1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hey Guest, is it this your first time on the forums?

Visit the Beginner's Box

Introduce yourself, read some of the ins and outs of the community, access to useful links and information.

Dismiss Notice

What happened to KAG?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fadeddeathkirby, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fadeddeathkirby

fadeddeathkirby Shipwright

When I first started playing KAG, I played the classic version, the version you could play for free. This version had so much potential in it and it was all together fun. I played that for a couple of months and decided to buy premium. All of these new options opened up to me and I realized that the game became more fun then playing for free. Another couple of months later, the creators announced a new version of the game. They had so much promise into the game. They made the game feel more unique and even better then the other version. They were even going to add farming into the game to help support your troops. The halls had a better system and it made me want to play.
    Finally after the game came out, I realized something. Almost nothing changed. Sure they added new content and made a more diverse system of fighting. Yet, it was lacking what they promised. Instead of putting all of their effort in the the game, they decided to remake a game that didn't need a remake. The saddest part is, they rely too much on the community. When the game was announced, they told us that they weren't going to make a zombie mode, or anything like it. Instead, they said that they'd leave it to the community to make them. I wasn't sure what to think about it.
    So in the end, my only question is, why don't they actually try to make the game better then the old one?

RiftEnigma, PinXviiN and miniu like this.
  2. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Fwiw, we literally put 10-14 hour days into the game for 3 years actively trying to make it better, listening as actively to the community as possible, and testing the comp side of things as much as we could.

Maybe we're just not that good, but I promise it's not for lack of trying.

NB: this is the polite version of "hey fuck you guy i put my heart and soul into that game".

3. 101i

101i Haxor Forum Moderator Tester

@Geti, we get it that try hard to create KAG as good as it is. There are a few feature thought that were brought up that you didn't imply, like the 200 heads+ or Mongolian Horde mode.
    I personally understand that you have the talent to create games with things like this so this is why i personally hope to follow you to what ever games you next develop because I know that are going to be just as amazing, if not better than KAG.
    tl;dr We all love you geti <3.

4. sinitreo

sinitreo Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Zen Laboratories

Kag Beta has like 20000x more potential.
    And even though KAG needs high polishing, docs for modding API and reconsideration of some parts of the game, it remains being super cool game.

LOLd. I think you took it wrong. It was NOT transition from KAG I to KAG II. It was transition from alpha to beta.

The saddest part is that they relied too much on the community, while not having the modding environment fully prepared. After messing with it for a while, I got uncertain feelings.
    The modding API it self is totally awesome. KAG is pretty much a game engine and you can do things that are totally unrelated to KAG.
    On the other side, beginners will have a hard time trying to figure out what's going on, since documentation is missing and most of the default scripts are too complicated. Also there is no guide, no best practices list. There is no hello world mod, after all.
    Also Angelscript function handles are not working :QQ:

I'm afraid most of the THD crew will be focusing on Facebook projects now. Also Transmigration: Into Darkness Peering was announced recently...

Waky, Sir_Walter, Vampire and 5 others like this.
  5. Duplolas

Duplolas So Sad

Potential and Realism are far from the same.

Everything in the world has a great amount of potential. I do, you do, Hitler did. But Hitler dun fucked up.

KAG had a lot of potential and still does. Just because devs rely upon the community for a lot of added content doesn't make the game bad, infact, it allows for more potential.

Realistically, this is all they can do by themselves, which is where the community comes in.

The more open the game is to the community, the more that can be added. Look at games like Gmod. It is completely community reliant, and yet, it is one of Steam's best sellers.

There are even more great examples of this. TF2, Counter-Strike, and even Goat Simulator are just a few more.

If I see a game that relies on their community to add in a lot of stuff, I see a game that has a lot of backing, and a lot of support. A game that has a lot of love.

I don't know if this has been said before, so props to me if it hasn't:

A strong man may travel on his own and make it to where he wants to go, but a weak man traveling with his friends will get to where he needs to go and enjoy the journey.

I think @Geti and the rest of the devs know this. They know that they are not in it alone.

:wink:

6. Geti

Geti Please avoid PMing me (poke a mod instead) THD Team Administrator Global Moderator

Re: Transmigration - fwiw THD has grown quite a bit and Transmigration is handled by a separate part of the company; MM is producing it but not too involved in development.

Re: "its ok we love you" - it's cool guys, I'm a big boy used to fielding crap from the internet all day, but thanks for the support :^)

---

not the place for it, but...
    Re: AS handles - they are working and have multiple usage examples in the vanilla code, not sure what trouble you're having with them sinitreo. We could make a hello world mod but it seems like such a waste and that people would really struggle to make the step from printing text to implementing gameplay features, so we've opted for a significantly more hands on approach.

