1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

a Key to lock grapple hook length when held

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by 8x, Nov 23, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

This will mean those Tarzan swings when moving with the grappling hook would have a very precise circular path.
    Also this would bring a kind of swing ride when locked, balancing yourself from left to right to gain speed.

The problem with this would be how would it react against negative forces. It would bounce in the opposite direction, just like bungee jumping: once the jumper reaches the limit of the rope he gets bounced back.

Starsly likes this.
  2. Warren2997

Warren2997 Shipwright

? I don't get it

3. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

I've found myself hoping for a set length for my rope a couple of times.

Would this suggestion make grappling too complex and how big is the need?

I'll be glad to follow how the discussion progresses.

4. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Rather than a key to lock the grappling hook length I would like to see some sort of mechanized control, what I am picturing is something along the lines of Batman's utility belt. It would allow you to control length at will and be able to make you forcibly ascend or descend.

When the grappling hook was initially released to the public I had very similar thoughts, below I have quoted part of my post relating to grappling hooks (I hope I am not hijacking your thread).
    One minor change that I think would greatly improve the grappling hook as it stands, is to remove tree climbing while it is in use. It is quite annoying to be swinging from tree to tree and lose the majority of your velocity because you pass through a tree.

Sir_Walter and 8x like this.
  5. Bernhardt

Bernhardt Builder Stabber

In your model, would the rope lose its elasticity and therefore the speed boost grappling hook gives to the Archer?

I like your suggestions, I just want to understand better if you would like to turn Archers into precision rock climbers.

These precision tools would obviously slow down the pace of the game a bit for Archers, if they would be to constantly set and adjust their climbing gear.

Do you think this would make them too slow to stay alive? It's the agility that keeps them alive most of the time, not only the ability to stay locked to unreachable locations.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

There would be a baseline velocity for reeling in the spool, the rope itself would have a bit of elasticity which would add to your overall velocity.

In my opinion, regardless of playstyle. The best way to stay alive is to anticipate your enemies and keep a margin of error (extra space) between you and your opponents depending on the situation. Agility plays a large role in keeping you unpredictable which in turn preserves your life, especially in when you are in close proximity to a knight.

As it stands, when grappling on horizontal terrain or moving from tree to tree for speed boosts, you throw your grapple and jump as it lands. The only difference is rather then tapping your up key "W" to jump and help propel you forward and remove friction, you keep your up key "W" pressed. This would not change the functionality of speeding along the ground, it would only give you more control over the length of your rope.

I am trying to keep a balance between speed and control which would allow for multiple play styles.

Granted with any suggestion, without proof of concept it is hard to grasp the nuances that it will bring to the table.

7. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'm with part of your sugestions Skinney. How I see this now is that the developers aren't going to make big changes to the vanilla features. I also would like the grapple hook to be quite different, beggining with the rope not going trhu tiles but using them to gain momentum. The lenght lock idea was a simple tweak instead of a big remodelation, as I was afraid of thinking in technicolour.

If you lock the length of the rope it won't change until you release the key. So, following the example below, if your radius (length of rope let's say) is 3cm, the only movement you can perform with it is a circle. It would have no elasticity when its length is locked. If the length isn't locked it will vary from 3cm to 7cm, making your bounce less controlled.

8. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Just leave the grapple how it is, its perfect.

9. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

Well I wouldn't say its perfect, but once you get used to its quirks, its really fun! There's only one thing I'd like more : the ability to adjust the length after you're hooked somewhere. You could extend it going downwards from a high ledge, to prevent fall damage, or to get more momentum to swing around.

Basically, instead of ''locking'' the rope, you can simply adjust it with up and down keys. They did it in Zelda Wind Waker, and it worked well. That's my 2 cents.

10. epenow

I think that would be a horrible idea, no offense.

11. SamuraiCupcake

SamuraiCupcake Builder Stabber

None taken. Thanks for the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. :rollseyes:

12. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

Nah, the grapple hook is perfect how it is

epenow likes this.
  13. epenow

thx

Mods: Rainbows