1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Path of Exile (ARPG or a "diablo clone")

Discussion in 'Other games' started by dnmr, May 30, 2013.

Mods: BlueLuigi
  1. dnmr

dnmr Ministry of ban Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

There's been a bit of discussion about this game, mostly in the d3 thread, but it feels like it deserves a thread of its own.

It's a game developed by a small studio based in New Zealand, and it's more of a spiritual successor to Diablo 2 than diablo 3 is. Path of Exile went into open beta in the beginning of this year, and they plan a final release in Q3. There's a major patch coming out in June, which is one of the reasons I'm posting about the game right now.

It is also completely free to play.

Official trailer:

Some romanian guy explaining the basics:

Diablo player's guide to PoE: http://en.pathofexilewiki.com/wiki/Diablo_Players_Guide_to_Path_of_Exile

My personal experience:
    I played d3 last year, ragequit, played torchlight and TL2 when it came out, got bored, picked up PoE in January and played my ass off. The game has a lot more depth than d3, and the general feel and even aesthetics that are somewhat close to D2.
    I tried playing some TL2 after havign played PoE for months, didn't quite feel it for multiple reasons. Played d3 again recently, in single player and with a friend, without using stashed items nor AH. On MP5. It was fun for a bit, but felt pretty casual, and then went straight up ridiculous in the second part of hell. PoE just feels a lot more solid in comparison. It has its own downsides for sure, and it will probably feel too complex at first for most people, but that's one of the things that makes it great. There's a lot more depth to it. And the devs are actually trying their best to improve the game for the players. They even post on reddit and forums... I know, right?

TL;DR: if you liked D2 and got disappointed by d3, get this game, it's free: http://www.pathofexile.com/

BlueLuigi, Corundum, Gofio and 5 others like this.
  2. Shadza

Shadza Knightmare Donator

Awesome game. That`s true it`s clone of diablo ^^. I totaly enjoyed playing diablo and i think i`ll enjoy playing also this game.

3. Fate

Fate Studying seashells

It might be a clone of Diablo 2, but that clone has been improved upon, for example the skill tree and flask system. I like them both.
    Unfortunately the game is a bit poorly optimised, too many particle effects flying around for my poor pc to handle.

4. dnmr

Noburu, Gofio and Varion like this.
  5. dnmr

Noburu and Fate like this.
  6. eamono

eamono Arsonist

*me reading*
    blah blah blah "spiritual d2 successor" sounds too much like torchlight I'll pass

wow looks fun I'll have to try it 25252525

7. dnmr

torchlight doesn't come anywhere close

BlueLuigi and Noburu like this.
  8. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

This game is hands down the best "diablo like" game ever, including the Diablos. Also its 100% free-to-play. You have no excuse for not trying it out.

Contrary and dnmr like this.
  9. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Have played cb, played some ob, and am playing now. Currently 78 EK AA EB MoM Scion, having fun playing a lot with Noburu when I get a chance.

If anyone needs any help with some more basic things, ask away :)

10. goodyman8

goodyman8 Bison Rider

Started playing.
    Love how they implemented currency(as identify scrolls on low levels?).
    Too overwhelmed by the skill tree though, especially cause I'm terrible at making builds.

BlueLuigi likes this.
Mods: BlueLuigi