1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Siege Placement Restrictions

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Duplolas, Mar 24, 2014.

?

Good idea or bad?

1. Good, I like it, implement this.

65.2%
  2. Bad, I hate it, get that shit out of my face.

34.8%
Mods: Rainbows
  1. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Ever gone into a game where your team has decide the place 2 or 3 ballistas in one spot while on top of that, literally on top of that, they have stacked catas in that spot too?

It becomes just a huge cluster fuck of machines that no one can use. After you stack more than 1 of each machine on the same spot being able to select which machine you wish to enter and which spot of the machine you want to enter becomes pure luck.

So, I propose this:

Make it so the red restriction box comes up when 1 of the same siege machine is already placed in close proximity to it. This allows 1 cata and 1 ballista to be placed on top of each other which allows for easy loading and firing of each.

2. Monsteri

Monsteri Slower Than Light Tester

I meant to vote bad, pls someone change my vote

Vampire likes this.
  3. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

I understand where you are coming from with this tweak, but personally i prefer having the freedom to use siege weapons in an ineffective way, if i choose to.

Mechanically this could also get very frustating, since you could be in a situation where you would have to destroy a missplaced siege weapon, before being able to reposition it with a new one. And potentially get kicked for griefing in the process.

4. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

But the only way you can even enter a siege vehicle that you want is by destroying the ones stacked upon it. So you already have the chance of getting kicked for griefing.

5. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Sounds like i misinterpreted what you meant with "close proximity". (At first i though you meant like a 10-20 tile radius limit or somthing similar, but if you just mean 1-2 tiles, then my first point can be disregarded)

After re-reading your thread-post I am more positive towards this tweak. But personally would still prefer being able to place them on top of each other, since it might be the only spot you can put down a cata, that you are planning to use for driving off onto unsuspecting enemies beneath you (or for some similarly ineffective, but hilarious use).

EDIT: I do share your pain though, and would like a better way for entering the siege weapon of choice, when they are in front of each other.

6. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

I feel like if a team is stupid enough to do that, they deserve to get the frustration

Nabuco and BlueLuigi like this.
  7. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Yeah, I meant no placing of the same siege machine in the exact same spot. Once you get about 4 blocks away, the machines will still overlap, but you still will be able to get into which ever you want. 10-20 would be ridiculous.

8. skelozero

skelozero Catapult Fodder

but what about rainning warriors/boulders/kegs/stone onto your enemy from the same spot? plus usually theres only one good place to put seige engines in your base and thats the highest tower you got or the one closest to the frontline although i have never seen a team able to get enough gold to do this you must play with better people than i do

9. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

Multiple choice, point completely disregarded.

10. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

If you want to keep firing at the same spot, why not just GET MORE AMMO???

For catas (80 gold), all you need is stone. That is much cheaper than buying a whole nother cata.

For ballistas (150 gold), all you need is the bolts (30 gold). Again, that is much cheaper than buying a whole nother machine.

11. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

For catapults you can just walk to the tent and get 3 free shots

Duplolas likes this.
  12. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

but..... If this change were to take effect, how could I do this? [​IMG]

In all serious-ness, I have never seen more than 2 ballistas and 2 catapults on a wall at the same time. It may be annoying, but people are idiots if they spam it because it's a waste of money. People will figure it out sooner or later, let natural selection do its magic.

Nabuco, Sir_Walter and Vampire like this.
  13. BanakaI1

BanakaI1 Shipwright

That's in action server I think, so you can just unpack it somewhere else and carry it and then load it in

14. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

@Auburn

It has been awhile since the steam release and players still haven't realized that buying ammo / gathering ammo is better than buying a new machine. It has been long enough for them to realize on their own that placing that many machines in the same vicinity is a bad idea.

In most cases, letting players figure out something on their own is a good thing, however, that is in most cases.

15. emasame

emasame Bison Rider

ive done it my fair share of times. people arguing about the efficiency are right to an extent but i find that when i sit in a ballista for a couple minutes i have gotten over 300+ coins from blasting fools left and right. now i have the option to get another ballista but also another ballista for my teammates to machine gun shots for added destruction. why wouldnt i want to do that?

i like the idea duploplas. id go as far to say 1 siege in a shop-like radius should be allowed. it makes ballista rape harder to set up because builder would need to extend platforms and do work.

16. Monsteri

Well I often buy extra ballistae cause what the heck I can afford it, after 12 ballistae shots I'll have more than 1K in coins. Also I can't be sure if the ballista is still there while I'm visiting our base, so it's better to just buy a new one rather than having to make a new trip if it turns out to be gone.

Auburn likes this.
  17. Auburn

Auburn Prepare Yourself! Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Donator Tester
    1. SharSharShar - [SHARK]

Also, in actual medieval combat, there were ballistas lining the walls. Isn't stacking siege engines in the same spot basically the same thing, but in 2D?

Nabuco likes this.
  18. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

So then why can't I set up a shop in the same spot as another shop?

19. Monsteri

you can in fact

20. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

So you are saying I can put a archer shop in the exact same place as a knight shop? Having them overlap?

Mods: Rainbows