1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

KAG Kag looks horrible in 1080p

Discussion in 'Help' started by Takain, Apr 5, 2014.

Mods: makmoud98, Mazey
  1. Takain

Takain Ballista Bolt Thrower

I had a 720p monitor, kag was on 720p resolution, it looked normally, now i bought a 1080p monitor and it looks ugly in both 720p and 1080p, looks like if theres full of dots on the screen, does anyone know a resolution that works well with it?

2. try to not have it full screen maybe?

3. Takain

still blured D:
    Small resolutions like 800x600 without fullscreen it looks good, but im not like playing on such screen size, :/

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  4. just keep changing the resolutions until you find a perfect one.

5. Takain

all the * resolutions looks fine and ones without * looks bad, so i guess the * means that it is a good resolution for your screen right? but the biggest one with * is 1280x1024 which is really small to the sides, as my screen is 1920x1080, but custom resolutions all get blured, does custom resolutions need a 'calculation' or smth like that to find a number that works? ,-,

6. Boea

Boea Such Beta

Seems the aspect ration, which I don't know if you can change, of KAG is 4:3.
    The largest resolution I can find for that aspect ratio, given your screen resolution, is 1440x1080... of which the height of the screen is the limiting factor.

Found with:
    "last $ filter (\(a,b) -> (a <= 1920) && (b <= 1080)) [(a*n,b*n)| (a,b) <- [(4,3)], n <- [1..1000]]"
    Output:
    [(1440,1080)]

Noburu, Cirom, zerd and 4 others like this.
  7. Asu

Asu THD Team THD Team Forum Moderator

Try disabling smooth filter?

8. Boxpipe

Boxpipe single, female, lawyer

Someone just mathed hard for your convenience OP, PRAISE HIM. PRAISE THE SHIT OUT OF HIM.

9. Invaders

Invaders Shark Slayer

Turn off smooth shaders, that fixed ti fro me.

10. Takain

Smooth shaders OFF make it looks even uglier, BOEA's answer was correct, although it still only takes like 60% of my screen, :C oh goddamnit paid 200$ for a nice screen and now i cant play kag on fullscreen D:
    if someone knows how to change that 'aspect ratio' he said, please reply here :)
    look how it is on 1440x1080
    http://pokit.org/get/?9409b53c1319c4a88f0cc54b0e2674cf.jpg

11. Boea

Boea Such Beta

It looks really ugly, though.
    [​IMG]
    This looks better, though.
    also, ite is:
    ite (a,b) n = (a*n,b*n)

Hm, so KAG Beta really does scale the window... The next question is, "What is your aspect ratio?"
    For that, use google.

12. Jepton

Jepton Shipwright

Looks normal to me...

13. Boea

Boea Such Beta

The issue is that OP wants to have the whole screen covered by the window, without causing any nasty graphical scaling.
    As far as we know, KAG Beta only likes being stretched to fit, instead of finding a best fit.

14. zerd

zerd Arsonist
    1. SIEGE Clan - SIEGE

Looking at the vertex shader code for the file called "hq2x.vert" (this is for the smooth shading effect), without trying to fully understand it, it appears to be hardcoded for 1024x768 resolution.
    Code:
    float x = 1.0*scale/1024.0;
    float y = 1.0*scale/768.0;
    I too am using a 1920x1080 screen and was having weird pixel arifacts when using the smooth shader.
    By changing the hardcoded resolution values in the shader to the following fixed it for me:
    Code:
    float x = 1.0*scale/1920.0;
    float y = 1.0*scale/1080.0;
    I assume the devs just forgot to add this as variable so it can be updated to fit the current resolution before drawing it on the screen. If this is some engine limitation, then i suggest generating the entire shader file each time a user changes resolution settings.

Edit: A few things i forgot to add:
    This thread should probably be moved to the bugs section, if I am not mistaken about the shader code.

I am running the game in fullscreen.

Personally prefer smooth shading off regardless, gotta love dem pixels.

Waky, Noburu, kaizokuroof and 3 others like this.
  15. Takain

holy mother of god Zerd, thank you very much, it fixed the problem, using 1920x1080 now

For the ones having same problem, the hq2x.vert is in King Arthur's Gold\Base\Shaders

Zerds fix should be added to a sticky thread with common fixes, if fixed for both of us must fix for everyone, although would be better to the game actually change it automatic depending of your resolution

Waky and zerd like this.
  16. Asu

I knew it, but I didn't understand why you said it looks worse with the smooth filter disabled, so I thought it was a render failure.
    Yeah, the size variable should be shared with the C++ code

17. Takain

Aparently it get broken everytime the game updates, the game should let it be diferent, just like another configurations....

18. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw it's not really a "config file", its a shader program which is code used to postprocess the screen when smooth shader is on. The screen res shouldn't be hardcoded there; but it is due to MM being unable to figure out how to set shader properties from irrlicht at the time it was implemented. I'll put it on the TODO but I can't give any guarantees it'll be looked at promptly, I'm afraid.

edit: to clarify; the reason the screen is scaled rather than found a best fit is for reasons of fairness - if we allow the screen to expand outwards then we give people with wide screens an unfair sight advantage - if we restrict it inwards then we penalise them for using their native resolution. stretching the viewport ensures that you have the same visibility at each resolution; it's mostly legacy habit from MM working on soldat, and people treating KAG as a serious competitive game.

Waky, Noburu and zerd like this.
  19. Asu

Couldn't you use that? I'm not sure at all if you can use this though.
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3226578/passing-a-variable-to-an-opengl-glsl-shader

20. Furai

Furai THD Team THD Team Administrator

Hopefully it will be fixed in the next patch.

Asu likes this.
Mods: makmoud98, Mazey