1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[984] My attempt at useful tower design

Discussion in 'Building Critiques' started by SirBlock, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SirBlock

SirBlock Catapult Fodder

[​IMG]

I'm a newbie (I bought it a few months ago, but that's new to most of you guys) to KAG, and I'm working on my building skill. I want your opinions on this tower, please, and point out any flaws.

Shambls likes this.
  2. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Your trap should be a block closer to the tower, for one. that way they'll fall into it attempting to scale the wall, or if they get knocked back into the wall.

If you ever place wood blocks, i suggest checkering them, and make sure to put a piece of stone backwall behind each wood block, then wood backwall for anything not connected to wood. Those platforms are connected to wood walls that lead all the way back to the wooden inner portion of your tower, which could result in a large fire.

If you're going to build an archer nest, I suggest making sure an archer has a clear shot straight down to the base of the tower. This way, they can arrowstun knights that attempt to climb, and shove them into the trap. You could do this by placing a square of wood platforms, with wood/stone blocks on the corners so no players/arrows can get inside by accident, and fill the inside with ladders, so an archer can remain suspended inside the nest without the need of a grappling hook.

Your trap design is pretty good, but IMO sawmills trump spikes every time when placed at the base of a tower. Costs far less resources too :P

Edit: One last thing, there's no way to get to the top of your tower, which is easily fixable with a ladder, but still. If a bombjumping knight were to get up there, they'd have a massive height advantage with no risk of counterattack.

Edit2: Just realised a friendly knight could slashjump to the top through the platforms, but still. Not all knights know how to do this. Better safe than sorry :P

crackwise and BlueLuigi like this.
  3. SirBlock

SirBlock Catapult Fodder

The trap not being closer to the wall is me being an idiot when lining it with stone, it's supposed to be right up against it. Thanks for the advice though. Also, I moved the trampoline later so you could get to the top, and was too lazy to take a new screenshot.

Edit - Also, the spike trap has a trampoline in it, if you didn't notice, because spike trampolines are hilarious. I died in it and my stone and wood was jumping for twenty minutes or so. It's really just to represent a trap in the tower design.

4. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Yep, spike trampolines are fun, but nothing beats instant saw-carnage imo. :)

Just to reiterate on those platforms, the corners should be a solid block. Placing them the way you did leaves a small space where objects/people could enter from the outside

Also, i derped and forgot about the trampoline inside the tower. My bad :P

Edit: One of the things i like to do, is make sure that my buildings are at least 5 thick near the base (this includes backwall). This way, a keg won't immediately bring the whole thing down, allowing for repairs. (kegs have a 4 tile block penetration, iirc)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  5. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

People who toss saws into traps are people I want to kill.

Trumbles likes this.
  6. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

It's mean but it's better :/

7. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Let me rephrase that.

People who waste time building traps instead of building good rush towers/fortifying flags/basically advancing in general are people I would like to kill.

101i and Shambls like this.
  8. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

A sawmill trap takes few resources and little time to construct, it's more something i do in TTH than in CTF. i'd rather be building rush towers in CTF, i agree.

Rubixxcube likes this.
  9. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Saws are tools for grinding wood rapidly. If you construct two saws for wood production, then make a third for a trap, that'sall right, but the time it takes to dig out the pit/place the trap tiles and saw would have been better spent using that 150 wood and 100 stone to make a good forward tower or a tunnel for knights. That's my issue with saw traps, mainly. Same for other pit traps lol.

10. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

I wouldn't use them in CTF for sure. Stone is scarce. In TTH, sawmills cost only wood :P

Rubixxcube likes this.
  11. Rubixxcube

Rubixxcube Bison Rider

Traps are very easy to set up, and they work really well. I've seen countless flag rushes and base runs denied outright as a result of them. Spike traps are absolute garbage, though. They slash their way through the platforms and they can play whack-a-mole.

I don't really see anything there that Trumbles didn't already point out, except for the fact that towers need to be relatively low mats and high blocking power.

The biggest issue of all, though, is that what with bomb ballistas and kegs, towers are almost completely useless. Builders are most effective erecting something quick and dirty and moving on. It's a sad reality, when you look back at Classic. Towers tend to really help out attacking bombjumpers, if they know what they're doing.

Hallic likes this.
  12. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah there used to be castles all the time, every match in classic. Now there aren't anything cool like that except in something like FUN CTF or a TTH match every now and then. And even then, that's just because people on both teams minecraft way past build time and then rush a few minutes after build time is actually over.

I honestly think doubling or tripling build time would really help out builders a lot in this game. Also it would cut down on 30 second matches where you rush over to an enemy base that hasn't erected any decent defenses and you just cap the flags. Those are boring matches.

@OP, your tower can be taken down with a single fire arrow to the top row of wood platforms or the wood doors. If the tower was burned out then everything above the wood doors would collapse, so placing some stone backwall in that section would prevent it from burning down. Otherwise, not a bad tower imo.

crackwise likes this.
  13. I think the main problems are that there are platforms in 1 spot on the floor, someone could fall out into a horde of enemies and it is VERY costly, perhaps removing the trampoline or making spikes every-other-block would be more efficient.

14. crawfish

crawfish Ballista Bolt Thrower

Good tower, but it would be too easy for archers to climb put some spikes on the top and that is fixed though.
    :right::smug::thumbs_up: