1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. If you have a problem and need help, create a new thread with a title that briefly describes the problem.
    Do not use titles like 'Help!' or 'I have a problem!'
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

The types of greifers you will encounter.

Discussion in 'General Help' started by Darksteel, Nov 4, 2011.

1. Darksteel

Darksteel The see me Boulderin', they hatin'. Donator
    1. Australians United Stand Strong - AUSS - (Invite Only)

I have made this guide to distinguish greifers, hackers etc. appart. if you think i've missed any plz post them,

I will go in order by commonest.

1: Greifer.
    what they do: Destroy allied defensive strucktures and "tk".
    how to stop them: ask your team to kick them, unless they are premium, in which case you will need to report them. you should report them nonetheless.

2: Speed Hacker.
    what they do: Alter their movement speed by use of third-party software and or in-game mods.
    how to stop them: if they are on your team, ask your team mates to kick them, if not you can kill them like everyone else. report these idiots; they ruin the game.

3: Depleater.
    what they do: jump into spike to lower your teams lives.
    how to stop them: get your team mates to kick them, you will not always be able to get these
    guys banned, so mostly just try to kick them.

4: Spammer.
    what they do: fill the chat box with bullshit, insult everyone in sight and make claims that
    your father sucks cock.
    how to stop them: Kick them, then report them.

5: Stalker (These guys are rare, i have only encountered 3, and that was 1 group.)
    what they do: stalk and harass one player, threatening, him insulting him and "tk"ing him.
    how to stop them: you definately need to report these guys, as if its a large group they can kick other players to stop you kicking them, I haven't seen the guy the three aforementioned stalkers were harrasing since i confronted them... he may have been turned off of Kag forever, please, help stop the spread of greifers.

What is not greifing (or not as serious as greifing for case 2.)

1: Destroying doomed structures:
    what happens: the enemy takes your precious base, we know you spent all game making it, but do you really want the enemy to have it? when your allies are on there last legs a freindly builder will destroy a structual weakness to collapse the structure, so the enemies cant use it to press there attack.

2: Accidental greifing.
    A knight pulls a bomb and accidently destroys some of your teams structual defenses, plz note, some knights will grief this way on purpose, so if its a huge structure that ffalls it was more than likely planned, and therefor it is greifing.

illu, Eric, Vikthar and 1 other person like this.
  2. DutchKazuya

DutchKazuya Shipwright

Isn't it griefer and not greifer?
    Destroying allied structures isn't always grief.
    Grief is destroying blocks of your team's buildings with as goal destroying the building altogether or helping the enemy do so.
    If they destroy the building altogether first ask yourself why they did before shouting griefer, did they destroy it to annoy you?
    Eg they destroy a useful building in your own territory, or did they destroy a building with as goal killing the enemies by making it collapse on top of them/prevent the enemy from using the building for themselves (if they are close to taking it over, eg you and somebody are there and 10 man are rushing forward while your 8 mates just respawned at the back of the base).
    I for example sometimes destroy blocks to weaken structures, not to grief them, but to make them collapse if the enemy has control, for example a stone skybridge, if the enemy clearly is in control I can destroy it within 2 seconds, if I didn't destroy blocks beforehand it would cost 10+ seconds by which time they had already killed me.
    Don't confuse griefers with people who are preventing the building from being used against you - I mus have gotten at least half a dozen temp bans from a local server admin because my team didn't understand that a stone skybridge can be used against you if left unguarded.

Vikthar and Hunter0 like this.
  3. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

Best way to identify a Speedhacker is if he can run faster than a fleeing Archer (Old KAG rules ftw :D), and also if they're already on your side in the matter of seconds.

4. Drok

Drok Shark Slayer

Don't forget the ones that randomly spam stone or spikes (mostly at the building time) to ruin structures/annoy/kill teammates.

Edit: It is easy to differentiate lag from speedhacking - in the first case the player will seem to teleport randomly, while in the second the speed increase is continuous and without teleporting. More often than the kill-death ratio of a hacker will be above 10, while the one from the lagger will be below 1.

5. DutchKazuya

DutchKazuya Shipwright

If you see a speedhack, before asking for a kick check his ping, if it's 300+ it's lag not speedhack.
    If it's lag still kick but don't report for hack, if normal ping kick him and report for speedhack.

6. Vikthar

Vikthar Shipwright

Good post Darksteel!

7. Darksteel

True, note that I said "Defensive Structures" a stone skybridge isnt a defensive structure, a defebsivee structure is a control point of the map, say a mountain, easily defendable by archers, but a freindly greifer could fell this to allow them safe passage... I haven't done a good job at explaining the difference between the two... maybe i should make a post saying "what is not greifing"....

8. Darksteel

even if your lagging you can still speedhack, infact some speed hackers use high ping as an exuse to do so.

9. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

I'd also suggest adding Aiding & Abetting to your list.
    Many times, I've had players from the other team join ours so as to e.g. place ladders all over the front of our walls, dig tunnels that connect your inner base to their tunnels, and so on.

10. DutchKazuya

DutchKazuya Shipwright

Darksteel you are still saying greifer it's GRIEFER.
    The I comes BEFORE the E, NOT after.

11. Darksteel

Sorry, i have this problem with alot of words... but if you can understand it why do you complain?

12. DutchKazuya

DutchKazuya Shipwright

Because I kind of get annoyed by that :D
    Especially after already correcting you :D

13. Darksteel

so griefer... right?

14. Headbomb

Headbomb Shopkeep Stealer

Short version:
    KICK`EM ALL!!!!!!!AND REPORT!!!!!!
    btw nice work, thank you.

15. Darksteel

This is set for newbies, so they know what to expect playing Kag, sad but true... there are a million ways to play... and a million and one ways to grief... :(

16. RobinTh3Hood

RobinTh3Hood Shipwright

DEATH TO ALL GRIEFERS!

17. Valkyrie

Valkyrie Shark Slayer

A little primary school rhyme for you Dark: I before E except after C

18. Shadlington

Shadlington THD Team THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Except for all the other exceptions ;)

My highly-caffeinated weighty neighbour fancied a change of policies for extra efficiencies

Man, the English language is such a dick.

Duke_of_Sausages and Wonkyth like this.
  19. Wonkyth

Wonkyth More precious than carbuncles! Donator Tester

Yeah that rhyme screwed me over for ages, especially since I was studying several sciences and ancient history. :P