1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

Everything custom fails in KAG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Leo, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Leo

Leo Haxor

So, everything out of the default state of the game fails. And by "fail" I mean non-custom servers are basically dead. And by "custom" I don't mean huge mods like RPG or FUN CTF where you have a total conversion of the game but small modifications like custom maps or even a changed timer. Did you know that if I change the re-spawn time or the time before the battle begins even for a second my server will get the blue color ? Actually even if I change a "." to an "," server will get flagged as custom. I propose drastically changes on how this works.
    1. Totally remove the filters, they are confusing
    2. Remove the color for custom servers, it just scares the players away.
    3. Make an extra row in server list with a "Yes" or "No" in a "Default" title of the row.

Not even steam cares about default or custom servers with one million mods out there, I don't get why is SO important to you to clarify if a server using some settings out of the default really. If you don't make any changes you'll be left with an RPG and a FUN CTF servers out of the default, like now. Personally I will NOT use any kind of mods or changes to my servers as I am paying good money for the machine and if I am gonna left with empty servers for a changed timer I prefer to not do it. Thanks.

*Btw, in alpha I was using tones of scripts with absolutely no effects in server's popularity. Think about it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  2. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

If the default-ness of a server is being performed by a simple checksum, it probably can't differentiate between a comma and a rootkit.

3. bunnie

bunnie Haxor Tester

Erase the filter, erase the colours, official = gold, white = the rest. If someone wants their server to be known as modded, he will just add [Modded Server] or something like this at the end... People dont play in poor non-big gamemodes like gold rush or tower rush because they have a blue colour... And everyone is too lazy to change their filters...

crackwise, epenow, Guitrz and 2 others like this.
  4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

It's like the default settings for this game are terrible or something.

Guitarman likes this.
  5. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

You weren't the only one about this..

6. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

@RadioActive made a post about this, and I totally agree. Something needs to be done.

7. hugio88

hugio88 I am the king of KAG! Donator

What, i did D:

8. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

There was this server with a custom map and not flagged as modded, us based I believe, and a player @spl_itt_ing appeared to be admin there. Do you guys know why it's not flagged?

9. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Modded servers do receive a bit of grief they do not deserve.

They are paid for by members of the community who, by doing so, are making the game a better experience for everyone. So why punish them by scaring players off?

I do think that there needs to be some small sort of way for players to be able to tell the difference between a modded server and not from the basic server list, but not as drastic as changing the color of the name block to something different.

10. Apronymous

Apronymous Bison Rider

Not the same server, but maybe relevant?

11. RadioActive

RadioActive Guest

Nope, I did! :P I wasn't sure where should I post it. There are two simillar threads about custom things. This is the second: Still no new maps

and this is my post about which Kodysch mentioned here:

12. kodysch

kodysch Bison Rider Staff Alumni

Kag arena server, i was on today, it had custom maps and was not blue. Might have been fixed.

13. 8x

8x Elimination Et Choix Traduisant la Realité Forum Moderator Staff Alumni Tester
    1. The Young Blood Collective - [YB]

I think it's different: the server had a custom map and despite this it was not blue at the browser at any moment.

14. Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants

Sgnt_Sneeky-Pants Insanity Incarnate Donator

It'd be so nice if they would remove the mod filter altogether, it just segregates the community and makes it hard for server owners to customize their servers at all. Why not do like other games do, just put a disclaimer somewhere in the legal section and let people fart around with mods without constantly asking for permission? I mean, asking permission isn't going to protect you from some sort of mythical "KAG virus" if you say yes, so its basically just a nuisance.

Edit: Lovely to see nothing has changed in a month or so of away time.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Beelzebub likes this.
  15. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie

Like the list of mods used by the server that already exists

16. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Arsenist Administrator Global Moderator Tester
    1. MOLEing Over Large Estates - [MOLE]

Because of this:
    Apparently, if you change the mapcycle rather than the maps, and mix default and non-default maps, your server will only appear blue when a non-default map is playing.

tl;dr: @Geti plz fix and stop baide

17. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

You are still nagging the wrong guy. The modding system side of things is not my code.
    Everyone start sending a daily email to mm@thd.vg or something.

18. adamitude

adamitude Base Burner

I completely agree with this and I was about to make a post about this myself.

Indeed, I have tried changing some of the games rules on my server such as spawn items and respawn time but it marks it all as modded, and as you know, no one ever joins while it's in that state.

I'd love to see this change for the better.
    That's 1+ vote from me...
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 26, 2014 ---
    Got it. :wink: