1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Was I wrong for this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Falceris, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Falceris

Falceris Catapult Fodder

So, I was just in the KAG US CTF 2 server, right? Match starts, My team had just put up some really lame defenses (one block thick tower, about 13 blocks high with ladders behind it; a real basic box around the front flag and none on the back; a trap that was good at first until the enemy broke it, then it became a teamkiller) And I was doing my thing, being a knight/archer, when things started to go bad. The enemy knights were blowing our base up and we were struggling to keep them from taking the flag. They already busted through the door of the flag-box.
    Now, the builders were making these really cheap wooden wall things on the top of the box and they weren't really doing much to keep the base fixed. When I pointed this out to them, they gave me the usual response: "You don't like it, fix it yourself." Now this doesn't make any sense to me. I'm being a complete asset to the team helping to keep the enemy away. Why should I have to fix the base if it's their job to do it themselves? I told them that, and they told me to stop complaining. I saw one using an automated tree harvester and called him a minecrafter (in retrospect, I think I was wrong for that). "stop complaining, the builders are working with what they've got." Well, the other team had a perfectly fine base with actual defenses, and I'm sure these maps are symmetrical.
    Then the noob tower we had fell. So, with my limited knowledge of being a builder, I started to get stone trying to fortify the wood walls. Failed miserably as I was constantly attacked by knights because the stone was in front of the only defense we had left. Then I fell into the trap, which was made out of team blocks, trap bridges, and spikes. Shortly after, the enemy took the flag. One builder said "Complain now." Then I got kicked out. So, was I right for asking them to do their jobs? Or should I have been softer on these obviously noob builders?

2. Yeah, they were being unhelpful. You witnessed what most games call 'Pub Syndrome' - public players, often clanless or in small clans aren't willing to play as a team to ensure their team wins, and won't accept criticism. Even the best player can't win or even hold a game alone in KAG if their builders refuse to help.
    And those automated tree harvesters are insanely useful - you get 700 or so wood just by knocking a tree down without wasting time mining it, so that's a great thing.

Realistically, you cannot expect public players to listen to requests - if you want a true experience of teamwork, then you should join a clan. There's plenty out there, or you can form your own.

3. JoshTG

JoshTG Ballista Bolt Thrower

I've been there, trying to help my team by suggesting things and what not. The only way it will work is if your polite and suggestive, not commanding and pushy. Ive also had knights stand around and bark commands at me, and most of the time these knights aren't even good at the game.

Nobody likes getting told what to do and its not anyones "job" to do anything. Its a game, they bought it, and they can do whatever they want.

PumpkingSlice likes this.
  4. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

First: don't get at other players (I know it's hard), since at the moment a great part of them is not really experienced in the game. So patience.

Second: you did well by changing to builder. Sometimes if you see the team needs something (a better wall, a sneaking archer, a knight, a builder to get some gold) go and switch classes and try to do it by yourself. As far as I've seen, if you begin to do something useful your team mates might take your ideas and develop them (like making a platform for a catapult and buy eggs to grow chickens, once you made it they will gladly use it eventhought nobody thought about that before, it's like a chain reaction).

And third but not least: be patient. It happens that sometimes a team is composed by new players, so accept it and go on, and try to do your best. You can complain, but try to be constructive.

Sir_Walter, FuzzyBlueBaron and Reudh like this.
  5. kedram

kedram Drill Rusher Tester

It seems to happen to me every game when one builder makes the whole team lose because hes completely inept, hence dirt spikes, areas of safety made from team bridges and other random shit is made by these bad builders. its extremely annoying that they still dont know whats good for the team and continue to hurt the team with these really bad structures.

6. Yagger

Yagger Kouji's bitch 5eva Staff Alumni Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

the worst feelings with recent pub games is joining and

A) the game has been going on for at least 20+ minutes, and not ONE shop has been made in that whole time period. nada; no one was feeling it enough to build one shop.

B) you try to up the defense on the main hall / base, and someone constantly keeps taking the restock crate and runs off to some hole in the back of the base until he dies on the front lines.

Apronymous and Azuroth like this.
  7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

...and neither team has covered their flags at all.
    ...and the builders are making some huge wooden castle on top of the flag that you can't climb up.
    ...etc.

8. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

Have this pretty often, they build some 8 blocks high wall at front and don't do anything with the flags, so I start telling them to protect them and entomb them, they respond 'we are getting resources for that' while the build time is over, the enemy team has a nice base and all our flags are getting capped.

9. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

I've been there. It's pretty much essential that I be the 100-kill knight on my team, because whenever I try to switch to builder, we instantly lose too much ground for a builder to be effective. Terrible builders just want someone else to blame.

10. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

Yeah this is pretty much my life.