1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Fix the wonky arrow physics

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Ecued, Dec 14, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

Change arrow flight to a parabolic trajectory.

I don't know what the reason was for making arrows fly the way they do, but it's really bothering the hell out of me and making it weirdly difficult to hit anything.

The strangeness, as I see it, has 2 components:
    1)arrows are fired at a slight upward angle from where you're aiming, meaning that even when aiming straight horizontal, they go up a little before going down
    arrows too high.jpg

For each shot I aimed at the center of the stone block, and each shot is slightly ABOVE the center even though it should be BELOW it.

2)arrows suddenly and inexplicably lose most of their speed after traveling a certain distance and curve sharply downward
    arrow paths.jpg

It should be changed to:
    1)arrows leave the bow at the exact angle you see them at
    2)arrows never lose any horizontal speed, only being pulled downward by gravity

Aeroblitzer, Chromabird, Asu and 6 others like this.
  2. I couldn't agree more with this post, also the flight speed really annoys me, on classic we had a really nice balance between character speed x arrow speed, on beta all character are faster and "nimbler" while the arrows got very slowed

3. crackwise

crackwise Shipwright

A very well made post, I exactly feel the same with the OP!

4. Landoo2

Landoo2 Ballista Bolt Thrower

wasnt it changed, because before this was updated, it was very hard to aim over large areas, now its easier...
    you just dont have that long range anymore, but you have a lil more of a sniper

5. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

The reason you shoot a bit over the block is to let archers shoot over 1 block when directly next to it. So instead of just hitting the 1 block infront of you, it will go over it and actually shoot.

6. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

But all it does is tilt your aim upwards a little, you can achieve the same effect just by aiming upward a little.

After a little research what seems to happen is that the closer your cursor is to your character, the further upwards it tilts. This means it does almost nothing to long range shots, but reflex shots get screwed because your point of aim is totally different.

hierbo and Rocinante like this.
  7. Nivlac_13

Nivlac_13 Shopkeep Stealer

That was my first reaction when I played the game. I shot an arrow and thought, "well that's weird". I got used to it but still...

8. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

the target you see on screen is wrong. the middle of the four arrows is not where the arrow is gonna be aimed. idk where it really is.

9. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

The angle you aim at is a function of the cursor position and it's distance from the player character.
    If you put the cursor all the way on the edge of the screen it's the exact angle but when it gets close you aim more and more up or down.

10. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

I think the reason for the current arrow trajectory is so we don't have archers spamming arrows from across the screen, and yet we can still aim quite well at meduim range?
    idk really.

11. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

But I regularly shoot things at the edge of my vision, the weird trajectory does nothing to stop it, it just makes it weird to aim and very difficult to get arrows through tunnels and doorways.

The real killer is the aim tilt. I've been playing more archer lately and I'm getting pretty good at hitting targets at range, but because of the tilt I can't hit anyone right next to me, all my arrows go right over their heads even though they're only 1-2 blocks away.

The trajectory may have had a purpose, even if it doesn't work. There's no reason I can imagine for the wonky aiming when your cursor is close to your body.

12. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I agree, it's kind of bad. You can work around it by always aiming at the edge, I personally find it easier.

13. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

But then it takes a really long time (comparatively) to aim in the other direction. When I'm shooting at someone in melee range I have to jump all over and around them to stand any chance of not being instagibbed.

14. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

A) no we will not remove the drop-off of the arrows. Archers lobbing shots endlessly out of their screen is cancer, I don't mind if you can hit stuff at the edge of your screen with an extreme lob, but if you had "true" arrow physics we'd be back in classic with archer towers dominating the 100 adjacent tiles with arrow spam.

B) if there's still any "auto adjust" (something MM was playing with ages ago that afaik was removed) I'll get rid of it completely, but I haven't noticed any when playing archer (frequently to sap towers -> requiring aim to work).

Varion likes this.
  15. crackwise

crackwise Shipwright

@Geti : I think in its current state the team with more knights and a couple of skilled builders wins, you almost don't need archers other than setting fire at bases.

The archer towers becoming more dominant would actually add a lot more tactical depth to the game in my opinion. In such a case it becomes crucial to actually collapse the tower, opening a hole in it therefore would not suffice. I don't know, I still feel like archers are not very useful compared to other classes.

16. Guitarman

Guitarman Haxor Tester Official Server Admin

Just my two cents here, bomb arrows seem better. In a round of TTH I just played, our team won because of two archers unloading bomb arrows onto the last base, opening a hole that was plenty wide for knights to jump in. They pare then managed to collapse the structure, which led the the win.

17. Ecued

Ecued Shopkeep Stealer

The easiest way to see it is to zoom all the way in, star charging an arrow with your cursor off to the side and then moving it closer to you. Your characters starts tilting back more and more the closer you get.
    weird autoaim.jpg
    If you do this a little lower it tilts downward instead. I could probably have gotten a better picture where the angle I'm aiming at doesn't change at all, but even accounting for that it looks off.

I think it might have something to do with the bow being offset from the center of the character but I don't know.

18. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

I'd just like to be able to change the size of the crosshair, as it's huuuge!

19. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

You can.. All you need is a painting / photo editing program which has alpha channel.

20. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

But I'm a moron, I can't do that! Okay, maybe, but having it as an option in-game could've still been nice

Mods: Rainbows