1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Shiprekt' Suggestions - General

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Ideas' started by Jepton, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Mods: Rainbows
  1. steve_jobs

steve_jobs Bison Rider

hey @Geti, are you gonna continue making stuff for shiprekt anyway? I mean, you just released it as an example mod, so yeah...

2. Potatobird

Potatobird Haxor Forum Moderator Mapping Moderator Tester Official Server Admin

On the one hand, it is a mod, but on the other, it is an official mod. I don't know if that changes anything.

But there have been modders / server owners making changes and additions to Shiprekt, so maybe this is suggestions for them as well? I'm not sure. But it seemed like a good place to put my ideas.

It's mostly just fun to think of new ideas for Shiprekt instead of normal KAG, because it's completely different.

3. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

This can be extended quite easily to any features - we're hoping it will help push the modding scene into doing something with a smaller starting point than KAG - you can read through all the code for shiprekt in an afternoon, and there are hardly any assets to worry about.

We're not really planning on expanding it, though we might have to figure out some way of dealing with the team merging thing, like putting all the losers into the same team or something.

4. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

What about making more of these 'Examples'?

5. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

We might, but we'd rather make more actual games. If modders are uninterested after we show them that in a few weeks using this engine we were able to build a destructible vehicle game from a completely different perspective, and then give them the source, I'm not so interested in helping them.

FuzzyBlueBaron and Arcrave like this.
  6. TerranMarine

TerranMarine Haxor

Islands would be nice, like it'd been told higher

7. Chrispin

Chrispin KAG Guard Tester

FWIW I've added harpoons already. Right now they only pull ships together if they exceed a maximum length (so no reeling/extending the rope), but they really cause no lag in comparison to massive ships with 20+ propellers going at the same time (which is the current problem since I added minicores). It doesn't help that the lag compensation is really bad for this engine. There is a big difference between what the server sees for your ship velocity and what your client sees and they constantly compete at times. I'm sure there's something modders can do about that, but damn it's bad.

As for the practical use for harpoons, there are a few surprisingly haha. My favorite is grappling a ghost ship loaded with bombs and dragging it into the enemy ship. I have a feeling that the ability to reel in others would be a little OP unless collision damage was nerfed some.

I like alot of the suggestions in this thread and sometime in the future I'll try to add more and fix what I've already broken, haha.

FuzzyBlueBaron and metalcallous like this.
  8. -Q

-Q Donator

Here's a quick one: disable water friction - in the current X6 shiprekt version (with grapples), I oft build a high-engine tugboat, grapple to a bigger boat, and drag them around into other big boats. lack of friction would allow flail-style gameplay

9. President_Obama

President_Obama Catapult Fodder

Shiprekt deserve a separate game.
    It's like FTL in realtime. And FTL is the freaking bomb.

AntonioModer and Chrispin like this.
  10. Can grappling hooks automatically draw a ship closer? And if you just want to keep them close by, but not wanting them to touch your ship you can just press the left mouse button again?

11. PandemicCommander

PandemicCommander Shipwright

Some manner of manual block destruction would help a ton. Especially when teammates build torpedoes into my boat, ignoring all my lovely couplings.

Potatobird likes this.
  12. Geti

We might end up doing this later on, making it a standalone. As it is it's exciting seeing things like Islandrekt taking off from it.

AntonioModer and metalcallous like this.
  13. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

PLZ MAKE SHIPREKT AN MMORPG PLZ.

I expect it done tomorrow. :wink:

14. Geti

/ban

Duplolas likes this.
Mods: Rainbows
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.