1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Modded servers and Anti Virus Protection

Discussion in 'Help' started by JPD, Jan 11, 2014.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. JPD

JPD Shipwright

When you play a modded server the game client informs you that you are at risk of potentially downloading a virus. As you are not downloading directly from the internet, (instead from your KAG client) will a virus trigger your anti-virus protection. In my case I have AVG.

2. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Actually those are almost no I/O stuff in KAG scripting so risks of viruses are very very low and your antivirus will defend your computer anyway.

3. JPD

JPD Shipwright

Thanks!

Oh and what is this 'fun ctf' you speak of?

4. Asu

Fun CTF is a mod/server. Click on my sign, you will see its features

5. Mryup

Mryup Catapult Fodder

Asu,Where i can find the IP To join

6. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Type 'Fun' is the search function in the serve browser.

7. Aphelion

Aphelion Wunderkind Donator
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Impossible to get a virus from a mod, trust me.

8. Mryup

Mryup Catapult Fodder

I search for fun but i see nothing

9. Asu

It's closed while 2.0.3 is being made, it MIGHT be out tomorrow

10. JPD

JPD Shipwright

Try to stick with the theme of this discussion, you can talk about FUN CTF some other place.

11. Aphelion

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

There is absolutely no way a virus can be downloaded and executed. As you cannot perform I/O operations in scripts.

If there so happens to be a virus in the mod folder, It's going to do nothing.. unless you run it.

12. JPD

JPD Shipwright

I didn't understand a word of that but you own a very popular server and seem to know this kind of stuff so I'll gladly take your word for it. Thanks!

13. Downburst

Downburst Mindblown Global Moderator Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Never say impossible.

14. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Shush, Downburst, they can't know.

15. Aphelion

1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Perhaps having it read a cfg that's an exe..

16. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

*Cyber Security Major Enters*

It is very possible. Anything virus or malware related is possible. An example I typically use is that a good 10% of used games have some sort of virus/malware on it. You buy a game for one of the major consoles, install some sort of malware on it, return it to the store, someone else buys it, and because consoles are PnP meaning that they automatically launch anything you stick in them, boom, whatever you wanted to have executed is now done.

One of my mentors was a FBI's Top 10 most wanted hackers before he was caught and served his time. He used this method to steal a good $10k over the 3 years he spent in college.

If you can dream it, you can make it (as long as it is a virus or malware)

Asu and JPD like this.
  17. Noburu

Noburu Dirty, DRUNK, Hillbilly Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Sir you done lost you mind.

norill, Superblackcat and Birdman159 like this.
  18. Just because you're not downloading directly from the internet, does not make you safe from viruses.

19. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

You wouldn't be executing it, however someone certainly could download the files with the potential to do harm to your computer using KAG downloader, whether or not you then go to the folder and activate it is a different story, as it couldn't (most likely anyhow, there are workarounds for almost everything) be possible to make it run in KAG.

Example: .zip containing a .exe with you tell the downloaders is needed to extract the files If there is a limit for uploading archival filetypes you can change the name unless it uses something different along the lines of reading the header to determine what type of file it is and block it.

You would have to use a 2 step approach using social engineering in order to get them to open said malware, I don't believe (as Aphelion stated above) that it is possible currently to run any malware or program at all with the current state of the game.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey