1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Saws

Discussion in 'Balance' started by Contrary, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Idea. Portable Saws. Not like.. the trap level saws, just straight up hand held saw... kinda like this.
    [​IMG]
    It can only be used by builders and builders only. It can also double as a weapon, like the drill. This way, you dont have to suicide on saws or have to go through the trouble of making saw murder traps. :D

2. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

That would be great
    If it would be added , should it make deamge
    on enemys?

3. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Going off what sirpixelot said, having a actual saw like drill item would be great. It could replace the saw trap entirely and use the same mechanics as a drill, but with wood.

You could also go ahead and remove the actual saw trap item and replace it with a spike like trap. On wood and dirt it would constantly be going, damaging both enemies and allies, doing damage over time, rather than a insta kill. Then on stone, have it retract into the ground and only come out with enemies. 3x1 would work great!

4. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Like I said before, use it like a weapon as well as a speedy way to get wood... like the drill. c:

5. JaniKutscher

You cant realy use a drill as a weapon
    it doesent make much demage .

6. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

[​IMG]
    Exhibit A: Drills do in fact make perfect weapons.

Is this proof enough for you, ser Jani? xD

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  7. JaniKutscher

Thanks lord pixelot , i see now :3

8. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Good. Good. *Pat pat*
    Back on topic now... saws can break if used too much... kinda like how drills burn out, difference is that it just breaks and damages ya. o wo

-By the way, changed the gif so it also includes the enemy exploding from drill penetration. :U-

9. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

So wait, because builders are smart and building doors so they don't burn, but keep the enemy out, you want to punish them just because you have trouble getting by it? Sorry Contrary, but KAG doesn't need any more nerfs to the builder class, as their buildings are already pretty useless against any decent knight or archer. Maybe the saw produces wood too fast, but builders should still be able to cut down trees quickly and still get the same amount of wood.

Edit: Lol, didn't see the rest of the posts, oh well, my point is still valid towards Contrary

10. Contrary

Contrary The Audacious Paramount of Explosive Flight Donator Tester

As I've said several times it's not such a problem for me since I can fly everywhere but for the vast majority of players who can't bomb jump + kill everyone it is insurmountable.
    Maybe it's because you don't have very much competitive experience but I know that when it comes down to it, the builder is still at least as strong as the knight in terms of the effect it can have on the game. The presence of even a simple tower has a huge effect on the game, and the mere fact that an archer can, if left entirely alone, grapple over it does not negate its effect.

But this is not the place to discuss class balance, and even if door spam is completely balanced it still deserves to get the boot just because of how stupid it looks (especially to new players!).

11. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

To negate checker board door spam and enforce more hallway-design (making forts look like actual castles), we could simply disable door rotation and require a solid block to be at either above or below the door tile.

Liek dis or dis:
    :castle_wall::blank::castle_wall:
    :door::blank::door:
    :door::blank::castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::blank::door:
    But not liek dis:
    :door::blank::door::blank::door:
    :blank::door::blank::door:
    :door::blank::door::blank::door:

Sirpixelot and Contrary like this.
  12. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Hmm... seems legit... but in many ways not so much o-o
    The reason why door spam exists right now is cause its the cheapest way to keep enemies out... that and the famous stone/wood backwall sandwich. It's a simple pair of Stone buns with wooden patties in the middle. Kinda similar to any Carrier or Cruse Ship with their Airtank things in their hull. If one gets breached, the whole boat is safe.

With the checkerboard of doors, it serves the same purpose... but against players who do not understand the fundamental rules of bombjumping... or the fundimental rules of :boulder: + :door: = :shad:, Will just beat at it for a while... till they suddenly rage internally and complain to the forums... or the devs themselves. Like some people... not gonna say who... but we all know who it is...
    And yes... boulders smacking doors will spawn a Shad xD

Now get back on the topic of Saws.

13. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

Look, it's Sirpixelot asking other people to keep on topic.

