1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[947][Gen] A question regarding drills

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Raelian, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Does mining with a drill give less stone?

Every time I start a new CTF map I build a workshop, craft a drill and start mining as much stone as possible but this time I got told by someone else that I was wasting stone since drills appear to give less stone when mining with them. I honestly wasn't aware of this since I've never stumbled upon such information before (wiki wasn't helpful) and it never felt like I received less stone.

So I'm asking the community if someone can confirm this... do we really get less stone when using a drill? If we do, can anyone tell me the exact number? I'm very curios.

2. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

No, I don't think.

3. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Yep, drills do give 50% less stone than your pickaxe does.

BlueLuigi likes this.
  4. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

Wow, well that's a handful.

I first thought that people were talking about the cost of the drill being a waste.

Thanks for clearing this up!

5. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Thanks for the information. Guess I'll have to start using the drill only when time is of the essence and I don't have time to gather stone only by mining pick.

Bernhardt likes this.
  6. Kriegson

Kriegson Catapult Fodder

When possible, I always try to build shop and grab a drill right off the bat (CTF) on maps with water. Water cooled drill= infinidrill for some quick terraforming and gathering of rock otherwise dangerous and time consuming to mine.

7. JTG

JTG Bison Rider Tester

drill that gold it gives you gold

8. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Actually, good point. Does the 50% less gain apply to gold aswell? Or you only get 50% less when mining only stone with the drill?

9. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Should drills really give you 50% less. I mean, I think there should be some % less, but not 50%. I have noticed this before, and it annoys me on low resource maps. I see 4 builders grab drills and just take all of the resources at spawn. It leaves our base without easily accessible resources late game and becomes a huge problem for me and any other late game builders.

10. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Drills still overheat in water, dig slower in water, and compared to other builds, cool a lot slower in water.
    The only time they don't overheat is when mining stone or gold.

As far as anything, I think Drills are bad purchases, even if you use them for building cracking.

11. I find them extraordinarily useful. Sure, you lose out on 50% of the stone gathered, but you're often gathering three or four blocks at once, for an overall net gain per time spent. They're good late game, but bad early game.

12. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Ever since I found out that they only give 50% less resources I've only used drills when I need stone ASAP (hall or flag room got breached and I need materials quickly before they get inside). Otherwise I just refrain from using them.

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Also, honestly, why does everyone need to make drills?
    That's just, by far, that largest issue with them. You honestly can't stockpile them in any reasonable manner, and if they are left around, they are going straight to the front line to be donated or destroyed.

14. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

I grab a drill as an Archer to bust a stone wall and just generally harass the enemy.

15. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

Im so sick of a whole team of ignorant ar tard builders making 8 drills right away then mining around 1000 stone right off the start of the game

You spend fucking 800 stone aswell as waste 500 stone

16. Raelian

Raelian Bison Rider

Then simply tell them why it's a bad idea to do that. Not everyone is aware that the drill only gives 50% resources. Hells, I barely found that out a week ago when someone ~finally~ told me the downsides and even then I tried checking the wiki (which didn't help jack) for confirmation and finally asking on the forum before getting a clear answer.

Perhaps if old players might point out such things there wouldn't be so many ignorant players.

17. Boea

Boea Such Beta

We've stopped caring.

18. Aeynia

Aeynia Obligatory Mute Girl Donator

That's an unhealthy attitude to have. Helping new players will make them more likely to stick around and get better at the game.

Sir_Walter and hierbo like this.
  19. Boea

Boea Such Beta

A lot of them are at average skill, and better.
    And it really does seem like the veterans forgot the exact reason.

20. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

Also, you can't really speak for all old players.