1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

[885][Gen] Sitting on your arse during build phase

Discussion in 'Classes & Mechanics' started by DooMAD, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Klokinator

Klokinator Such Beta
    1. Aphelion's Roleplay

100 stone is... two stone doors. Or a 10 block tower. Knights can climb 10 blocks with little difficulty. Now, if you get three coordinated builders making a great tower around the first flag, 100 stone and 120 seconds is fine. But honestly, it's usually just me making a tower, just Lone_Noob_Bob making another, and three other guys drilling resources then charging out and dying, losing said resources the moment the match starts.

Start factoring in that to get enough stone to make 4 stone doors and a single tile barrier around a single flag takes about 350 stone, actually more if you plan to add backwall to the inside, as well as a tall wall so knights can't just hop the damn thing, and we're in the range of 450 stone. That takes a long time and a huge chunk of build time to mine.

In classic, I could build good fortifications because build time was 300 seconds, and so could the other team, which cut down on 5 minute matches. Some people think that too much stone turns matches into stalemates, but they're actually wrong. If you can build a good wall that will hold the enemies back, you can then advance to the next spot, then the next, then the next. Ifyour team just uses that stone to turtle, they're really only dooming themselves.

2. Crye

Crye Catapult Fodder

I am a 100 percent guilty of this. I don't understand building or the interface for items at all though so I just don't bother. I'm willing to learn its just I've never really played the game that much.. I just love playing archer.

3. Infiniterising

Infiniterising Amorous Duelist Donator

Is it just me, or when I build something big, at the match ends without the fortress built even being touched, team wins, yadda yadda yadda, I sulk because the building wasn't even used, all that time and effort building down the drain...

Then the next match starts, can't be stuffed building this round.
    *random teammate*: Yo bitch, get off your ass and build!
    *Me*: F**k off, I was the only one building last round.

Anyone else very occasionally get this? Or is it just me because I usually play when not many people are around?

4. Skinney

Skinney THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator Tester

IMO if you don't want to build you can at least gather resources and give it to the players who do. Jumping around and doing nothing is not only detrimental to your team but annoying to the players who are trying to construct your defenses. If you really feel like not building you can hang out inside the hall or tent until the build phase is over so you do not get in the way of other players.

5. -Q

-Q Donator

Builders like you are useless; build on the front lines where the action is happening. A good push with a builder is what wins games; not 'shoring up your defenses' for an hour while you minecraft.

Every CTF start, I make a builder shop then I bring the rest of my starting resources to the first flag, 100 stone and 100 wood. I build 5 stone blocks in a good tower position (sometimes near the flag, sometimes near bedrock) and then 1 stone door. Then my stone is depleted, but I can finish the wall with a wood door, and some wooden blocks, a ladder, and a team platform to disengage wall climbers. That quick design stops most knights in the beginning game.

I then go back to the spawn and get another 100 stone and 300 wood. If someone else hasn't already done so, I make a knight shop, or if someone else has already, I make a food shop. Then I go back to the flags and use my stone for whatever someone else is doing, usually a flag shack. If nobody bothered, I make a flag shack with wooden walls and one stone door on each side.

By this time I'm running out of time, so I go back to spawn to get one more set of resources. Now I simply buy a drill with my last 100 stone, and go knight. I also have at least 20 and sometimes 40 coins, so I get bombs as well. Then I rush. I usually win.

If the map has chickens, I usually don't bother making a second shop, and I build a huge ladder instead. If someone doesn't end up griefing (uh, 'cleaning') the ladder, I use it as a gliding launch tower with my chicken. If idiots don't end up killing all the chickens for fun, of course.

When the planets align and I'm not forcibly limited by my team... well, I don't need to tell you how effective a flying knight with a drill is. Especially if there's no knights on the other side of their defenses. Makes me giddy.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    Hawxx, norill and Sir_Walter like this.
  6. Humblar_Tabulu

Humblar_Tabulu TURTLE Turtle turtle... Donator

Hey man, If you want to learn PM me (The Hero of Ages) and we can set up some training sessions. Or, come into Last Kings Servers and ask questions. Someone there will surely help you.

pearlsncurls likes this.
  7. CookieEpic

CookieEpic Shopkeep Stealer

I do quite enjoy playing builder in the build phase.
    I thought it was common sense. Apparently not, as for the last 5 vanilla games a knight or archer sat around complaining that the game was boring while everyone else helped make a base.

It's also an occurence when people think builders are useless once the build phase ends.
    Those same people complain when noone fixes the gaping hole in our tower. :rollseyes:
    It's just angry, overtired people. You can find them everywhere.

Heck, i'll admit- i was one of those people too. And still am, on occasion. :oops:

8. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

I think it also depends how good you are as an archer/knight. If you're good enough that every second on the frontlines is worth more than putting some blocks down, ok. But even then, I don't see why you can't just mine some stone before switching. Instead of standing around doing nothing, stand around holding right click.