1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Need help with starting modding

Discussion in 'Modding Help' started by Iqorxx, Mar 27, 2014.

1. Iqorxx

Iqorxx Shipwright

Hello there,
    I want to start modding. I have Sublime text as program to code, so I don't need help with picking editor.
    I want to know how to start modding, because when I look at code of ex. archer... Jesus christ. I was learning some C++, but I forgot most of them...

Well, my friend tell me how he started modding - he was changing variables in .as files, then he was checking what was changed.

Can you give me tips about how to start modding fast and good? I want to know:
    -How modificate Sandbox mode to modding-friendly mode;
    -Is there a way to check if mod is programmed fine without doing Close-Open, Close-Open a game?;
    -Variables and what they are doing I checked a .../KAG/Manual;
    -Simple codes and if you can - place descriptions between codes;
    -How YOU started modding - I will propably do same as you;
    -More and more...

My main point is to make a Rogue class. Yes, I know what this class will have.

Thank you for all help.
    Btw, sorry for my english =)

2. ZeroZ30o

ZeroZ30o Haxor

- If you want to modify sandbox, go under the Base/Rules/Sandbox/Scripts/Sandbox_Rules.as, you will find sandbox specific scripts there, and you can make a copy inside your mods to modify it.

- I believe there was a way, but I've been told a while ago it was broken. So I'll guess no, but I'm not sure.

- KAG manual doesn't only have variables, it has alooot of functions, which are what you're going to be using to script, obviously. I wouldn't worry about the variables, as long as you know what string, vec2f, int and float are.

- For simple codes, I just think you should hop on to #kag.modding on IRC, I don't think there's any easy code without explaining.

- I started with the worst codes ever, which is Bomb.as and the GUI stuff, which is a pain to understand, but after that, everything seems easy. Basically just know how to code in C++ and then ask on the IRC.

*Edit due to typo

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  3. Iqorxx

Iqorxx Shipwright

Thank you!
    I was joining modding IRC but nobody answers, nvm, will try again! :smug:

4. ZeroZ30o

ZeroZ30o Haxor

Yeah, you need to have alooot of patience for answers, sometimes it takes a day, sometimes it's instant.

5. Iqorxx

Iqorxx Shipwright

And one question, how much time it took to make a something simple (without graphics) ex. Golden drill?

6. ZeroZ30o

ZeroZ30o Haxor

1 to 10 minutes depending if you fuck up or not, if you just change existing parameters it's super easy.

Edit: and not really "appreciated" by anyone, since it's so dull.