1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Lantern Spamming

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by jokeman8454, Jan 29, 2014.

?

Wave these lantern spamming days goodbye

Poll closed Feb 12, 2014.
  1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  3. Can't Decide

4.0%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. jokeman8454

jokeman8454 Haxor

I've lately been playing on Australian servers hosted by Kaiz and Lava and twice in 4 hours i came across a lantern spammer. If you don't know what lantern spamming is it's when someone gets a LOAD of wood and just makes lanterns until the server is so laggy its hard to do anything. Now this one would be a hard one to fix but i have a suggestion. Maybe make 1 player can only have 3 active lit/non-lit lanterns at a time. Also having only 3 lanterns wouldn't inconvenience players to much because you can just place it in your inventory and a glow emits from you. Also i hardly see people use lanterns unless they're lantern spamming.
    Now please vote if you would like to wave these lantern spamming days goodbye goodbye

2. Gurin

Gurin Stop That! Global Moderator Donator Tester

@Fellere825 >:(

Anyway, yeah. It would be nice to stop these people from spamming, I like your idea.

EDIT: mfw Reudh, ninja'd

BlueLuigi and Fellere825 like this.
  3. Lanterns can be destroyed with one or two stabs. And, honestly, I don't see anyone using them in TTH or CTF besides spammers.

4. jokeman8454

jokeman8454 Haxor

I get your point Reudh but it takes a while with he amount that the spammers create.

5. toffie0

toffie0 is sweeter than you <3 Global Moderator Forum Moderator Tester

Spent over half a match breaking lanterns with three other people, and also they generated so much lag that people had to quit.... :( you have to wander how much wood they wasted. It's not cheap

I like the ideas you have there Joke but maybe a time limit? Like every 2min or something you can make one lantern (per person). 2mins doesn't sound like a lot but it makes spamming harder and if you realize that they're spamming it's quicker to break.

6. Galen

Galen Haxor Staff Alumni Donator

Moved to more appropriate section.

Geez people, post threads in the correct section please. >_>

BlueLuigi and Gurin like this.
  7. Reckoning420

Reckoning420 Catapult Fodder

Have never witnessed this first hand, But clearly see a potential problem here. As for solutions that could be tricky.

I see a time limit, or even a team limit for lanterns. Only one Lantern per team member.

8. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Ignoring the concern troll stuff

Yeah this is a legit issue, we had a guy poop out literally hundreds on the aus server recently to the point it was faster to nextmap than to clear them, even with a few builders just cutting lanterns the lag wasn't really subsiding.

Plan is to force-kill lanterns if there's more than 5 or 6 in a small area (only killing one at a time til its back below the limit) - no time limit and no per-player tracking, just simple radius checks every now and again; anything else will have an impact on performance anyway which defeats the point. I'll make a config var in the script so you can tinker with it if you have a server that NEEDS 100s of lanterns for some stupid reason.

I'll probably make it print out the name of the owner of the lantern if it's available so you can tell who's doing it.

9. lavalord

lavalord Haxor Staff Alumni Donator Tester

You should have told me to nextmap, I didn't realise it was that many.:ehh:

10. Trumbles

Trumbles Bison Rider

@Geti what about soft caps on buying lanterns as well? Like, you can make lanterns to a certain limit, then over time that limit will increase, still allowing your team to buy lanterns, but keeping someone from spamming 100s of them at a time.

11. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

A tad off topic, but I'd love to see that Archers could use Lanterns to light their arrows. The arrow wouldn't be the same as the fire arrows you can buy, just a small buff to your single arrow. Either half a heart more damage, or when hit, the same effect (although shorter) that the fire arrow gives you when you're hit.
    The part where you can't really control yourself for a second.

It would take a short moment for you to actually light the arrow maybe, so your overall rate of fire would go down a bit if you wish to only fire these small buff arrows

12. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

I don't see a point for this, you never need more than 5 lanterns within a sensible radius of each other ever, so an area based solution is better than an overall cap as far as I can see.

@Saigon this was initially the way it worked but it was deemed pretty annoying to use. It'd be possible to mod into a "realistic" server if someone got really interested in playing with it though, doesn't require much tricky code at all.

-Q and Trumbles like this.
  13. Saigon

Saigon Builder Stabber

Ah, gotcha. Was just an idea off the top of my head too, hadn't thought it through.

Geti likes this.
  14. Vattic

Vattic Shopkeep Stealer

Similar should be done for buckets. Saw both them and lanterns being spammed on a server just now. With them costing the same people will just move on to spamming only buckets.

15. Geti

I'll likely do it with all the utility items, including boulders and dinghies.

16. BlueLuigi

BlueLuigi :^) Forum Moderator Donator Tester

There is another large issue with 'shit you can spam'. If you manage to remove the ground under the trader (I've seen it on some maps), and make about a 6 tile drop, a new one will spawn and drop continuously, and this creates a huge amount of lag, it brought the server to a standstill in 2~3 minutes, was forced to nextmap.

norill likes this.
  17. Mazey

Mazey Haxor Global Moderator Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Official Server Admin

I guess you haven't been on irc and read your serene_silk, but Rayne linked you to this.

18. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

Aye, for some reason noBuild areas don't always sync properly to the client and can be ignored for terrain removal by builders.

Mods: Rainbows