Here's hello world fwiw, printing to console.
    Code:
    // helloworld.as - set in rules scripts
    void onInit(CRules@ this)
    {
      print("hello world");
    }
    And a graphical example (renders top left of screen)
    Code:
    // helloworldGFX.as - set in rules scripts
    void onRender(CRules@ this)
    {
      GUI::DrawText( "hello world", Vec2f(10,10), SColor(0xffffffff) );
    }

Sir_Walter, Asu, Waky and 4 others like this.
  7. sinitreo

sinitreo Shopkeep Stealer
    1. Zen Laboratories

I've posted a question with my issue at the modding section.

Also, regardless of how development is going, you got my love for how the game looks like ^_^

8. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

What happened to squeezing? they took out the best feature from classic. Falling through the ground in release lacks that sense of being churned through the world's sphincter.

9. Humblar_Tabulu

Humblar_Tabulu TURTLE Turtle turtle... Donator

What happened to KAG?

It grew up! From a little, scratchy-voiced pubescent teen, to a Burly, Deep-voiced MANLY MAN!

10. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

Ninja12 and Duplolas like this.
  11. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

Hearkening back to the rigorous definition of "potential", the fact that KAG development has surmounted some number of goals is equivalent to the fact that KAG has lost potential.
    This allows for numerous useless quantitative conclusions: The force of KAG development is equal to the path derivative of KAG's potential in space.
    Assuming a monotonic potential function, the rate of acceleration of KAG development will therefore steadily decrease over time (where its speed is the rate at which it traverses the potential field), and, assuming that zero potential corresponds to the ideal, flawless implementation of the very essence of KAG, this acceleration will decrease asymptotically, resulting in constant speed in the limit at infinite time.

To draw some physical meaning from this model, we must construct approximations: The limit can be thought of as time > t_0, where t_0 is witness to a dearth of updates, such that the average player will expect no more than an occasional bugfix. Since this corresponds to constant "speed", the KAG community will ideally stay the same size (going off of the further result that KAG development, being asymptotic, has also reached a nearly ideal state in the limit, so that the existing community will be in a perpetually ecstatic state and never leave).

Unfortunately, my measurement of KAG potential is as good as yours, which is frankly awful.

Beef likes this.
  12. Geti

This needs to be summarised as an infographic with more colourful graphs and equations (msword has a surprisingly good equation builder fwiw).

Sir_Walter and Asu like this.
  13. epenow

epenow Oppressed banana cookie
    1. Archers [Arch] (Recruiting)

death*

huehyehuehue I'm so smart

14. ShnitzelKiller

ShnitzelKiller Haxor

true to your title I see. Though I hope you know what dearth means; otherwise, I have gravely misjudged my target audience.

15. @Geti

Here's hello world fwiw, printing to console.
    Code:
    // helloworld.as - set in rules scripts
    void onInit(CRules@ this)
    {
      print("hello world");
    }
    And a graphical example (renders top left of screen)
    Code:
    // helloworldGFX.as - set in rules scripts
    void onRender(CRules@ this)
    {
      GUI::DrawText( "hello world", Vec2f(10,10), SColor(0xffffffff) );
    }
    Dude as a noob in coding and stuff I needed this. Thanks man.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  16. ccnc

ccnc Catapult Fodder

I never found those 10-14 hours in the game, how do they look like?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hours

Selfnote: geti == Beta tester

17. Ifeedonfrenzy

Ifeedonfrenzy Catapult Fodder

I will say, Death of Updates does have a certain ring to it.

Sir_Walter and epenow like this.
  18. KingXandercosm

KingXandercosm Shipwright

I hate the fools who say Classic was better. The whole point of Alpha, is that it's supposed to be an improvement! So please, you sad fools who just want to complain for the sake of complaining, shut up already!

19. Chaoticredux

Chaoticredux Shopkeep Stealer

My only complaint with kag is the declining playerbase. When i first started playing kag there were 60 player servers , towers with 3-4 catapult emplacements. It was all out carnage. Kag feels like a wasteland compared to what it used to be.

Brandon816 and epenow like this.
  20. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Ballista Bolt Thrower

Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that there is no tactical value in spending time building cool castles that can actually stop knights because if you somehow manage to make one tall enough it just gets kegged to death in seconds
    --- Double Post Merged, May 8, 2014 ---
    Surely

Sir_Walter, NinjaCell, MadDog and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.