as I can't help but feel that the balance is lacking in some areas at the moment. I don't claim to have all the answers about how to fix it, but I'm a big believer in verification through experimentation.

As such, I'd love to volunteer my servers to the cause. I believe I can host up to 4 16 player servers without any server side lag, so feel free to approach me about this in the event that you're looking for a test bed for these changes. I'm happy to offer my support and input on the matter, though that is not a condition of the use of my servers; I just want to help and see this game be the most fun it can be.

Thanks!

Aeynia, Kriegson, Crabmaster and 2 others like this.
  6. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

At this point it appears we need to fix the issue of the public not seeing modded servers before we can move forward with even testing these changes...That or we need to figure out a good way to schedule times for people to get on and fill it up.

I think I said on another topic that when I went on Hierbo's mod testing server the other day I was there almost 2 hours and only 6 people logged in, 5 left the minute they logged in because it was empty besides me...>.>

hierbo likes this.
  7. Scynix

Scynix Catapult Fodder

@Geti, I actually do play that way- though most of the time I end up being a builder due to the vast majority of builders seem to think if they build a big enough tower on Hall 1, they win the game.

I can't think of a single time I thought to myself: "My team needs an archer!". There are elaborate scenarios where an archer would be helpful- but I can't say any more helpful than a knight with a keg. And the knight has a significantly better chance of surviving the ginsu blade zerg storm of knights that is generally occurring. Archers can back door, but decent builders can make that really, really hard- and I don't really want someone on my team who is wasting 10 minutes trying to make a dent on a properly built tower.

For strength and functionality of class versus time consumed, survivability and presence of power on field, knights are usually (if not always ) better.

I see people make the excuse "the community needs more experience for archers to be better", but this is a double edged sword. The people who farm kills as an archer are killing inexperienced players. Archers are great ninjas when the enemy team doesn't know what they're doing. Archers are great killers against knights that haven't learned how to block well yet. All these things are resolved with time. Archers cannot be pidgeonholed into the newb hunters or they will, inevitably be completely useless.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
    Aeynia, hierbo, Klokinator and 2 others like this.
  8. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

^Agree.

I would say Archers really only have one actual use, and that's burning down wooden buildings. When the game gets to mid-late game status or later and stone has run out, archer's are fucking valuable as hell. NICE WOOD BUILDING YOU GOT THERE. DON'T MIND IF I BURN IT TO THE GROUND! Bomb arrows are good for precision block destruction, but I often am the only archer actually using them on my team, and at this point I question if normal arrows should even be ingame. They're negated by shields, do piddly piss for damage, and don't hurt structures hardly at all. Against siege engines they're good (Need to be a little better imo) but that's... it really.

At least you're removing rng for arrows. That should help a tiny bit. Also I'll totally play on whatever modded server you set up. But only if it's CTF.

9. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

I also switch to whatever class is needed the most. But as it turns out, that class is always knight.

10. thats because tth is broken, not because archer is weak

11. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I think a better analogy is that TTH is boring and terrible and so is the archer.

12. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

I disagree, I quite like TTH. Then again, I was a Capture Point junkie when I played TF2.

On the topic of the changes, I'm definitely happy to help test them. Just point me to a server with the changes and I'll jump on when I have the time.

EDIT: Removal of RNG shots today? I can't explain how happy that makes me.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  13. Superblackcat

Superblackcat baideist baide Staff Alumni Tester

Why won't you remove RNG on legolas :(

14. Aeynia

I think you misread that, Super :P

15. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

IMO TTH is by far the superior gamemode. I don't even play CTF unless there are no viable TTH servers for me to play on. And in fact I think the potential for archer is much greater in TTH. Just the other day I played a guy that devoted the better part of two bases to bomb arrow factories. His knights were crippled and they were lacking in support via other tech, but I'll have to admit archers were actually threatening.

I think a couple good suicide keggers using only a few factories can be just as destructive (and as hard to stop if you have catapult support) but still, interesting to see.

@hierbo pls dont remove hierbo TTH 2 that's where I play 90% of the time.

Scynix and Rocinante like this.
  16. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Doubling the health? I fear that would ruin the fast paced combat that knight game play has gained since alpha. Although I guess it might fix the issue of good knights taking on 3+ newbies at once, and coming out unscathed.

17. Aeynia

I think the unscathed part is more an issue with the 100% drop rate on hearts, which do benefit a knight way more than an archer.

Scynix and hierbo like this.
  18. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

The current mod on my modded servers is exclusively a change to the heart drop rate. I currently have it set so hearts drop 1/4 of the time only.

Crabmaster likes this.
  19. One

One I got 99 problems and my name is One Donator Tester

Exactly. Having 8 hp instead of 4 lowers the overall value of a heart.
    And since newbies survive longer in combat then two slashes the good knight is more likely to take damage.

20. Aeynia

Mhm, I played on one of those servers and found it really refreshing that a knight wasn't able to camp forever because someone died to him.