1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[947][Gen] A question regarding drills

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by Raelian, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

I've won a few matches by drilling into enemy structures so you're totally right.

2. JaniKutscher

JaniKutscher Builder Fan Donator

I agree , thats the best method you can use a drill.

3. ZeldaMarioDude

ZeldaMarioDude Tree Planter

Although drill is a waste of resource, we could use it to dig trapholes and breached their enemy towers. Ultimaticly for archers, since they have no thing that can blow up towers except for bomb arrows.

4. oblex

oblex Builder Stabber

I have another question, sometimes I'm drilling and it takes ages to turn red and other times it takes ages, also when the drill over heats one of two things happen, it starts smoking and drops from my hand and i can't pick it up or it just breaks, why do 2 different things.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 7, 2014, Original Post Date: Jan 7, 2014 ---
    Old players aren't necessarily more experienced, some people played during classic days and only just came back to find everything changed and they're starting from step one again.

5. Jlordo

Jlordo Nobody Donator

1. Drills don't heat up on ore.
    2. Not sure since I despise drills but I know that if it just plainly overheats it drops and deals .25 damage to you. When it breaks, it just means it was damaged enough to break. I'm not sure if overheating damages the drill. I'll check later when I'm at a computer or someone else knows.

6. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Drills overheat quickly on Dirt/Bedrock/ALLIED Placed Blocks.
    Drills overheat at 1/3rd speed on ENEMY placed blocks.
    Drills do not overheat on stone ore and gold ore. However they only give 50% resources so if you use a drill on Gold near me I will flip the fuck out and start cursing at you.

Also note that using drills on enemy doors and wood platforms is very bad. Use it on blocks, like stone/wood blocks for the best effect.

zerd likes this.
  7. ZeldaMarioDude

ZeldaMarioDude Tree Planter

Also, you can "unoverheat" a drill by pointing/placing it in water.

8. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

A team having one drill to clear dirt away so the team can get to more stone with picks is nice on some maps. Or for drilling out stone from no mans land quickly. Is that what people do? OF COURSE NOT. I don't think enough people know about the 50% stone yield, it really should be in the drill's description.

9. IMPX_MrFox2

IMPX_MrFox2 Catapult Fodder

Well, for me, it depends on the map. And, I was told it was 30% less, which is a lot less serious. I'll be testing it out on Sandbox Mode to be absolutely sure - I don't like hearing conflicting information from players, especially when the game gets updates and changes.

Anyway, as I was saying, it depends on the map, and it also depends on how many people are playing. If it's small, like a 2v2 or 3v3, I see no problem using a drill in early game. I get a high net yield in a tiny amount of time, allowing me to build an impressive fortress rather early. I don't use it on gold if I can help it, at least, not until I'm sure the yield is different. People complain and tell me it yields lower stone but honestly, where else can you get 500 stone in 3 seconds? It's just fast.

Now, in a larger game, I'd expect the other players to work together in the build phase. If I see someone building a very thick wall, I either throw them some stone or I work on it when they're gone off to get more stone. Not everybody does this, though, because noobs like to build their own things even when other things you're making aren't finished. They also don't seem to understand the importance of backwalls in stabilizing your structures.

Still, I have no problem with one drill, or even two, being active in the early game. In very large games, I'd expect to see drilling in mid- to late-game. My philosophy is that a stockpile of stone is much better than an emergency run for it. It always sucks when you want to quickly drill up some stone but your tech tree went the other way, and the butthurt "veterans" didn't pay for drill because "it's a waste of gold."

Everything is useful. And in all honesty, even in a small game where everybody uses a drill, you probably won't notice that your team has 30% less stone. The other team, in all likelihood, will make structures out of wood anyway, because they ran out of stone due to time constraints.

10. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Yea and when some dumbass paid for a drill I'll sit there with a keg or bomb arrow start busting your shit open, getting the other later and guaranteeting both KEGs and BOMB BALLISTAS.

Is it even a fucking question in tth?

11. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

Why do I get the sense that the people who waste all the stone drilling and building their own crap are the same people who call "map ruined" votes when they run out of stone.

BlueLuigi likes this.