Boulders are probably going to get nerfed at one point or another - and the door breaking mechanic is stupid.

Saws are fine where they are - they only need to destruct when a bomb is thrown in.

Crabmaster likes this.
  14. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

:bird:

Now I got that outta the way. xD

What boulders need is a way NOT... to instakill players... maybe a little bit of damage... but not a straight up flattening of ppl... D;

I still like my portable saw idea... its cooler... and less deadly to other players... except the enemy of course... o wo

15. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I came up with a good way to make saws work in my pre-sleep last night. (The time of day where all my best ideas come from.)

Put a saw under a tree, and it continually grinds the tree down when turned on, creating 50 wood/sec until the tree is chopped down. Once the tree is chopped, the saw deactivates. Then you can reactivate it again to start the process over. Even if it gave 700 wood, it would take around 14 seconds instead of less than 2 and would be much more balanced while still being faster than chopping by hand.

Also I love the idea of a hand-saw.

Aeynia likes this.
  16. Sirpixelot

Sirpixelot Base Burner
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Hand-saw ftw

17. SeanAS

SeanAS Meth Addict Donator
    1. Zen - [Zen] - (Invite Only)

Hand saws would be dope as fuck

18. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I think I'm gonna have to go waaaay back to the beginning of the thread and agree with @Contrary on this one, though I would take it a step further. The saw (and also the drill to some extent) is just silly for a number of reasons.

1.) It is one of the number of items that can instakill all characters. In my opinion, most instakill scenarios undermine skill as a factor in determining the victor of a confrontation.

2.) The saw is much larger and presumably much heavier than a character, yet it can be carried and flung as though it were a baseball, making it among the best ranged weapons in the game. Remember this is a full on mill saw we're talking about, if the graphic is to be believed.

3.) A saw of this type cannot exist with the presumed technology available in the game setting. What is spinning the saw? Why can't the same propulsion mechanism be used to propel a tank? I understand that this is just a game, and the setting can bend the rules if it wants, but this seems excessive, and raises all sorts of questions like the ones I mentioned. The drill also is dubious for this same reason.

4.) It is an immense shortcut to gain monumental amounts of wood in short order; amounts that would only reasonably be needed to construct massively expensive constructions, like the "door hells" mentioned earlier. The great expense of doors is meaningless if wood is so easily attainable in infinite amounts.

5.) Both teams hate them (with the exception of the builder that made them), regardless of whose team owns them. They are indiscriminate murder machines, preying on the inexperienced, careless, and laggy. They are no less good at killing people than they are at cutting wood.

Those things said, I do agree that the builder can ill afford to take hits in the name of game balance, but any valid argument in favor of empowering builders further can't simply hang on needing a single power or item in order to maintain the class's relevance. There are 1001 ways to empower or weaken classes; making a class powerful by giving it an exploitable item, while leaving that class otherwise weak, is no way to balance a game. I am not saying this because I believe that builders are underpowered necessarily, but to pre-empt any arguments that DO make that claim, because I'm sure there will be some. The balance of the builder is a topic for another discussion and has absolutely no relevance in the discussion of the validity of incorporating or removing specific game features like this. If taking out saws leaves the builder weak, he can be boosted up in another, unrelated way via a less ridiculous method.

Aeynia and Contrary like this.
  19. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Why not just introduce a general-purpose portable shredder instead of introducing yet another redundancy with a powersaw and a powerdrill? It would replace the current drill as well as the current saws, eliminating all the other balance issues associated with a foldable meatgrinder that instakills everybody on both teams.

20. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

I still like my ideas that really everyone completely ignored.

Remove the sawmill all together.

Create a portable saw (hand saw), that follows the same traits as a drill. 50% less resource gain, overheats, etc.

Create a saw trap, created by the builder. Follows the same traits as a spike to an extent, only can be placed on stone, and pops out only when an enemy steps on it.

Does damage over time rather than insta-kill, but still is better than the spike trap while being less effective as the current trap using saw mills.