1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Archer caltrops

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Shambls, Dec 31, 2013.

Mods: Rainbows
  1. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

simple idea throw little spikes on the ground to impede the movement of your enemy not so much for damage but more for CC. also reduce the distance in which an archer would have to travel when kiting a knight.

a situational item that would not be permanent. so caltrops disappear after a certain period of time.

anything that make an archer more bothersome I feel is a great idea.

//edit from Kouji: Just a note to the other mods, while technically this has been suggested before, it was only suggested in the Classic forums, not beta so it's okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

Would this be placed similarly to the mine?

Because I can't see the Archer 'Building' Caltrops on the ground.

3. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

They would be thrown out. so upon leaving the archer they would be active. technically you could step on them in mid air or if it works better have them only active on the ground.

The game is so high mobility though i would prefer that they could work while in flight.

4. SAcptm

SAcptm Haxor Staff Alumni

Doesn't the water arrow already fulfill the function of zero-damage crowd control?

5. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

Yes it does. Caltrops is more of a soft cc used to harass or to help in an escape. It also give the ability to control an area unlike a water arrow. So opponents either forced to go through them or around them this helps to make their movements more predictable which ultimately help in hitting them or avoiding them.

A water arrow can't really be used at point blank range (unless you want to stun yourself) where as this can.

6. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

I really like this. I can imagine an archer putting them in front of doors, then when knights charge out, they would get stuck, and annihilated.

7. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Personally I'd see this better suited to builders, but it is a good idea overall, it was before too.

8. I thin this would be GREAT and fits perfectly because archers still need a "space" or "utility" ability. Knights have bombs, builders can rotate, and archers have caltrop. GREAT IDEA!!!

9. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

Been thinking this over. Caltrops have basically no utility in water unless you had them suspended in the water like a mine. Which I think would be kind of cheap because it covers such a large area in water then it would on land.

I really want to this to be oil. So instead of caltrops you throw out a Vial of oil. I know there is a seperate pitch/oil thread but the question I want to ask here is there too much utility and would caltrops be a better route. so oil would obvious float on the surface of the water and still have the same slowing effects as caltrops but with the added bonus of being able to ignite an area which in turn would ignite any players in the oil effected (affected? I always confuse them) area. So this would give you greater area control then the caltrops but only with the addition of a fire arrow.

Thoughts? I kinda feel its to much. I just like the idea.

10. I agree, too much. The caltrops should not take effect(affect) everywhere, they should sink.

11. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Indeed, if caltrops were implemented they should sink.

12. however that could be useful too. Make an underwater x=cave, fill it with caltrops, and watch the drowning

13. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

yeah I guess your right its not totally useless.

14. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Would really like to see this modded in. I'd love having more ways to screw with knights. :rekt:

15. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

when somebody steps on the caltrops, would it stop them from jumping?

16. Shambls

Shambls Tree Planter

I don't think so that would be to potent. It would reduce jump height at best. The slow in itself might be crippling enough. This all depends on how much the slow % is.

I think that is something that would have to be tested in order to properly know.

17. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Not being able to jump would be far too devastating in this game lol. It'd be fine if it were reduced by a % relative to the slow, but being completely unable to jump would make such a device OP as hell.

Mods: Rainbows