1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Build 963 - Crash fix, Anti-Doorspam, Helpful Tips

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DevBlogger, Dec 6, 2013.

1. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

Admittedly, I haven't played a hell of a lot since the modification to the door behavior was implemented, but I know we've seen a number of people complain about the fragility of the doors due to the fact that removing their adjacent "supporting" block causes them to begin the process of wobbling and falling down. From my assessment of what I've read, the problem is that when demolishing a block that is more fragile than the door, the door itself is destroyed, essentially making the doors as fragile as their adjacent block(s), in all cases.

If this problem is really as big as it is made out to be, could it not simply be solved by making the check only happen at time of door placement? If doors can only be placed if there is an adjacent tile that provides support, and that is the only time the check is made, it seems to me that it would not only be cheaper on the CPU (since the check happens once and only once per door tile placed), it would also make the doors remain intact after their adjacent supporting tiles were knocked out.

Sure, it would still be possible to create a door fortress, but it would be a very manual process of making a supporting tile, then a door, then destroying the supporting tile. This process would have to be repeated many times in order to create the door abominations that this mechanic has sought to eliminate, would make it very time consuming to erect them efficiently, and would involve considerable waste in the temporary support tiles. It would also allow the builders to create their giant vehicle doorways they want to make, while still strongly discouraging the much more dubious "door forts".

2. Iamaclay

Iamaclay Shark Slayer

Now that is the opinion of a pipe smoking badger at it's best. I support this modification whole-heartily. It has become just too easy to bomb your way through stone doors. If you destroy the block below you open a two block space ready for you to bomb the next block. You could actually make it through a four thick stone door with four bombs.

Apart from their easy destruction, these doors haven't really hindered building in any way though. They have done what they were designed to do - remove doorspam. Compared to some of the updates in the past this one has been minimal in disruption whilst having many potential solutions to our obsessive whining.

It's funny because there are what, 20, 30? people reading and commenting on these threads. Sometimes I wonder just what is the 'demographic' (if you will) of these threads and how well do they represent the community as a whole?

Rocinante likes this.
  3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

How many people have realized how badly this slows down underwater building?

4. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I realise I'm a bit late in response here, but still:

Re: Doors not collapsing once the adjacent tile is removed

I might do this, though I feel it'll facilitate door spam. I think people mainly have issues with stone doors breaking, am currently tossing up whether to just remove it for stone doors, remove it after the door is "stable", or not remove it at all. Leaning towards removing it after the door is stable since "doors too fragile : ( : ( : ( : ( " is the spam I get most frequently.

Re: underwater building

You're doing it wrong if door placement is your limiting factor.

5. >the strongest block in the game finally gets a nerf
    >"too weak :((((((("

fucking dirty casuals in my game, maybe switch to classic to have your unlimited builders

FuzzyBlueBaron, jackitch and Contrary like this.
  6. hierbo

hierbo Ballista Bolt Thrower
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I'm not sure facilitate is the right word here. With the original setup, there was literally no prevention of door spam at all. With the system that you implemented, door spam was rendered completely impossible, but at the expense of some otherwise acceptable door usages, such as tall/wide doors for vehicles. The system you're considering implementing now will not facilitate door spam, but will also not make it completely impossible, as the current implementation does. Still, though, it is not a bad compromise at all, as it doesn't hurt everyone in order to stop the abusers.

I think that it is best to keep the mechanics simple here and apply the rules universally to both door types to eliminate confusion. Regardless of the way you decide to handle the issue, it is messier from a user experience perspective, to have disjointed behavior from tiles. Consider the fact that now doors obey different rules than all other tiles with this "wobble" effect, and further differentiating the doors makes the tile placement rules even more arcane to the uninitiated.

Also, based on your reply, I doubt that it was your intention to weaken the stone door tiles; it was an unintended side effect. If you had wanted the stone door tiles to be weaker, it seems that a more direct approach of making them have the same strength as regular stone tiles would have been the most logical approach.

Iamaclay and FuzzyBlueBaron like this.