1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[954] Knight proof shops.

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by steve_jobs, Nov 28, 2013.

1. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

[​IMG]
    note: it would actually be better to remove the bottom three layers of the structure, so the builder shop is on the floor. this way, it is harder to collapse.

advantages:
    - knights cannot get to the knight shop
    - is not resource heavy (168 stone, 600 wood)
    - easy to build
    - can be placed almost anywhere.

disadvantages
    -
    idk... you tell me. :wink:

EDIT: to center the workshops, you need to either stand on the edge of the trap block, or place a block in the center.

Guitarman, Gurin, Downburst and 3 others like this.
  2. BC

BC Bison Rider

I like it :)

Here is a cheaper alternative, (it costs less stone and is easier to build):

knight-proof-alternative.jpg

Gurin likes this.
  3. if you want to get into cutting edges, you can have 1 bridge on level instead of 2. just put between those 2 and its actually idiotproof.

ofc you can cut more edges than that but it would require changing entire design

4. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

There is one major flaw with this structure, and that goes into a chapter I just wrote in my builder guide. That flaw is that it's extremely inefficient for those knights who need to rush to the front lines after grabbing bombs. Now they have to climb this tower which takes 3-7 seconds (Longer if mental retardation exists) instead of running to a ground level shop, purchasing bombs, and racing through.

Now, if this were near a front-line tower, I could see it being very useful.

crackwise likes this.
  5. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

you'd be surprised how many kag players can't jump onto one block on their first try. But yeah, those are probably better.

I honestly think the time and resources gained from building the trapdoor model outweighs that tiny flaw.
    A wise kag builder once said: "Being a good builder is all about effectively spending your resources. You have to build using the least amount possible on the right place for the biggest impact."

You can spend all the time and resources to encase your knight workshops in stone, but that's a waste.

I rest my case.
    [​IMG]

6. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

you don't really have to make 3 shops there, or the knight one so tall. The good thing of this is the idea of separating, at least 4/5 tiles imo (check the image below), the shops from the ground. This of course is very weak to explosions, the shops will break easily, but for a fast and temporary shop at mid it might work. On the other hand, and as Klokinator stated, the builder has to make the shops for an as easy as possible use. Climbing to get some bombs or arrows might be ok once, but after 15 times you really begin to get frurstrated. It's something I really haven't seen talked about at forums (sry klokinator havent checked your post), but it's so very important to have a comfortable flow from the tent to the frontlines.

In this image i was able to buy at the first shop, jumped, clicked the coin and once on ground i got the buymenu open. This didn't happen at the second shop.

shops trial.png

Let's see how this responds on real gameplay :chicken:

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I like your shop implementation a lot more, that is both safe, cost-effective, and easy to access. Great work, I'll be sure and add that to my guide.

8. Ninja12

Ninja12 Haxor

To the people who are noting the inconvenience of the jumping involved
    Make a team friendly/enemy hateful staircase/ladder. Simple as that.
    One thing I don't like is how it's such a disposable building. I think if it were possible to reinforce it a little bit, without hindering the intention of it, that would make it more of a permanent tower.

9. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

The point of this is that it's cheap.

10. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I've actually already perfected this technique.

1. Make a 5 tall stone backwall.
    [​IMG]

2. On the 4th tile, put a trap block.
    3. On the 6th tile (Above the backwall) place another trap block.
    [​IMG]

4. Build knight shop.
    [​IMG]

5. Extend the backwall to the left of the 6th trap block by one tile, then leave a 1 tile gap and place another trap tile. It will look like this ingame:
    [​IMG]

What's different about this compared to the other methods in this thread?

1. The shop is a hefty 6+ tiles up, making it nigh-impossible to get to unless there's a high surface nearby a knight can leap up to it from (And even then you need split second reactions to buy anything, though I've seen people do it).
    2. The tiles spread out like this save you resources and allow knights more surface area to climb them.
    3. The last tile at the top gives knights something sturdier to step on so they don't fall off in the middle of buying shit.
    4. The gap between the two top trab blocks are so that if an enemy knight tosses a bomb at your creation, it will have a gap and sides to fall through.

Trust me, it's not getting any better than this, aside from even more backwall.

11. screen-13-12-08-22-14-24.png
    I've actually already perfected this technique in 80 seconds it took me to launch KAG and go sandbox.
    Trust me, it's not getting any better than this, aside from even more backwall.

Donfuy likes this.
  12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

That looks awkward to build considering the middle of the shop. Did you hop up to make it?

13. Crabmaster

Crabmaster Bison Rider
    1. Zen Laboratories

I still say this disign is the only way possible to protect your shops!
    [​IMG]

Jokes about high security aside, I do like some of these designs and might try and use them at some point, it does frustrate me that we need to use odd tricks like this but oh well...whatever works!

14. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

^that is the epitome of awesomeness.

15. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

@Ej yeah wouldnt you need to destroy a block where your head is located to plant the shop there? It seems more effective in that any retard can jump into that catchers mitt instead of slip off like in klok's. i think i prefer kloks simply because you dont have to jump over a tile to continue on your path. the flat platform is more streamlined

16. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

That second trapblock at the head level is for you not to fall when you're jumping to reach the shop.

17. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

whats with the defense rally? im critiquing a design like this section of the forum is meant for. i was in no way demeaning his design by calling it a catchers mitt nor do i care how he reacts to what i say about his design. My opinion is simply that I dont think its as efficient to be forced to jump over an extra block with the trade-off being that its easier to stick your landing on the platform.

18. Kouji

Kouji Cold, Uncaring, Sadistic, Evil and Cruel Meanie Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]
    2. REKINS OF SEAS: Super Crew of Ultimate Havoking 2: Return of King of KAG: Chapter 420blazeit - REKIN

Well emasame here's the thing:
    1.) It costs less stone
    2.) You don't need to jump to that top block to use it the shop, you can just stand in that bottom block and use the shop from there.

Basically that catcher's mitt not only prevent's you from jumping over the block so that's easier to land, it's also providing support for the shop so it doesn't break. As far as building it is concerned, you could just use a wood block for the middle and then destroy it. Wood is ridiculously cheap and renewable.

19. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

didnt notice the 1 less trap block. thats nice. you do need to jump over because assuming you place the mitt in front of your spawn youre going to want to keep moving in that direction. im convinced with the one less trap block though

20. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Love it. I've been using this method in every game (when another builder doesn't beat me to placing a shop). I haven't had a single person complain about it, or say it's hard to get to.