1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Shield gliding up walls glitch

Discussion in 'Archive' started by ThePiemaster, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePiemaster

ThePiemaster Haxor

In many games, I've seen knights able to shield glide back and forth against a wall to scale it infinitely, no matter how high the wall is. Can this be fixed please?

JPD likes this.
  2. ThePiemaster

ThePiemaster Haxor

No, it happens without chickens, just a knight able to climb as high as he wants by gliding back and forth off the wall. Definitely not a feature.

JPD and norill like this.
  3. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Wall-jumping resets the wall jump counter, and lets you climb more, this is intended.

4. makmoud98

makmoud98 You are already DEAD Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester

easy fix: place some wooden platforms on the top of the tower

DragonShark likes this.
  5. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

This is more an issue of how the game handles walljumping while shield gliding vs wall jumping normally.

If you jump off a wall while gliding, you don't gain any height, this was intended to prevent what's currently happening.

If you jump off a wall without gliding, you gain a little height, like you actually jumped off the wall.. Problem is, knights can abuse this by canceling their shield glide the instant they touch the wall, to gain height each time they bounce off of it.

This definitely isn't an intended feature as far as i can see. It's definitely a bug.

On the other hand, it's entirely counterable, and is kinda fun tbh...

link6155, Klokinator and BlueLuigi like this.
  6. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

Isn't so necessary to 'fix' this glitch to be honest, as it is already very very easily counterable.

A 2 tile wall gap near the top of the area you're having the problem will fix it almos surely, you can do it getting out of there, but if you've already climbed a bit it's hard.

Example:
    :castle_wall:
    :castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::castle_wall:

If you do 1 wide outs it's too easy to get over, don't bother, just a single 2 or 3 wide outcrop is more than enough to keep people. If you put a door near the area it's just going to stop them altogether too. or wooden plats (but more dangerous for you, so the doors are a better bet, only thing easily stopping them are kegs, and those will wreck the wall either way most likely

:castle_wall::castle_wall::castle_wall:
    :blank::blank::stone_door:
    :blank::blank::stone_door:

Doors kill the momentum of doing the jump this way, almost as much as wooden plats do.

Noburu and Trumbles like this.
  7. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

I Agree this is still easy to fix on your own and there are more important bugs to be fixed but eventually this needs to be fixed

8. BlueLuigi

Why?

This is how good / fun content is created exactly, and how most of KAG itself became fun (not beta, classic). Unintended features eventually just staying because they were :
    A)Counterable
    B)Very fun
    C)Required at least a moderate amount of skill to use or master

This has all of those qualities.

zerd, Noburu, Hawxx and 5 others like this.
  9. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

Unintended things are always the best things, like skiing in Tribes.

101i and BlueLuigi like this.
  10. Knighthart

Knighthart is love Donator

I will keep using this and there is nothing you can do to stop me

besides building an overhang preferrably with background attached or put too many spikes on the wall.
    But besides that, NOTHING.

JPD and Sir_Walter like this.
  11. epenow

(Oh god arguing with a moderator ::(:)

Shield gliding will only give knights another ability on to bypass buildings along with bomb jumping, double bomb jumping, shield ladders, and just jumping over them with their rediculas jump abilities when combo'd with double slash. This will also give the pre steam release elite core of players yet another advantage over the steamies who probably wont be able to master or even use this strat (save a few skilled) and honestly I dont think its really something that's needed.

12. BlueLuigi

steamies is just something we call bad players who joined after steam, not everyone is one. Also, a game should not attempt to degrade itself to be playable by every 3yo that buys a copy, that's what Touch-My-Butt Elmo's are for.

Trumbles joined with the steam release afaik and is way better than me and has mastered all of those techniques.

An 'elite core' of players has nothing at all to do with when you joined, it has to do with your skill and willingness to learn, as with anything you would do.

As far as bypassing buildings, a single archer, or a simple to make overhang destroys this, whereas bombjumping is not hindered and can get over faster and easier anything this technique can, the only difference is that this doesn't require a bomb, but knowing so, as I said, you can easily counter it, in fact, before it was even a thing people were already building things that more or less incorporated this 2-tile-overhang to make bombjumping have to been done farther (better by the player), and make archers less annoying slightly. (Also gives your archers a nice place to chill if they are so inclined). Also while it isn't 'needed', it's fun, when fun mechanics naturally appear in a game you should attempt to preserve them not rid them.

One of the funnest mechanics around today came from a bug in classic, infinitely jumping in 2 tile wide areas.

Why not remove it? It's not necessary? Simple, because it is fun.

I have no moderator power in this area, and even so I would never use any power I had as a moderator or otherwise to influence a conversation or debate, so take that as you will.

zerd, Sir_Walter and Noburu like this.
  13. epenow

Oh i was just scared of you because mods allways make everyone they debate with look dumb as shit

14. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

Yeah the more I use it, the more I begin to agree with this. It's one of those quirks that at first makes you scream "Infinite wall climbing!!!" and then more quietly "But it takes a whole minute to climb anything of reasonable note."

Plus the better I get at it the less I want it removed because it is so damn useful and encourages smart buildings.

makmoud98, ThePiemaster and epenow like this.
  15. BlueLuigi

I do that even when I'm not a mod :<

NinjaCell, Trumbles, jackitch and 2 others like this.
  16. link6155

link6155 Haxor Staff Alumni Tester Official Server Admin
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Hopefully this is fixed soon, people are picking it up pretty quickly.

17. BlueLuigi

Again, bad thing why?

Spoke with Geti about this on mumble, there are much more important things on his radar.

Joiken likes this.
  18. Honnestly I really like this bug and again, cool bugs like this one should be considered.

19. epenow

Knight is already way to mobile for it to be funny

ThePiemaster likes this.
  20. BlueLuigi

Again, this does not really increase his mobility much, when you do this you restrict yourself a lot, you can get farther than this could in 5 seconds with just a double slash directly up the wall. The only benefit to this is evading knights that are lower than you, and you need at least 2-3 hops after going up with a slash to be outside of the range in which they can just double slash up to hit you.

In other words, unless you already have your position high up on a tower, it does nothing to increase your mobility, it is stopped very easily by 2 different kinds of blocks and by an overcrop of at least 2 tiles, and is too slow to provide much use in combat.

Not that it matters, like I said, already talked to Geti about it, he will probably fix it, but it's not on his immediate radar for fixing, as there are much more important things, in fact some of them involving knight.

You guys really get worked up about just what you know, cause I knew of this other bug he's working on, yet there is no thread on it, and I've only spoken with one other person seriously about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.