1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Add archer speed to arrows

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Ecued, Dec 12, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

I've just noticed the reason why I can never seem to hit anyone when I jump off of towers as an archer.
    When falling, arrows fall SLOWER than you do!
    I propose changing arrow speed from a fixed number to arrow velocity + player velocity.

This will get rid of some really funky situations where you can actually outrun your own arrows such as falling, slingshotting, or bouncing off trampolines.
    As it is now an archer is HELPLESS against enemies in front of him when moving sufficiently fast because his arrows simply can't keep up.

2. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

I'm sorry, But I just tested this on sandbox, and arrows fly faster than the archer, even just slightly. It's probably server latency.

3. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Arrows do need a speed increase, but mainly to increase the distance fired. They don't fire very far at all, and a distance buff would help nicely.

jim972601714 likes this.
  4. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

yeah, that would be a good buff.

jim972601714 likes this.
  5. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

Well I tested it on sandbox too. How fast were you falling when you fired? 2013-12-12_00005.jpg

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

As far as I remember it adds half (or maybe the square root of) the archer's velocity to the arrow. We added all of it during early testing, but people complained they couldn't aim while moving, which i think is more important than this specific case.

We will not increase archer arrow distance fired because we are uninterested in archers sitting ages away and spamming arrows offscreen.

7. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

What about making arrows fall faster, and then adjusting their firing speed so they have the same trajectory they do now?
    Or is the engine set up to make that more difficult than it sounds?

8. Sponncx

Sponncx Builder Stabber

If you give archer a bow, someone will always be firing arrows from ages away.

Not much you can do about it, but sniping is not all that effective anyway.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  9. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Honestly, I just feel like that would seem like you'd have lead arrows and a chinese-make bow. The current arrows are punchy over a moderate distance, after that they gain a bunch of drag and become less harmful, I don't really see the issue other than them not going perfectly parabolically other than it being somewhat tricky to master initially.

That's the aim; "true" parabolic arrow arcs mean we have to nuke accuracy and speed in short range to counter for that, the current "more drag over time" system means that moderate range is more accurate, spamming lobs just fills the air with weak arrows.

10. jim972601714

jim972601714 Catapult Fodder

Archer is just weak as a builder in a fight. You can only hit 1-2 health unless you are realky close to the knight. But you have only 2 health and knight have 4. Also i think the Accuracy need to be improved 2. 3 shoots never hit one spot. Unless u have a huge lag.....

11. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

I might as well not be here on this thread. All I need is a recording, saying "archers are a suppourt class"

to be an effective archer, hover ten tiles behind a knight, and shoot arrows into his opponents. Make his opponents afraid to take their shield down.

Trumbles likes this.
  12. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

I've been having decent luck using archer as an ultra close range damage class. Basically you just hover JUST outside jab range and continuously stun a knight. This works perfectly until they learn the ultimate strategy of walking forward while spamming jab...
    Once you get decent at aiming you can also pretty much bar any open area to builders and other archers.
    The problem there is when half your team goes archer after seeing your success without realizing that having more than one or two archers at a time is useless...

13. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

you are correct, archers can serve as an ultra close range class, but knights do it better. Remember, every archer you have is a knight you don't have.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  14. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

...doing anything but sitting there taking the punishment as this would not work on any knight of a slightly above average caliber.

15. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

Shield -> tripleshot
    start charging a slash -> get hit with an arrow and stunned
    jab -> whiffs and either destroys the arrow or takes damage and gets stunned again

Worst case, you just run away and try again later.
    Only times knights win are in water and those weird times when you get wedged inside something while trying to grapple away.

Mods: Rainbows